• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Indoc PRT at OCS

Morgan81

It's not my lawn. It's OUR lawn.
pilot
Contributor
Actually from what I heard from the P'Cola crowd in my class (feel free to correct me if I misheard), the number of people rolling is higher in Newport.

Don't be that guy. PT your brains out.

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
if the 1.5 miler is in the gym, its gonna suck trying to pace myself

badger16

None
So when you guys are running are you just trying to rack up the miles at a good pace or are you also adding in some speed training? I'm trying to do a little bit of both because I really want to be able to keep up my pace during the longer runs but i'm not sure if a ton of speed workouts is worth my time and I should just focus on other things... any tips/hints would be great.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
It is 23 laps (give or take one or two) around a circular track laid out by cones in the gym next door. You will do your push ups there and your sit ups on your nap mats there.

Coldnavy

CTO1 to IW Officer
Actually from what I heard from the P'Cola crowd in my class (feel free to correct me if I misheard), the number of people rolling is higher in Newport.

Don't be that guy. PT your brains out.

I've seen people who suck at life, but can PT thier a** off make it through OCS. You gotta love Drill Instructors...

... then again, I've seen people suck at both life and PT make it through OCS... so much for OCS being a filiter and not a pump....

Coldnavy

CTO1 to IW Officer
So when you guys are running are you just trying to rack up the miles at a good pace or are you also adding in some speed training? I'm trying to do a little bit of both because I really want to be able to keep up my pace during the longer runs but i'm not sure if a ton of speed workouts is worth my time and I should just focus on other things... any tips/hints would be great.

There are three run groups at OCS:

1: Rabbits- These are your fast runners, typically sub 9:45
2: Mediums - Medium speed runners (about 70% of the class is in this group) normally sub 11:30
3: Slugs- 11:30+ run times. Life will suck for those in this group. You have a good chance of sticking out as the slow weak person in the class. Not a good stigma to have at OCS.

What ever run group you get into, run your a** off. Don't ever tell yourself you can't run any faster, because trust me you can! DON'T SANDBAG to be in a slower group in an attempt to make OCS easier. DI's can spot this a million miles away, and when they catch you, and trust me they will, life will suck for you.

Most people end up dropping anywhere from 1- 2 1/2 minutes off their run times while at OCS.

badger16

None
@ ColdNavy-Do they base these groups on PRT? I can run a sub 9:45 for the PRT but I don't think I could do a 6-6:30 minute mile for 5-6 miles(at least not right now). Do they ease up on your times as you go longer distances?

xmid

pilot
Contributor
@ ColdNavy-Do they base these groups on PRT? I can run a sub 9:45 for the PRT but I don't think I could do a 6-6:30 minute mile for 5-6 miles(at least not right now). Do they ease up on your times as you go longer distances?

I'm not ColdNavy, but as of tommorrow I'm a candi-o so hopefully I can answer your questions.
1. Yes
2. You will never run 5-6 miles at OCS. The furthest route is 3.2 miles, but if you come here in the winter you will never run even close to that far. If you're coming in the winter be ready for lots of sprints and suicides in Kay Hall.
3. A little. Its not timed, they just have a DI/Officer/Chief(slow group;)) lead you. You gotta keep up because falling out is not an option...

badger16

None
I didn't mean that only Coldnavy could answer my post, I was originally going to post questions to others but didn't and didn't change my post to fit accordingly. Thanks for the info, that is good news about the distance. I think I can swing a rabbit pace for 3.2. I'll just keep busting my ass and now throw in some more suicides/sprints for good measure. Thanks again.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I'm not ColdNavy, but as of tommorrow I'm a candi-o so hopefully I can answer your questions.
1. Yes
2. You will never run 5-6 miles at OCS. The furthest route is 3.2 miles, but if you come here in the winter you will never run even close to that far. If you're coming in the winter be ready for lots of sprints and suicides in Kay Hall.
3. A little. Its not timed, they just have a DI/Officer/Chief(slow group;)) lead you. You gotta keep up because falling out is not an option...

I remember one morning our chief took us on a run, and about 1.5 into a 3 mile run he is breathing hard and had us stop and PT in the grass/sand outside of NOMI while walked in circles catching our breath. When we finished the assigned PT, we looked at him and he huffed back at us "OK, do another 10" while he continued catching his breath. The best was on the way back, after about 2 miles total, he tells the candio to take us home and falls out of his own damn run. Turned out he had mono but at the time it was hilarious to see a staff member fall out of his own damn run.

We gave him hell about it at the Barbecue. He laughed his ass off about it too. :D

P.S. I was a slug at OCS ( my run time 2 weeks prior was 11:26 and 12:45 at indoc PRT- YOU try drinking the air in and see how you do!)

I dropped over a minute and a half on my run time throughout OCS.

Kickflip89

Below Ladder
None
Contributor

The runs are typically either 2.2 miles or 1.5 miles when the weather is nice, so you shouldn't have much to worry about. They do indian runs from time to time to work on speed, and they'll sometimes run up and down the hills to "punish" candidates if the group starts to get too strung out.

You shouldn't have too much to worry about if you're at sub 9:45 already, although they've got staff members who can and will kick your butt on the runs (if you come at a time they can do outdoor PT).

Turkleton

I'm honestly a little surprised to find out that the PRT is done in doors in the winter. I would expect to be forced to endure a little cold here and there. Are other non-PRT runs done outdoors in the cold?

Bogey Spotter, what do you mean by drinking air?

Morgan81

It's not my lawn. It's OUR lawn.
pilot
Contributor
I'm honestly a little surprised to find out that the PRT is done in doors in the winter. I would expect to be forced to endure a little cold here and there. Are other non-PRT runs done outdoors in the cold?
Careful what you wish for...don't worry, you will.

Bogey Spotter, what do you mean by drinking air?
Humidity in P'cola. I can't imagine what this inferno is like in August.