• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Jan/Feb/Mar Boards

Ashfrank

T-45C instructor, airline guy
I thought I'd update on my journey to a FS. I was pro-recd for sna and nfo in the Jan board, the program manager asked me to get a NOMI flight physical before he issues my FS and OCS date. My OR has been extremely on top of things and scheduled me for May 12. Even though this falls after the deadline, because my OR has been updating the PM on my status I have been told everything will still be there for me after my physical and all I have to do is write a letter saying I still want my spot. It's a little bit more waiting, but at least I know I'll be PQd for whatever I choose. It definitely seems like they are willing to hold on to our spots as long as we keep them informed of where we are in the process and nothing too crazy pops up.

Hey Staff,

Thanks for the update. Why did the PM want you to get a NAMI physical? Is it standard practice for pro recs or final selects to get a NAMI whammy before OCS?

If we can manage to get a flight physical from a Navy flight surgeon, will that hold any clout/replace the dreaded OCS flight physical? I'm not far from a NAS. Couldn't hurt tryin!

exNavyOffRec

Hey Staff,

Thanks for the update. Why did the PM want you to get a NAMI physical? Is it standard practice for pro recs or final selects to get a NAMI whammy before OCS?

If we can manage to get a flight physical from a Navy flight surgeon, will that hold any clout/replace the dreaded OCS flight physical? I'm not far from a NAS. Couldn't hurt tryin!

Unless you are active or reserve, an active duty doctor cannot do a physical on you without direction from N3M

jakerx

Pro-Rec'd SNA & NFO Jan. 2012
Hey Staff,

No, it's not standard practice for pro recs or final selects to have a flight physical before OCS. Staff had a special situation. I'll let him explain if he chooses to elaborate further.

MGoBrew11

pilot
I thought I'd update on my journey to a FS. I was pro-recd for sna and nfo in the Jan board, the program manager asked me to get a NOMI flight physical before he issues my FS and OCS date. My OR has been extremely on top of things and scheduled me for May 12. Even though this falls after the deadline, because my OR has been updating the PM on my status I have been told everything will still be there for me after my physical and all I have to do is write a letter saying I still want my spot. It's a little bit more waiting, but at least I know I'll be PQd for whatever I choose. It definitely seems like they are willing to hold on to our spots as long as we keep them informed of where we are in the process and nothing too crazy pops up.

Ahhh, this makes me feel a lot better about my situation. I know my OR has been in contact with the PM often knowing that I would likely miss the deadline. Only reason I applied to the January board instead of April was that recent history suggests you shouldn't roll the dice on future boards.

The above is pretty much exactly what my OR told me as well.

staff03

I went to OCS is 09 and failed the depth perception test and being a pilot candidate I was NPQ. Eventually passed at a civilian place and then again at MEPS and was granted a waiver by N3M. However, the PM would like to see me pass a NOMI flight phys before they spend the money to send me to OCS. My OR did an awesome job and scheduled me within a week and has kept the PM informed of my status every step of the way. So even though its delaying things a bit, at least I will have no worries at all when I take the physical at OCS.

Ashfrank

T-45C instructor, airline guy
I went to OCS is 09 and failed the depth perception test and being a pilot candidate I was NPQ. Eventually passed at a civilian place and then again at MEPS and was granted a waiver by N3M. However, the PM would like to see me pass a NOMI flight phys before they spend the money to send me to OCS. My OR did an awesome job and scheduled me within a week and has kept the PM informed of my status every step of the way. So even though its delaying things a bit, at least I will have no worries at all when I take the physical at OCS.

Ah, gotcha. Dude, props for sticking with it all. I can't imagine getting to OCS and then (kind of) being back at square one. You are invincible!
invincible2.jpg

canav08

Final Select SNA OCS 08 July 12
Major Update:

Just received a call from my OR asking if I could do OCS on 27 May!!! ... or 8 July.

No final select letter yet because obviously its the date that is up in the air. My OR seemed to be talking to the processor while talking to me and the processor seemed to be talking to somebody else on the phone. I told them that Id rather 8 July just because I had started to expect Sept or Oct and wanted a tiny bit more time but stated my willingness to show up tomorrow if that was the only option. He said its not set in stone and he will give me another call when they get things ironed out.

