• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Jonny Kim solos the T-6

exNavyOffRec

That place is so many types of fun, it's actually dangerous. In some ways, I'm glad I didn't go there in my single 20s.

:D
I did, and before they required liberty buddies, so I was wandering through random streets in Pattaya Beach. The only reason nothing bad happened to me is I didn't go in any questionable places, and it was daytime.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My mistake, please let me know what pot-smoke filled, west coast hippie academy of higher learning you attended and I’ll correct myself.
Would it surprise you to know that I attended a private Catholic university? ?

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Would it surprise you to know that I attended a private Catholic university? ?
Having not actually known the young @Brett327 I can’t say but I will note that the Catholics tend to put their best efforts into higher education.

But, to all of the AW community, I owe @Brett327 an apology for assuming he attended the U.S. Naval Academy. By association, if any AW members are graduates of the USNA please consider this a blanket apology for assuming @Brett327 could qualify to attend the same. If this leaves anyone else upset…just get over it.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Has anyone seen any prior SEALs go through flight school? Or enlist SEAL and go to OCS as a SNA/SNFO?

As others have mentioned some prior SEAL's go through flight training, the ones I've known of have become Naval, Marine and Army aviators. Is it common? No, but it has happened enough that we even had one on here for a time.

The one guy I personally knew graduated a year ahead of me from my college then enlisted and became a SEAL. He later went through OCS after his initial tour, I later ran into him at Flora-Bama while he was in A-pool of all places and found out later he ended up flying EP-3's.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Pilot in my reserve squadron was prior enlisted SEAL. It isn't common, but I wonder if it is really so rare given the small pool of candidates (SEALs) to begin with.

Anthony2000

PRO-REC Y SNA
This guy was a navy pilot, then SEAL, and then senate candidate.

Oh yea, and he also has a Harvard MBA.

Still, it seems that Jonny Kim is a tad more impressive.

Wow that’s crazy. I wonder how he was able to leave the aviation community so soon. That is almost an automatic NO if requested to leave as a pilot for another community. 9 out of 10 times you have to be kicked out of the aviation community to Lateral transfer to another community.

villo0692

Wow that’s crazy. I wonder how he was able to leave the aviation community so soon. That is almost an automatic NO if requested to leave as a pilot for another community. 9 out of 10 times you have to be kicked out of the aviation community to Lateral transfer to another community.
one of my recruiters told me that she knew one guy who was in the aviation training pipeline and was medically grounded, so he re designated and went to BUDs, now he's a SEAL. so perhaps is a similar story. Don't think Mr Gomez would have been allowed to go to SpecWar had he gotten kicked out of aviation due to disciplinary or safety reasons. JUST SPECULATING here btw

JoeBob1788

one of my recruiters told me that she knew one guy who was in the aviation training pipeline and was medically grounded, so he re designated and went to BUDs, now he's a SEAL. so perhaps is a similar story. Don't think Mr Gomez would have been allowed to go to SpecWar had he gotten kicked out of aviation due to disciplinary or safety reasons. JUST SPECULATING here btw
Different guy, but my father in law DOR’d from flight school because he was going crazy during the class up wait time in the early 80s. After 7 years infantry officer, jumped to the Navy for 23 more years as a SEAL.

Had a O in EOD school who failed out and went straight to flight school. In OCS (last month) we had EOD, SWCC, and a couple of Marine CSOs all headed to Pensacola. I think there’s more crossover than people realize.