• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

IWC Board 2 MAR 2020

mark0605

Joining this thread a bit late. Good to meet you all!

I submitted my packet for the March IWC Board as well with SWO being my second choice.

Male
OAR: 57
Studies: B.S. Sports Industry / Minor in French from Ohio State University
GPA: 3.69
LORs: Current Intel O-3, Current Army O-3, MLB General Manager
No prior service. Most of my professional career so far has been in the MLB landscape across multiple organizations. Looking forward to starting off my Naval career soon!

mark0605

With the exception of FAO's the USN doesn't use officers as linguist, none of the Intel or CW officers I put in spoke any amount of foreign language, or at least it wasn't on their application.

Your tech degree will help you out.

Definitely hoped that foreign language proficiency would be beneficial, but my recruiter told me day 1 that my ability to speak 3 languages will have absolutely no merit at the board..

sldm992

Definitely hoped that foreign language proficiency would be beneficial, but my recruiter told me day 1 that my ability to speak 3 languages will have absolutely no merit at the board..
Ya I have a minor in Arabic so I get the frustration. Pretty impressive to the rest of us though that you can speak multiple languages...it might help you later down the road

NCCGT

Definitely impressed with the ability to speak 3 languages, also bummed language skills won’t help with my package.

I’m hoping my prior naval enlisted service working in the SIGINT world and then my MBA with Data Analytics focus will be valued enough to get the nod.

Ancalagon

Definitely impressed with the ability to speak 3 languages, also bummed language skills won’t help with my package.

I’m hoping my prior naval enlisted service working in the SIGINT world and then my MBA with Data Analytics focus will be valued enough to get the nod.

If it were up to me, I'd give you the nod!

TKDiggles

Ya I have a minor in Arabic so I get the frustration. Pretty impressive to the rest of us though that you can speak multiple languages...it might help you later down the road
Interesting in that it is literally stated in the Program Authorization that foreign language ability is desired. My recruiter told me the opposite as yours as well for Intel, but not for CW.

exNavyOffRec

Interesting in that it is literally stated in the Program Authorization that foreign language ability is desired. My recruiter told me the opposite as yours as well for Intel, but not for CW.

There is what the PA says, and what people are actually selected for. Think about this, why would foreign language be desirable for a position that does not use a foreign language?

NCCGT

There is what the PA says, and what people are actually selected for. Think about this, why would foreign language be desirable for a position that does not use a foreign language?

I completely get that and having been a linguist on the enlisted side, I knew IWC officers didn't use languages going into this process and that it would have no bearing on my package. I just don't understand why they wouldn't remove it from the PA and potentially weed out some of the less qualified candidates (especially on the civilian side who don't understand the difference between reality and what the PA says they're looking for) before the board is forced to review them.

Also, as a counterpoint just for discussion, why does someone with a biology degree look more preferable? You're not going to be using biology knowledge on the job either, but it's STEM so it is more desirable.