• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Jan/Feb/Mar Boards

matt622

Well I gotta say, I'm pretty upset. I was given half of a day to decide to either accept an NFO spot(which I didn't apply for) or reject my Pro-Rec for SNA. As I said before, this is entirely due to the extremely long wait for a waiver. The paperwork from the physical has been sitting at NAMI since the first week in March with absolutely no movement even after repeated requests that it be looked at due to this possible scenario. Everything was done within my power to expedite the process, but now I'm going to have to re-apply in a future board like any other non-select. I was a very competitive candidate and I don't understand why they can't give me the extra month at most to get this waiver through, especially after they have invested time and money into me getting the flight physical and getting selected in the first place. I guess this should be a lesson to anyone that has had eye surgery. Make sure you have already gotten your flight physical before you apply and the waiver paperwork submitted because other wise it won't get back in time. My recruiter didn't even think to try to schedule the flight physical before I was selected so I'm screwed. Rant over. Good luck to everyone else still trying to get a FS.

MGoBrew11

pilot
Well I gotta say, I'm pretty upset. I was given half of a day to decide to either accept an NFO spot(which I didn't apply for) or reject my Pro-Rec for SNA. As I said before, this is entirely due to the extremely long wait for a waiver. The paperwork from the physical has been sitting at NAMI since the first week in March with absolutely no movement even after repeated requests that it be looked at due to this possible scenario. Everything was done within my power to expedite the process, but now I'm going to have to re-apply in a future board like any other non-select. I was a very competitive candidate and I don't understand why they can't give me the extra month at most to get this waiver through, especially after they have invested time and money into me getting the flight physical and getting selected in the first place. I guess this should be a lesson to anyone that has had eye surgery. Make sure you have already gotten your flight physical before you apply and the waiver paperwork submitted because other wise it won't get back in time. My recruiter didn't even think to try to schedule the flight physical before I was selected so I'm screwed. Rant over. Good luck to everyone else still trying to get a FS.

Matt, it looks like in all likelihood that I will be in the same boat as you. I finally got my paperwork from the eye doc today and it got submitted to MEPS. Now I am awaiting a physical. My OR is telling me we probably won't make it in time.

If it is any consolation he made it sound like a forgone conclusion that I will get the pro-rec back (and that you could too). He just said that we would both write letters to the NRC explaining what happened. I guess the Program Manager (not quite sure who this is) told him that with this "reconsideration" letter explaining it is not our fault and, that I still want my slot, that you can get the pro-rec back.

exNavyOffRec

Matt, it looks like in all likelihood that I will be in the same boat as you. I finally got my paperwork from the eye doc today and it got submitted to MEPS. Now I am awaiting a physical. My OR is telling me we probably won't make it in time.

If it is any consolation he made it sound like a forgone conclusion that I will get the pro-rec back (and that you could too). He just said that we would both write letters to the NRC explaining what happened. I guess the Program Manager (not quite sure who this is) told him that with this "reconsideration" letter explaining it is not our fault and, that I still want my slot, that you can get the pro-rec back.

The Pilot PM is fairly easy to work with as long as your OR doesn't play the "you need to do this card" so he could flip them very easily, he has done it for me several times.

A flight physical isn't something you can just get, it has to be requested by N3M or NAMI, and they won't give the ok unless unusual circumstances apply.

MGoBrew11

pilot
The Pilot PM is fairly easy to work with as long as your OR doesn't play the "you need to do this card" so he could flip them very easily, he has done it for me several times.

A flight physical isn't something you can just get, it has to be requested by N3M or NAMI, and they won't give the ok unless unusual circumstances apply.

Yes, I was referring to the primary MEPS physical.

So when you write this "reconsideration letter", are you applying to another board or is it sent directly to the PM for his consideration?

I'd hate to wait until the July board to apply again. I would have to ask all my LOR writers to re-date letters AGAIN.

exNavyOffRec

Yes, I was referring to the primary MEPS physical.

So when you write this "reconsideration letter", are you applying to another board or is it sent directly to the PM for his consideration?

I'd hate to wait until the July board to apply again. I would have to ask all my LOR writers to re-date letters AGAIN.

In most cases it just goes to the PM and he can turn it on, but it really depends on how long it takes.

MGoBrew11

pilot
In most cases it just goes to the PM and he can turn it on, but it really depends on how long it takes.