Prior USN officers warned me of things like this but I honestly can't say I paid close enough attention. I'm by no means out of shape and I think Id be fine if I went to Newport in 2wks and change but I'm not where I want to be and got a bit more lax about working out when I realized Sept or Oct was more likely. You just never know whats going on ultimately. If you are a pro rec/FS, work out like you are going next month no matter how long the waiting process gets or how drawn out it seems like its gonna be. This morning was quite the slap in the face when I got that call and it'd be even more of a slap in the face to be in front of Marine DI's in 2.5 wks, haha.

I'll keep you updated on my situation, hopefully others are moving along as well.

exNavyOffRec

Major Update:

Just received a call from my OR asking if I could do OCS on 27 May!!! ... or 8 July.

No final select letter yet because obviously its the date that is up in the air. My OR seemed to be talking to the processor while talking to me and the processor seemed to be talking to somebody else on the phone. I told them that Id rather 8 July just because I had started to expect Sept or Oct and wanted a tiny bit more time but stated my willingness to show up tomorrow if that was the only option. He said its not set in stone and he will give me another call when they get things ironed out.

Prior USN officers warned me of things like this but I honestly can't say I paid close enough attention. I'm by no means out of shape and I think Id be fine if I went to Newport in 2wks and change but I'm not where I want to be and got a bit more lax about working out when I realized Sept or Oct was more likely. You just never know whats going on ultimately. If you are a pro rec/FS, work out like you are going next month no matter how long the waiting process gets or how drawn out it seems like its gonna be. This morning was quite the slap in the face when I got that call and it'd be even more of a slap in the face to be in front of Marine DI's in 2.5 wks, haha.

I'll keep you updated on my situation, hopefully others are moving along as well.

May 27th, sounds like they lost someone.

iJudgeee

I also wanted to say that my OR said that I needed to take the PFT at least within 45 days before OCS before leaving. He said they made it mandatory again because OR's were sending a bunch of people that couldn't pass the PFT when they got there. I thought I would bring that up since it was discussed not too long ago.

exNavyOffRec

nope still not mandatory, and the actual guidance for those that can NUPOC/CEC/BDCP is no more than 30 days, no less than 14

neppler

In 10 miles, turn left on V198...recalculating...
None
Update:

Spoke to my recruiter today. Still no movement of my FS letter and no solid class date. He's relatively new to this process, so he called around to find out what could be going on, and the consensus was "it happens." With no real rhyme or reason. He was hearing that some applicants wait five months after clearing everything before receiving a FS, and I've seen some posts around here claiming over a year, so I'm not too terribly concerned. Hopefully everything is moving along smoothly for everyone!

MGoBrew11

pilot
Update:

Spoke to my recruiter today. Still no movement of my FS letter and no solid class date. He's relatively new to this process, so he called around to find out what could be going on, and the consensus was "it happens." With no real rhyme or reason. He was hearing that some applicants wait five months after clearing everything before receiving a FS, and I've seen some posts around here claiming over a year, so I'm not too terribly concerned. Hopefully everything is moving along smoothly for everyone!

Good to hear neppler. I am heading to MEPS tomorrow...finally!

Hoping that everything clears and then a recon letter is accepted without problems. If not, guess it is back to the REAL waiting game.

canav08

Final Select SNA OCS 08 July 12
Update:

All we can do is just be ready!

From the phone call discussed in my last post, we are definitely on somebodies minds and they must just still be up in the air on what they can do with OCS dates. My recruiter speculated that the wait could actually be more of a positive for those who want earlier (June/July even May discussed w/me) class dates vs Fall. He seemed to think they were holding off on final signatures because they dont want to change dates and are thinking they may get some of us in early but still are not 100% sure for some reason. I don't know, different people have different ideas. I think if I had any hope left for May, my recruiter would have been back on the phone with me by now, its really getting into last second territory if that were to happen. That said, some of it is ancient history but the "keep waiting" one week has turned into "see you at OCS in 3wks" for more than one person I have talked to, granted these are all cases from years ago.

I hate to be such a crybaby but I can't stand not knowing, I plan best and work towards goals best when I have a definite timeline.

GSR43

Spoke with my OR. He said Im probably looking at around DEC or even JAN OCS date (of course nothing is final, I may end up going in June). He also said they seem to be assigning OCS dates by alphebetical order, and because my last name starts with an "R" Ill have to wait for a while. Is this consistant with anyone elses story?