• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

June boat players

Status
Not open for further replies.

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
7 had 19 go with 4 Dq's
9 had 10 guys with one field down then 9 guys to the boat with 1 DQ.

I went to two boats and can say without a doubt that the Kingsville LSO's talk to their guys much more so than the Meridian LSO's. I am not saying that this is bad. I actually think that all the LSO's should be more like the Kingsville LSO's. Giving guys some sugar calls the first few times is a smart thing. There does need to be some standardization. All I got was "Roger Ball". Some Meridian guys got talked to but usually it was after a pass. Like the "button 18 for rep" call or "dont ever come in that underpowered again." There was not much "Your high at the 90" or "easy with it and a little power now" from the Meridian LSO's. There were good guys from both wings. I can try and upload my hud tape with the audio. Then everyone can here for themselves what was said to and by whom.

The Kingsville guys have a leg up on the Meridian guys when it comes to flying and proficen. Sure it is nice to have the cool digital toys in the "C". But who do you think will be a better and more consistent pilot.

A. Pilot in a "C" that takes two years to complete a 10 month program flying numerous warm ups. Example: I flew 1 time in November, once in December, twice in January, then I hit the motherload in Feb with 4 flights.
B. Pilot in a "A" that takes 8-10 months to complete a 10 month program flying consistently.
C. Pilot in a Piper Cub that wants to know what his chances of getting jets are?
D. Wintersibs

You make the call! Maybe I should make that a poll.

And as much as I hate to admit it :tapedshut everyone got the smack laid down on them :fight_125 buy a female :icon_woma in VT-7. She quald in about 2 and a half hours. :eek: Thats right boys and girls the fastest qualifier in recent history. One trip to the boat with 10 traps, 10 cats and 4 T&G's all in 2.5hrs. Who's your daddy now? :icon_boxi

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
Mefesto said:
I know who you're talking about... I can't believe no one has said anything around the squadron about that! She def. earned a BZ from everyone for that. WOW!
why? i had a 3.0 at the boat with no bolters or W/Os when i qualed in the T-45, and was top hook, but nobody kissed my ass, or is it because it's a chick? i got winged with a chick who had 1 DQ & 5 downs (and got Hornets) ... nobody kissed her ass?

S/F

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
jarhead said:
why? i had a 3.0 at the boat with no bolters or W/Os when i qualed in the T-45, and was top hook, but nobody kissed my ass, or is it because it's a chick? i got winged with a chick who had 1 DQ & 5 downs (and got Hornets) ... nobody kissed her ass?

S/F

Feeling stiffed?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
You guys are getting all excited about a woman with a tailhook ??? Naaaaaa ..... that's old news ...... that's nothin' ....... been done before .... what's the big deal there ???

Personally, I will not be satisfied until the Navy CQ's ..... it's first Dwarf .... and this guy is on his way --- he's not too far off --- already got his S/H and helmet ..... ?? HOOOYAH !!! ROGER BALL .....

dwarftossing7wb.jpg
.... as pictured with his LSO .... (throttle back, relax, the :)'ing lamp is still lit .....)

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
It has nothing to do with a female tail hooker. Its how she accomplished her qual. She did it from start to finish in 2.5 hours. Thats the launch from the beach to landing back at the beach with the carrier 120 miles off shore. 10 traps 10 cats and 4 touch and go's in record time. The Airboss called back to the beach and asked for a waiver to get er done because she was flying so well. I wasnt making a big deal about her qualing, just how she did it. I watched her hud tape and must say she has some mad jedi skills. Her Kung Fu was strong that day my friends.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Huh??? Just trying to bring a little levity to the discussion. I guess the theater of absurd satire is escaping us ??? Perhaps some guys left their sense of "humor" (?) on the #1 wire .... ???

*Sigh* So far to go .... and so little time. Just kidding :) , Dave --- I could care less if "she" was a "he" was an "it" .... it just doesn't matter.

But since you brought it up; and so everyone understands how it really works --- 'casue face it --- most of you DON'T --- so what if it was 2.5 hours ??? That's good; it's GREAT ... helps the program and everyone looks good, no doubt. BUT: Anytime a STUD can do that, she/he/it was LUCKY --- because everything --- the ship, searoom, how everyone else is flying the pattern (or was it empty/partially empty ?? :) ) , the deck, the arresting gear, the air department, refueling, the weather, the # of STUDs at the ship (at that one 2.5 hours in time) --- plus the solid performance of the individual student --- all was working in harmony.

