• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

January 09 Boards

DFSpence

Congrats Spence!! I'm sure you and OU will have a dandy time together (as napolean dynamite would say "LUCKY")

Yea I'm pretty good with a bow staff so hopefully I'll be fine. :D

I have looked around this site and Navy OCS, but have yet to find a concrete list of exactly what to bring such as X pairs of socks and X pairs of tighty whities. My OR just sent me a link to the heath alvarez site but that 8 year old info. This sounds like something OU would have a good answer for followed by a clever quip. Care to take a stab at it Ryan?

Charity

Final Select SNA
Yea I'm pretty good with a bow staff so hopefully I'll be fine. :D

I have looked around this site and Navy OCS, but have yet to find a concrete list of exactly what to bring such as X pairs of socks and X pairs of tighty whities. My OR just sent me a link to the heath alvarez site but that 8 year old info. This sounds like something OU would have a good answer for followed by a clever quip. Care to take a stab at it Ryan?

It looks like I'll be joining you guys on the 15th as I couldn't get my date changed. I'm flying to Providence on the 14th.

Leviticus

pro-rec SNA
this is a list that another member sent me. she said she'd update me when she could about the list and what is/is not necessary and what might be missing. I hope it helps.

OCS list

Leave in car (depending on DI you will get to go to your POV on Sundays)
~Stay flow x 3 cans
~Heavy starch x 3 cans
~ Magic sizing (light starch) x 3 cans
~ hair spray (to hold creases)
~Powerbars
~Iron (get a really good one)
~Phone and car charger

Other stuff
~ Tide pens x 4 (or more) (do not get bleach pens, they stain your whites)
~ Clear nail polish (for uniforms)
~ Black strap for glasses (you need to bring your own glasses too because you might not be issued BDGs for awhile)
~ Tweezers (for uniforms)
~ 6-8 pairs of white underwear (all white preferably, no gray strap on the top guys)
~ Cuticle scissors (for uniforms)
~ Atm card
~ 100-300 bucks cash (if you have it, bring 300, if not there is an ATM machine but no say in when you will be able to use it)
~ Checkbook
~ Toothbrush (2-3)
~ Toothpaste
~ Deodorant
~ 2 white towels
~ Wrist watch – black (mostly black is ok)
~ 6-8 white crew neck t-shirts (crew neck only)
~ Lots of white crew socks ( you can’t bring all in, but you will want a lot, you go thru them)
~ Copy of orders (5 copies)
~ Bring contacts if you have them (you can wear them when you are a candio)
~ 2 pairs of shoes
~ Alarm clock no radio
~ Stationary
~ Women bring swimsuit (dark colored)
~ googone (liquid, the other stuff won’t work, don’t get the gel)
~ Black Sharpee marker
~ soap and shampoo

Anything you can’t bring in with you when you start can stay in your car and you will be able to go out and get it later.
Little stuff like googone, the sharpee, tweezers etc…can be put into a black hygiene bag. You will be able to take this black hygiene bag with you.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
I'm bringing a ton of Vaseline too. The butt crack and inner thighs will definitely chafe. I also heard to bring a head lamp (to study when it's lights out time). Also, I'm going to stock up on gatorade for my car too and snacks. I will also bring a ton of Ibuprofen as well.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
Yes to keep in my car. I also heard to bring No Doze because I heard we'll be up for a couple days at a time without sleep to get ready for RLP Inspection.

Charity

Final Select SNA
If you keep stuff in your car, can you go get it when you need it? I want to take ibuprofen but am not taking my car.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
Find someone to stash your stuff into their vehicle. They will call it a POV there though. (Personally Owned Vehicle). Sometimes when they feel nice, and definitely after INDOC week...we will be allowed "POV runs".

The longer we are there..the more freedoms we will be allowed. I have a good sized SUV now (just bought it) and others will also be more than happy to let you put stuff in it.

During these POV runs..it's just a good chance to escape from the suckiness, eat some sweets, down some gatorade and zone out for a few minutes.

Charity

Final Select SNA
Find someone to stash your stuff into their vehicle. They will call it a POV there though. (Personally Owned Vehicle). Sometimes when they feel nice, and definitely after INDOC week...we will be allowed "POV runs".

The longer we are there..the more freedoms we will be allowed. I have a good sized SUV now (just bought it) and others will also be more than happy to let you put stuff in it.

During these POV runs..it's just a good chance to escape from the suckiness, eat some sweets, down some gatorade and zone out for a few minutes.

Okay, what are things besides painkillers that you would need to keep in your car? What can you not take in with you?

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
Also, I would advise everyone not to continue to read the diaries and what not. Spend the rest of your time enjoying yourselves and getting ready to go.

No matter how much we gouge up or read the "day to day" happenings on the internets...we won't know what it's like or be "ready" for anything.

So if anybody is torturing themselves...STOP! :)

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
Okay, what are things besides painkillers that you would need to keep in your car? What can you not take in with you?

Anything we're "really" going to need will be issued to us. The stuff in the list will be fine.

All the other stuff that I listed and what you find by perusing the site..are "nice to haves".

We will have an opportunity pretty soon to go to the Navy Exchange and purchase things that will be needed. I believe they will also issue some pain killers as well. That's why we cannot bring stuff with us.

Also, wear tennis shoes when you report, don't worry about civilian clothing really...if you "must", I guess bring a couple shirts and pants but we won't see them until we graduate anyway I suppose.