• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Jonny Kim solos the T-6

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
"Lt. Cmdr. Kim's minor inflight malfunction involved an indicator light that the onboard oxygen system had a problem," Larson told The War Zone. "He never experienced an actual problem with the oxygen."
Yay, more OBOGS shenanigans . . . :confused:

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Interesting, I wonder if he would get winged out of his training. Always been curious what if any wings non-aviator/NFO Navy astronauts receive, if any. The USAF and Army just have standard astronaut wings for all their (officer) astronauts while the Navy is the only one that gives different wings to pilots and FO's. Strangely enough at least according to the internets the Coasties award their astronauts (they've had two) NFO Astronaut wings, even if they are pilots.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Interesting, I wonder if he would get winged out of his training. Always been curious what if any wings non-aviator/NFO Navy astronauts receive, if any. The USAF and Army just have standard astronaut wings for all their (officer) astronauts while the Navy is the only one that gives different wings to pilots and FO's. Strangely enough at least according to the internets the Coasties award their astronauts (they've had two) NFO Astronaut wings, even if they are pilots.
NASA civilian pilots get these…

02AB9538-9248-4366-9803-FD6930CDEEE4.jpeg

I had no idea about the USCG! Interesting.

HuggyU2

None
The commercial astronaut wings have been issued by the FAA (so far) and look like this.

Attachments

• D5BA0E87-CA42-4735-B446-9FBCEC4A7105.png
    D5BA0E87-CA42-4735-B446-9FBCEC4A7105.png
    52.3 KB · Views: 17

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
NASA civilian pilots get these…

View attachment 35337

I had no idea about the USCG! Interesting.

He's still Navy though, not a civilian. There were two previous SEAL astronauts, I never saw them wearing anything other than their SEAL pin so maybe they don't get astronaut wings? I'm sure they are devastated...

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
He's still Navy though, not a civilian. There were two previous SEAL astronauts, I never saw them wearing anything other than their SEAL pin so maybe they don't get astronaut wings? I'm sure they are devastated...
Great question…I don’t know and I’ll bet they are unhappy. Maybe put the NASA “shooting star” symbol on their tridents!

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Non-pilot Navy astronauts get NFO Astronaut wings once they've flown, but a lot of them continue to wear their "Fleet" warfare device on their flight suit name tags and on the rare occasions they're in uniform. 1656524042214.pngKayla Barron just came back from ISS last month; remains to be seen if she still wears her Dolphins.