Luck was the handmaiden of "2.5 hour" success here .... not skill and experience 'cause there WASN'T any experience --- and there's only limited "skill" on initial CQ. I've had good STUDs -- top grades -- who fell on their face at the BOAT. I've also had average STUDs who blossomed and were Tigers on that particular day. Any one of them would have been better with a little "luck". I'd rather be lucky than good anyday --- but hard work on the part of everyone (plus a little ... luck ???) usually makes one "lucky"...

My initial RAG CQ took 10 hours to accomplish 6 day and 4 night in the rolling San Clemente channel on the first day -- no waivers asked nor offered. NOTHING worked right. And I ended up the CQ det 2 days later as "Top Hook" among the Nuggets AND the fleet re-quals. So what?? I was "UN" lucky that first day, I guess ..... and what did my "skill" earn me? A trip to Cubi, scared sh!tless and by myself, to join a deployed squadron. Every other Nugget stayed home and joined squadrons that were working up Stateside. Sometimes you lose for winning .....

Your female STUD certainly deserves any accolades she earned --- but what's that got to do with Dwarfs CQ'ing ??? ..... I'm not trying to argue anything ... you might consider lightening up or you're gonna have a heart attack by the time you're 40 . :)

Jesus ..... time to go squeeze some limes .....

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
Fly Navy said:
Feeling stiffed?
na, not really, i could care less as it was 4 years ago and nobody in the fleet gives a crap how well you did in the T-45 at the boat ...

by the way, congrates to all who qualed, big accomplishment

S/F

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
jarhead said:
na, not really, i could care less as it was 4 years ago and nobody in the fleet gives a crap how well you did in the T-45 at the boat ...

by the way, congrates to all who qualed, big accomplishment

S/F
Yeah, we had one of those, "Well, back in my T-45 days" guys in my squadron. He was savaged daily in the readyroom until he STFU. :)

Good times,

Brett

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
SUGGESTION: why don't you boat STUDs do a thread like this every month ... July's here ... August is just around the corner. If there's not enough interest of not enough STUDs for a boat --- fine, do it the next month. You might want to encompass bouncing as well ?? It's up to you guys .... you're the ones doing it.

All things being equal --- this might be a good place to pick up information, "gouge", and lessons learned during the post-mortem .... its has always worked that way now and forever in carrier aviation. From a purely selfish point of view --- it's interesting to me to see how the carrier Aviator's mind works these days ..... because you know what I think .......

Blacky

Props, baby!
pilot
A4sForever said:
All things being equal --- this might be a good place to pick up information, "gouge", and lessons learned during the post-mortem .... its has always worked that way now and forever in carrier aviation. From a purely selfish point of view --- it's interesting to me to see how the carrier Aviator's mind works these days ..... because you know what I think .......

Well, one lesson learned by the Meridian guys is that you CAN qual in 2.5 hours if all 5 of the other guys in the pattern have to BINGO home cuz they can't stick it. Punk, how come ya'll didn't do that for me?? I mean, where's the love?

In any case, congrats to all the CQers. It was a blast, I'm sure, for everyone and something that we will all remember. Until next time.....

BigWorm

Marine Aviator
pilot
http://balder.prohosting.com/bobcat21/cqsmall.wmv

Here’s a video from the CQ. I've got a few more pics, and more video, if anybody else from meridian, or k-rock has some footage, or pics, send me a pm. I’m working on one of those moto videos, once I get some more time.
The free hosting site is probably going to crash pretty soon, so if you want to watch, right click, and download, so as not to use up all the bandwidth.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
BigWorm said:
I’m working on one of those moto videos, once I get some more time.

Nice rough video, Worm --- I got all excited as I heard the "rush" of the platform --- hope those guys didn't give away too many LSO "secrets" .... :)

There's a precedent if you do a really "polished" job and maybe some $$$ for you also. One of our B/N's made a video out of a bunch of 8mm film he had accumulated over the the course of a couple of cruises. It was a 10-15 minute (?) version of a launch -- AirWing Alpha strike -- and recovery. He did a very professional job --- video/audio/great music --- even included SAM smoke trails, the target on the receiving end, and the unfortunate loss of an A-7. Exciting and stirring at first --- melancholy at the end.

Grumman was so impressed that they bought it and used it for a while for PR purposes ....

BigWorm

Marine Aviator
pilot
Other than I felt like I was on a party boat, with the non-stop ball busting, and looking at some of their gucci "state of the art" computer screens - I didn't learn any secrets.

I got some awesome footage from the SDO atop vulture's row, but it's almost un-viewable - I think either the radar, or some sort of electromagneticthermoemiterthing messed up the electron transfer sequence in my camcorder.

Status
Not open for further replies.