• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Jonny Kim solos the T-6

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
With the current state of manning, especially at the O-6 level, I won’t be surprised to see more wings like this. I think the current selection rate to O-6 in the AF is 65%. A lot of guys don’t want to deal with the O-6 level of bureaucracy, especially pilots who can retire as an O-5 and get an airline job. It’ll be interesting to see how the next several years go.

While they might get a few decent ones my experience second-hand, and knowing plenty who were experiencing it first-hand, it probably won't go very well more often than not unfortunately.

That and the hot-runners/superstars/golden children who make it to O-6 by 18 years are just a few of the things I won't ever quite get used to with the USAF.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Found a bunch of USAF Brigadier General bios just now with a 2Lt commissioning date in 1994 who pinned 1-star in 2019, so 25 years seems to be the default.

Then again, Lt Gen Joseph Carroll will probably always be the Air Force’s record-holder…

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Guys used to be able to be picked up double below the zone which rocketed them through the ranks. The AF got rid of BTZ promotions so it’ll be much more difficult to get to O-6 by 18 years.

WannaFlyHigh

As per Jonny Kim’s latest Instagram post he states “Navy and NASA generously afforded me an opportunity to go through all of flight school to be a dual designated aviator (flight surgeon + aviator).”

This man is just doing side missions at this point.

His reply is in the comments (Link)

Last edited:

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Guys used to be able to be picked up double below the zone which rocketed them through the ranks. The AF got rid of BTZ promotions so it’ll be much more difficult to get to O-6 by 18 years.
There's nothing wrong with this IF you have a screening process that can weed out toxic personalities who're willing to get ahead on the backs of their people.

Unfortunately, as long as the Navy promotion system hinges on making your reporting senior happy and only making your reporting senior happy, deep-deep selecting folks is probably playing with fire. I'm not as cynical as I used to be about the Navy's promotion process, because a lot of the truly toxic personalities I dealt with in the active component either didn't make O-5 or at least didn't make operational CO. But I'm still somewhat cynical, because there's still a few too many "that person made WHAT?" arcing around who I'd have fired in a heartbeat in the private sector.

Bottom line: there's three groups of people in any organization. The rockstars who get it naturally, those who should be let go for their own good, and the tweeners. I don't care how much of a rockstar you are as an individual if you can't turn around and make as many tweeners as good as they can be. Because the net benefit to the organization is so much greater. But Big Navy promotes the star quarterback, running back, or wide receiver, and just assumes that means he can coach. Not so.

How in the heck is this guy for real? In addition to being a SEAL, pilot, and Harvard trained doctor, he graduated summa cum laude in math in only three years. What makes this accomplishment even more amazing is that he somehow squeezed in all the requirements for medical school, like bio and organic chemistry, in addition to all those difficult math classes and university requirements.

Will this guy be running for president someday?

Skywalker

Student Naval Aviator
How in the heck is this guy for real? In addition to being a SEAL, pilot, and Harvard trained doctor, he graduated summa cum laude in math in only three years. What makes this accomplishment even more amazing is that he somehow squeezed in all the requirements for medical school, like bio and organic chemistry, in addition to all those difficult math classes and university requirements.

Will this guy be running for president someday?
There’s a several hour interview with Jocko Willinck out there, you should listen to it.

He’s just a guy who enjoys challenges, and through his success at those challenges other opportunities have availed themselves. You’re probably too late to be a SEAL, but what’s stopping you from becoming a naval aviator and doctor? Fancy a law degree maybe?

Why are you people all having an orgasm over this guy? Come on now.
How many people have you met in this world who have accomplished what he has? If I met someone who accomplished even of the following, that would be impressive enough, but one person accomplishing all three?

Navy SEAL

Summa cum laude in math after only three years in college

Harvard Medical School graduate

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
How many people have you met in this world who have accomplished what he has? If I met someone who accomplished even of the following, that would be impressive enough, but one person accomplishing all three?

Navy SEAL

Summa cum laude in math after only three years in college

Harvard Medical School graduate
Well…I kinda know a dude who started as little more than an Oregon hippie with a GED, went on the Naval Academy, finished and then entered flight school where he earned his NFO wings and later flew combat strikes in the long war. He graduated from the Naval War College (with some distinction I guess) and commanded the navy’s Airborne Electronic Attack Weapons School (that they somehow twist into the acronym HAVOC).

But, to be fair, life does come full circle and today he is kind of a new-age hippie idling his days away wearing tropical shirts, sipping Mai Tai’s, and watching the sun set over the Pacific….you’ll probably be hearing from him soon.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Why are you people all having an orgasm over this guy? Come on now.

I think the funny part is that people are having a cow over him soloing in a Primary trainer. While the T-6 is high performance and fun to fly, for someone with his background and qualifications, it’s honestly not surprising that he should be able to absorb the Primary syllabus and solo successfully. Be a red flag if he couldn’t.

It’s like wetting your pants over Tom Brady completing another touchdown pass. Good job, but also, duh.

When he recovers a jet successfully after losing all four displays off the cat stroke, or flawlessly tanks off the KC135 at night, gimme a call. Meanwhile, I’ll continue with my atmosphere-limited flying career.
;)

Last edited: