• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

January 09 Boards

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
Oh, okay I'm going Navy so PRT.

A lot of people submit without their MEPS physical and their PRT scores. This information though is needed if/once you get pro-rec'd for whatever designator you wanted.

Then upon pro-rec you get your final select after your MEPS,PRT, and security screen is processed and approved.

SOME officer recruiters just feel more comfortable (like mine for instance) about sending the whole thing in with the kit. I'm not sure if having a complete kit at the boards weighs any more than someone who has not done the PRT or the MEPS...(some officer recruiters peruse these threads, maybe they can answer that)...

Point is, it is very normal to submit without the medical and fitness information. Maybe your OR is just hesitant because of your murmur..and he/she just wants to play it safe to make sure you can get a waiver approved.

What designator are you applying for? What are your stats?

Charity

Final Select SNA
I'm applying SNA, and NFO.

25 year old female
ASTB: 5/6/5 49
B.A. Health and Kinesiology 3.2 gpa
M.S. Clinical Exercise Physiology 3.8 gpa
College cross country(team captian), track, triathlons
Black belt in American Nippon Kenpo
Lots of community service
3 LORs: college professor, martial arts instructor, college cross country coach

nebekerb

Final Select SNA
Contributor
I sent my package up for the November board, but I got rolled over to this one. I'm only applying for SNA. I also have an app in for the Marines, but that's another subject altogether.

25 years old
Prior enlisted in the Marines for 5 years (Sergeant - Radio Technician)
B.S. in Psychology - 3.94 GPA (Summa Cum Laude)
Phi Kappa Phi (top 10% GPA at University)
Psi Chi (Psychology Honor Society)
Alpha Phi Sigma (Criminal Justice Honor Society)
Department of Psychology Outstanding Student of the Year
Mock Trial Team
ASTB: 5,6,6 46 (Not pleased with my performance)
LOR: three from professors and one from a family friend
PRT: Outstanding Medium
Completed MEPS

I have other military stuff as well.

BDCPCowboy

Charity

Good packet. I bet your an exceptional athlete from the sounds of your packet. I hope everything works out with the cardiologist.
Just a side question but with your advanced degree in Exphys and an open 3rd choice for a career would you consider Exphys career in the Navy? I know they prefer Phd candidates but I think they make exception for awesome M.S. like yourself. All my best good luck.

I sent my package up for the November board, but I got rolled over to this one. I'm only applying for SNA. I also have an app in for the Marines, but that's another subject altogether.

25 years old
Prior enlisted in the Marines for 5 years (Sergeant - Radio Technician)
B.S. in Psychology - 3.94 GPA (Summa Cum Laude)
Phi Kappa Phi (top 10% GPA at University)
Psi Chi (Psychology Honor Society)
Alpha Phi Sigma (Criminal Justice Honor Society)
Department of Psychology Outstanding Student of the Year
Mock Trial Team
ASTB: 5,6,6 46 (Not pleased with my performance)
LOR: three from professors and one from a family friend
PRT: Outstanding Medium
Completed MEPS

I have other military stuff as well.

Nebekerb very impressive packet. You really have features that stand out above the rest (myself). My only critique would be your ASTB score. Have you taken it more than once? Can you take it again before the boards? The board might be receptive if you scored higher and allow you to use your new scores if you haven't used up all your tests. Best of luck

Charity

Final Select SNA
Charity

Good packet. I bet your an exceptional athlete from the sounds of your packet. I hope everything works out with the cardiologist.
Just a side question but with your advanced degree in Exphys and an open 3rd choice for a career would you consider Exphys career in the Navy? I know they prefer Phd candidates but I think they make exception for awesome M.S. like yourself. All my best good luck.

I was going to apply for the Aerospace Physiology program but it is full for next year and I can't apply until the spring. Besides, I'd rather go SNA or NFO if possible.

nebekerb

Final Select SNA
Contributor
BDCPCowboy said:
Nebekerb very impressive packet. You really have features that stand out above the rest (myself). My only critique would be your ASTB score. Have you taken it more than once? Can you take it again before the boards? The board might be receptive if you scored higher and allow you to use your new scores if you haven't used up all your tests. Best of luck

I appreciate the feedback. I've only taken the ASTB once, and I know it's not a great score by any means. I figured that I'll see how my package does in January, and if it doesn't pan out I'll take it again. Won't know if it will be good enough unless I try.
Good luck to you.

BDCPCowboy

I was going to apply for the Aerospace Physiology program but it is full for next year and I can't apply until the spring. Besides, I'd rather go SNA or NFO if possible.

"I like your style."

"I like your moves"

Empathy/Respect.. Exactly why else would we all be here right?:D

Keep your head up and good luck

Charity

Final Select SNA
I appreciate your kindness. I'm pretty upset that a heart murmur could possibly keep me from entering the military. If the cardiologist does confirm a heart murmur does that automatically disqualify me? How does all that work? How does the waiver process work? I have been running cross country and track since jr. high through college. I was first told I had the murmur during my first athletic physical in jr. high but my doctor told me it was "innocent" and would never keep me from participating in athletics and I would never have any problems with it. He also said it would probably go away. No doctors have said anything about it in the last 7 years, so I thought it was gone. If I can make a convincing case that I've been participating in sports my whole life without any complications will that help get a waiver approved? Does anyone know!?!

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
I appreciate your kindness. I'm pretty upset that a heart murmur could possibly keep me from entering the military. If the cardiologist does confirm a heart murmur does that automatically disqualify me? How does all that work? How does the waiver process work? I have been running cross country and track since jr. high through college. I was first told I had the murmur during my first athletic physical in jr. high but my doctor told me it was "innocent" and would never keep me from participating in athletics and I would never have any problems with it. He also said it would probably go away. No doctors have said anything about it in the last 7 years, so I thought it was gone. If I can make a convincing case that I've been participating in sports my whole life without any complications will that help get a waiver approved? Does anyone know!?!

Is your OR still going to wait to make you submit in Feb? Or did he/she say you'll submit without the medical and PRT?

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor

I don't think a heart murmur will automatically disqualify you. You'll probably have to get a waiver. I had a friend who graduated from USNA and is out now but he had a heart murmur and he was a star distance runner. Just jump through the hoops and don't give up. And don't sweat it too much. Good luck.

Charity

Final Select SNA
Thanks for the input. I really appreciate it. My OR said he is going to submit my app without completion of MEPS and PRT. He doesn't seem to be as worried about it as I am. Hopefully it will all work out.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
Thanks for the input. I really appreciate it. My OR said he is going to submit my app without completion of MEPS and PRT. He doesn't seem to be as worried about it as I am. Hopefully it will all work out.

Nice, so you are gonna make it for Jan? Hurry up!

Charity

Final Select SNA
Hopefully I will make it for the January boards. Does anyone know when I have to submit by? My OR said he thinks it's the 19th.

nebekerb

Final Select SNA
Contributor
All I can say is the sooner the better. I had mine in by the end of October and still didn't make it on the November board. Another way to think about it: I submitted it two months early for the January board!

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
My OR said to have it in the 15th or earlier just to be safe. Especially if they are still doing the '50 kit rule'. You have to also allow for people who got rolled over from the November board(s).