• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

June boat players

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigWorm

Marine Aviator
pilot
Knock on wood…I’ve never been in a car crash, but I would describe it more as a combination of loosing my virginity and crashing a car at the same time. I logged a couple T&G’s, then boltered twice, closing in on my bingo fuel for a trick or treat. Fortunately it was a lucky 4 treat. That first trap and then the first cat shot was the best experience of my life!

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
BigWorm said:
..... I logged a couple T&G’s, then bol(s)tered (sic) twice,

Good job, also, on the quick edit, Worm ... but your original spelling of the word bolter (reproduced above) will just not allow us nor this old LSO to let you get away that easy ..... to wit:

vf61bolter2001uw.jpg
.....BOLTER
bolsterpillowbig2eg.jpg
....BOLSTER (sic)

But who's to say there is no place for a nice, bolstered pillow in the cockpit ... ?? Certainly not I ......

BTW, old saying: There is no slack in light attack --- or heavy or medium, for that matter. Welcome to the "Club" ... :)

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
Nice pics, have any with AC number 174 or 126 on them. You need to upload the video as well. Qualing was def a blast.

beau

I "think" it has to due with dumping the throttle to catch a High ball going off the top of the lens, then not adding power ....only to drop the ball (usually).......
This gives you a situation where you are way back on the power when you hit the deck and spool up time is increased.....
you never want to hit the deck with throttles at idle...(dont put the power in the bucket).

then again I'm only in fams....so what do I know?? :)

anyone with experiance back this up?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
To touch down on the deck and not go to FULL POWER is an indication that you are better suited for flying in the Air Force. If you touch down and bolter, hook-skip, or have a hook/wire failure and go decelling off the angle while the power is still spooling up --- it's seat-time or bye, bye sailor man .....

It also means you may be subconsciously "spotting" the deck and/or anticipating a wire --- in either case you are not following the program as you've been trained and are heading for a short and undistinguished career as a carrier Naval Aviator....

RHPF

pilot
Contributor
BigWorm said:
Knock on wood…I’ve never been in a car crash, but I would describe it more as a combination of loosing my virginity and crashing a car at the same time. I logged a couple T&G’s, then boltered twice, closing in on my bingo fuel for a trick or treat. Fortunately it was a lucky 4 treat. That first trap and then the first cat shot was the best experience of my life!

Wow Worm, congrats on the accomplishment. Losing your virginity in a car crash sounds like a pretty intense experience, enjoy it.

BTW what do the A's, B's (and apparently C's) signify?

Blacky

Props, baby!
pilot
Yeah, I don't know how that guy did it. I mean, as soon as I touched down the rapid deceleration forced my throttle hand to fly forward, thus bringing me to mil. I think he must have really concentrated on staying at idle. Anyway, it was a blast and it was great to see that velocity vectors and digital flight instruments actually hurt your flying. Thank God the E-2 doesn't have all that crap. Yay for VSI and RADALT!

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I don't know whether digitals would help or hurt as I never had the luxury of flying them while working for UNCLE .... but there is no substitute for a VSI, RADALT, ALTIMETER, and AOA in the pattern at the ship .... Oh yeah, and a head's up SA Aviator as well .....some things never change.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
UInavy said:
......Of course, it may have just been more flight time that helped increase my scan as well.

BINGO!! No matter how good you are, no matter how good the equipment is --- there is no substitute for experience and time in the "saddle".

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
What happens to the studs who do not qualify when they go to the boat? Are they attrited, or are they sent back to make another attempt at a later date?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
zippy said:
What happens to the studs who do not qualify when they go to the boat? Are they attrited, or are they sent back to make another attempt at a later date?
I have never seen/heard of a STUD get attrited on a first boat failure. UNCLE has too much invested in them .... a second boat?? That's a different question.

Think about it like this: if said STUD was good enough at the end of the day to go to the boat in the first place, why sh!tcan them after a pucker-failure-first day look at USS BOAT ?? The LSO would never have certified the STUD "O.K." to go after the bounces if there were serious doubts .... some STUDS might be marginal after the bounces ..... but not UNSAT or they will never "Call the Ball" for the first time over blue water ....

Status
Not open for further replies.