• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

IWC Board 2 MAR 2020

exNavyOffRec

I completely get that and having been a linguist on the enlisted side, I knew IWC officers didn't use languages going into this process and that it would have no bearing on my package. I just don't understand why they wouldn't remove it from the PA and potentially weed out some of the less qualified candidates (especially on the civilian side who don't understand the difference between reality and what the PA says they're looking for) before the board is forced to review them.

Also, as a counterpoint just for discussion, why does someone with a biology degree look more preferable? You're not going to be using biology knowledge on the job either, but it's STEM so it is more desirable.

In general any STEM including biology will be preferred as STEM degrees often involve quite a bit of problem solving, in addition to the math and physics.

sldm992

In general any STEM including biology will be preferred as STEM degrees often involve quite a bit of problem solving, in addition to the math and physics.
If one were to take classes like biology, economics, statistics, etc that show in a transcript but still not have an actual STEM degree, would it achieve the same result since they’re also problem solving classes as you describe? I’m just curious because a BS in intelligence would make more sense than a BS in biology for an intel designator, at least to me. Same should apply to other designators I would think

exNavyOffRec

If one were to take classes like biology, economics, statistics, etc that show in a transcript but still not have an actual STEM degree, would it achieve the same result since they’re also problem solving classes as you describe? I’m just curious because a BS in intelligence would make more sense than a BS in biology for an intel designator, at least to me. Same should apply to other designators I would think

I have seen non-STEM degree individuals get selected for CW or IP, they were often people that started out STEM then switched, so they had 2 years of the tech classes, so I would say it could factor in.

NCCGT

My UG was Sport Science (essentially sports management). I still had to take algebra, calculus, anatomy, physiology, accounting, statistics, etc, but because it’s not seen as STEM it gets discounted. I think STEM gets too heavily desired when so many “non-STEM” programs have almost all the same important classes.

EO87

Good morning, applied for this board also and just found this thread. Good luck to those applying.

Degree: Computer Networking & Cyber Security
Applying for: IP/Intel
Active Duty 9 year MMN1
OAR: 52
GPA: 3.81

A-Aron

For those interested, looks like the board date was moved back to March 30th

Typically, what would be the reason for pushing back the application deadline and the board date?
In this particular case,
Application deadline: Jan 17 -> Jan 31 (pushed 2 weeks)
Board date: Mar 2 -> Mar 30 (pushed 4 weeks)

Is it because they realized that there weren't enough applicants (or maybe not enough "stellar" applicants)?
Did they just want to have a bigger pool to handpick the candidates from?

NCCGT

Typically, what would be the reason for pushing back the application deadline and the board date?
In this particular case,
Application deadline: Jan 17 -> Jan 31 (pushed 2 weeks)
Board date: Mar 2 -> Mar 30 (pushed 4 weeks)

Is it because they realized that there weren't enough applicants (or maybe not enough "stellar" applicants)?
Did they just want to have a bigger pool to handpick the candidates from?
Your guess is as good as mine. I’ve seen a range of possibilities given on various other board threads.
-they didn’t have enough applicants
-they didn’t have enough good applicants
-they picked too many before and needed to push back selection of more IWC candidates
-there were administrative delays caused by the holidays or other boards
And there could be a whole host of other reasons for it. Like I said, your guess is as good as mine.

exNavyOffRec

Your guess is as good as mine. I’ve seen a range of possibilities given on various other board threads.
-they didn’t have enough applicants
-they didn’t have enough good applicants
-they picked too many before and needed to push back selection of more IWC candidates
-there were administrative delays caused by the holidays or other boards
And there could be a whole host of other reasons for it. Like I said, your guess is as good as mine.

They won't know if the applicants are good or not until they have the board, and the number at board doesn't matter as they will still move forward.

Now picking too many in previous boards is a possibility and moving a board out could mean cancelling a board coming up.

or it could be as simple as the board members had schedule conflicts.

A-Aron

Degree: BA French, Minor: Korean [DLPT 3/3], [DLAB 141]
Applying for: CW/Intel/IP
Prior Service: 6 years Active Duty CTR2 (IDW/SW)
OAR: 58
GPA: 3.4
Reference: GS-15

NCCGT

Degree: BA French, Minor: Korean [DLPT 3/3], [DLAB 141]
Applying for: CW/Intel/IP
Prior Service: 6 years Active Duty CTR2 (IDW/SW)
OAR: 58
GPA: 3.4
Reference: GS-15
Well dang, I only rocked a 132 DLAB and 2+/2+ in Russian ?

I went CW/IP/Intel for my order

EO87

Hey everyone, so am I gathering that the board date is now 30MAR2020? Also, does anyone have any information on the previous cycle selection rates? Appreciate it.

Ancalagon

Hey everyone, so am I gathering that the board date is now 30MAR2020? Also, does anyone have any information on the previous cycle selection rates? Appreciate it.
Yes, new board date is March 30th. Previous IWC cycle selection rates seem to have been all over the board, and hard to predict. I've been watching the SWO thread, and I'm sure it'll be at least 10x as agonizing for us when the end of March rolls around.

EO87

Yes, new board date is March 30th. Previous IWC cycle selection rates seem to have been all over the board, and hard to predict. I've been watching the SWO thread, and I'm sure it'll be at least 10x as agonizing for us when the end of March rolls around.
Great, I was passed over for SWO, and not really sure why. So the INTEL/IP boards are my last looks. Guess we got awhile to wait.