Okay, thanks a ton. That is encouraging. Just praying (once again) that this all works out. This has been quite a journey. At this point I just want to be at OCS tomorrow and get it started.

matt622

Brenbuck I wish you the best of luck. I was just informed that they would not grant me the waiver for the sole reason that they believe they have selected enough pilots and that a waiver depends on both the needs of the Navy and a medical issue. This is after I had a successful flight physical and my eyes passed all of the checks. They must really want NFO's because they offered me a slot as an NFO even though I didn't apply for it and I would still need a waiver of some sort since I had the surgery. This whole thing is kind of mind blowing to me considering how far I've come in the process and they will let me go just because they don't want to review my paperwork from the physical and grant/deny me a waiver. Not only that, but I'm blackballed forever now because I turned down an offer of NFO when I didn't even apply for it in the first place. This could have probably been avoided if I had been able to get a physical earlier and get the waiver process started sooner. Pretty disappointed my dreams were crushed in such a fashion.

jakerx

Pro-Rec'd SNA & NFO Jan. 2012
I was just informed that they would not grant me the waiver for the sole reason that they believe they have selected enough pilots and that a waiver depends on both the needs of the Navy and a medical issue.
Matt, did you get LASIK or PRK? If I'm not mistaken, PRK is the only one normally allowed for Navy/Marines. The special waiver needed for LASIK vs. the routine waiver for PRK might be the issue.

matt622

From everything I could gather that was not the case. I followed the protocol for patients with a hx of LASIK by getting a special flight physical at one of their designated locations. I also talked to a CAPT and LCDR in NAMI beforehand and both assured me that applicants were being accepted with LASIK as long as they met all of the pre-op req. and had this special exam which I passed. Neither the OD or flight surgeon thought there would be any additional difficulties getting the waiver other than the long wait in general. From what I was told my paperwork was not even reviewed at NAMI due to the backup. Basically what I tried to get out of my recruiter and what I think happened is they selected a bunch more pilots from this April board and they now have met or exceeded their quota and they are trying to find easy ways to get rid of applicants that haven't moved along in the process of getting a FS for whatever reason. I specifically asked if this was a result of LASIK/PRK and my recruiter said no.

exNavyOffRec

From everything I could gather that was not the case. I followed the protocol for patients with a hx of LASIK by getting a special flight physical at one of their designated locations. I also talked to a CAPT and LCDR in NAMI beforehand and both assured me that applicants were being accepted with LASIK as long as they met all of the pre-op req. and had this special exam which I passed. Neither the OD or flight surgeon thought there would be any additional difficulties getting the waiver other than the long wait in general. From what I was told my paperwork was not even reviewed at NAMI due to the backup. Basically what I tried to get out of my recruiter and what I think happened is they selected a bunch more pilots from this April board and they now have met or exceeded their quota and they are trying to find easy ways to get rid of applicants that haven't moved along in the process of getting a FS for whatever reason. I specifically asked if this was a result of LASIK/PRK and my recruiter said no.

They still need pilots, many that were selected have dropped off due to medical and not being cleared for a variety of reasons, they still have a ton of spots as the Jan board was for FY12 and FY13, and we are nowhere close to filling FY13

If they are offering you NFO it is because of eyes, just about anything else medical would DQ from all aviation.

This is why I tell people to go with PRK until LASIK becomes a rubber stamp

sparrowbomb

E-2 NFO
It's been 3 months since my pro-rec.
Got PQ'd almost immediately afterwards.
Security clearance started over a month ago.
Talked to my recruiter today. Said my FS is somewhere waiting to be signed by someone. I know it exists but he still hasn't seen it so no ship date yet. He said it would be September at the absolute earliest, with October being more likely... Looks like it's going to be a cold 3 months at OCS!

exNavyOffRec

It's been 3 months since my pro-rec.
Got PQ'd almost immediately afterwards.
Security clearance started over a month ago.
Talked to my recruiter today. Said my FS is somewhere waiting to be signed by someone. I know it exists but he still hasn't seen it so no ship date yet. He said it would be September at the absolute earliest, with October being more likely... Looks like it's going to be a cold 3 months at OCS!

Better a cold 3 months at OCS then sitting at home trying to figure out how to improve your application!

staff03

I thought I'd update on my journey to a FS. I was pro-recd for sna and nfo in the Jan board, the program manager asked me to get a NOMI flight physical before he issues my FS and OCS date. My OR has been extremely on top of things and scheduled me for May 12. Even though this falls after the deadline, because my OR has been updating the PM on my status I have been told everything will still be there for me after my physical and all I have to do is write a letter saying I still want my spot. It's a little bit more waiting, but at least I know I'll be PQd for whatever I choose. It definitely seems like they are willing to hold on to our spots as long as we keep them informed of where we are in the process and nothing too crazy pops up.

exNavyOffRec

I thought I'd update on my journey to a FS. I was pro-recd for sna and nfo in the Jan board, the program manager asked me to get a NOMI flight physical before he issues my FS and OCS date. My OR has been extremely on top of things and scheduled me for May 12. Even though this falls after the deadline, because my OR has been updating the PM on my status I have been told everything will still be there for me after my physical and all I have to do is write a letter saying I still want my spot. It's a little bit more waiting, but at least I know I'll be PQd for whatever I choose. It definitely seems like they are willing to hold on to our spots as long as we keep them informed of where we are in the process and nothing too crazy pops up.

The advantage of keeping people informed.