• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

JAN/FEB/MAR 2014 Rolling SNA and SNFO Boards

jetullis6

Been there done that
Hi everyone,

This is the first time I've finally decided to ask a question on here. I applied twice to STA-21 for Pilot and Core (FY-12/13), so I've followed the posts religiously. I just finished my BS in Aeronautics Degree, and I now have some questions. I usually just read through the posts because someone has usually already asked my question, but I didn't see it. Did the board dates change for SNA? I thought the board was supposed to be in December and the next not until April? Also, did the quota go up for Pilot and NFO this year? I'm a rookie at finding information on here. These are the stats that I am going to be applying with:

PILOT/NFO/AMDO Applicant
27 Male - E-6 (AE) 9 years Active Duty
GPA 3.85 Aeronautics from Embry-Riddle
ASTB: 6/7/5 - March 2011
OAR: 53
4 LORs: 2 Navy Captains (1310), 1 Commander (1310), 1 State Senator
Waiver - Age
Over 150 hours of community service
4.5 hours logged in Cessna 172
Last 3 Evals: EP(E-6 Frocking), MP, MP.

Is this even competitive? I haven't started my interview process yet, but I'm going to be talking to my DIVO and CC's to start trying to set some up.
The stats look great but the package for AMDO is due next week.

utswimmer37

"Descent Planning"
pilot
Brother I'm right there with you.
Same here. Was told I could submit without the medical but I guess they changed that policy do to so many people failing medical after getting a ProRec Y. I havent heard much on the NFO front from the December board, just a lot of SNA and SWO selects. Anyone know if NFOs are in demand like pilots? Either way my kit is in Tennessee ready to go

Hump

Not at the Enterprise I want to work at...
Same here. Was told I could submit without the medical but I guess they changed that policy do to so many people failing medical after getting a ProRec Y. I havent heard much on the NFO front from the December board, just a lot of SNA and SWO selects. Anyone know if NFOs are in demand like pilots? Either way my kit is in Tennessee ready to go

If I remember correctly from what my OR said NFOs for the last board 101 out of 105 were selected.

Surf

pilot
Brother I'm right there with you.
Nice to see another PoliSci major applying for an SNA slot. During my officer interview I was asked "Why aren't you going into politics like the rest of them?" to which I responded "I spent the last four years learning why NOT to go into politics like the rest of them." The O-5 got a kick out of that...good luck!

utswimmer37

"Descent Planning"
pilot
If I remember correctly from what my OR said NFOs for the last board 101 out of 105 were selected.
Thanks. One more piggy back question, could we assume that the majority who got the NFO nod were also applying for SNA? I'm just hoping there are some slots left for those who missed the last board.

The_Pants

Fortunately for us, the Navy always has a demand for Pilots and NFOs. I would theorize that pilots/NFOS are probably retiring due to being in the Iraq/Afghanistan war 10+ years. I read an article a couple months back stating that the Air Force and Navy were is dire need of skilled Pilots to the extent that they were offering senior pilots 125,000 dollars to extend their contracts, paid in two installments.

exNavyOffRec

Fortunately for us, the Navy always has a demand for Pilots and NFOs. I would theorize that pilots/NFOS are probably retiring due to being in the Iraq/Afghanistan war 10+ years. I read an article a couple months back stating that the Air Force and Navy were is dire need of skilled Pilots to the extent that they were offering senior pilots 125,000 dollars to extend their contracts, paid in two installments.

Pilots retiring does not mean they will bring in more new pilots, that theory works on the enlisted side but not on the officer side, that is why they will offer so much to keep officer in, you can't replace a LCDR with an Ensign, there is a flow and career progression you cannot force.

utswimmer37

"Descent Planning"
pilot
Pilots retiring does not mean they will bring in more new pilots, that theory works on the enlisted side but not on the officer side, that is why they will offer so much to keep officer in, you can't replace a LCDR with an Ensign, there is a flow and career progression you cannot force.
Makes sense. I've tried to stop thinking about it at this point. We'll see what happens and best of luck to all. Hopefully we will here of a board convening sooner than later.

mike23!

I had a question about the July boards for Pilot. I am active duty and I will finish my degree requirements on July 7 but I will not officially graduate until August. Can I go ahead and submit a package for the July boards or with me being active duty will I have to actually wait until I have my transcripts showing that the requirements are completed? I know that the actual package will need to be complete for review in April or May in case something needs to be corrected. Any thoughts on this or would it be better to just submit in the October board?