• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Indoc PRT at OCS

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
It was Sat Med on the in, Sat High on the mid, and Good Low on the out when I went through.

When was this? I heard about them lowering the PRT standards because too many people were getting broken.

In 2002, all you needed was the bare ass minimum (probationary) to stay in your class at the in-PRT, but you needed Excellent Low across the board (they didn't use points) at the out PRT.

BigRed389

None
When was this? I heard about them lowering the PRT standards because too many people were getting broken.

In 2002, all you needed was the bare ass minimum (probationary) to stay in your class at the in-PRT, but you needed Excellent Low across the board (they didn't use points) at the out PRT.

No idea, but in the OCR you can actually see the pen and ink changes in all of them where it used to require the Excellent Low on the out.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
I can assure you it is good-low at the in-PRT. If you don't hit those numbers you will roll. We had something like 17 roll from my class, including a guy who supposedly did 135 push ups on his PRT at his last command... The DIs can and will dock you some PU's or SU's. Not rolling is a good goal, but keep in mind that alot of classes have 80% of the class roll. Its not always something you have any control over.

P3sPLZ

Eatin' ain't Cheatin'
The majority of the indoc week is subjective. If you show up and look fat and lazy or scared, the DIs will notice you quick. They'll remember you when you show up for the in-prt at 0-dark-thirty and pay special attention to you. so bust your ass before you report, and don't be a pussy and you'll be fine. on the other hand, 3 weeks in H isn't bad for improving your p/u's and s/u's.

WOLFSON

A side question to this topic; while preparing for OCS, how should I focus my workout training? My PFT scores were pretty good (103 s/u, 65 p/u, 10:05 1.5 mi run). I am probably a little stronger in the run right now, about the same in the sit ups, but my push-ups have probably fallen a (little) bit. While getting ready for OCS, should I focus more on push-ups than say running? Also, should my running be concentrated on shorter and faster runs (< 6 mi) than longer and slower runs (> 7 mi)? I spend a good amount of time doing swim (1 mi) and bike workouts (15-20 mi), and although still good for the cardio, am I wasting my time/energy on training that could be spent doing more upper/lower body weight training? Seeing as I don't anticipate being much on my bike at OCS, I probably won't focus too much more on cycling anyways, but still, you can only run so much before you need to give your knees a break. I workout about 2x a day, 5 days a week, a lot of times I get to the gym and think, well I did a 7 mile run this morning, a spin class last night, and a chest/shoulder workout yesterday morning, what can I do now? My legs are beat and my upper body is still kinda sore, is this the time to do more push ups? Is this how I'll be feeling during all of OCS? I'm just looking for some guidance from people who've been through it before. Thanks.

MasterBates

Shorter runs.. Very few runs more than 3 miles when I was at OCS. I think the longest was 5.

Pushups are a common "beat down" PT item, mine took the biggest hit at OCS. I had a hard time getting the out-prt pushups becuase my arms/chest were in a constant state of beaten down.

Just make sure you don't give yourself a stress fracture or shin splints by overtraining.

WOLFSON

Got it. Shorter runs, bigger guns.

At the end of the day, does it matter much if you can do 60 push ups as opposed 90? So long as you can do more during your out-PRT than your in-PRT. I have to imagine no matter how many push ups you can pump out the DI's will make sure you hit a brick wall until you can no longer peel yourself off the ground. Basically, what really matters is that you did as many as you could possibly do and never stopped trying.

In a related story recounted to me a few years ago, the brother of a friend of mine had a former enlisted SEAL in his OCS class. After a poor room inspection the guy administering the inspection told the seal to hit the deck "push 'em out" without noticing the trident the guy was wearing. The seal calmly asked "how many sir" and was told "until I say stop" to which the seal replied "I'm sorry sir but I have more PUSH than you have TIME". At this point the inspector noticed the trident and just walked out of the room.

I'm sure I just murdered that great (if true) story but you get the gist. Maybe its just an ole' OCS wives tale.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
You'll be doing a LOT of pushups the first many weeks, all the time. Every time you screw up, wake up or do things perfectly but bore your DI. You will do pushups. Oh, and the next day when your chest is sore? You'll do just as many then too. So get your pushups strong. You DON'T want to be the guy shaking and hitting knees to the deck during a beat session.

Nose

pilot
Good googly moogly. I'm glad they didn't have internets when I went in. You guys have me all wrapped up and worried about PRT scores and I did it 20 years ago!!!

Stop worrying about push-ups vs. sit-ups. Stop worrying about whether the Drill Instructors will hollar at you, they will. Stop worrying about what to take.

Just remember the one thing that flushes more people then any other: your desire and determination.
If you tell yourself that you can handle anything they throw at you, you will be able to handle anything they throw at you.

Quick question for recent OCS guys: back in the old days, there were three physical tests you had to pass. O-Course. (Self explanitory) C-Course (3 mile run). Swim (1 mile in flight suit). Do they still do these?

Kickflip89

Below Ladder
None
Contributor
Quick question for recent OCS guys: back in the old days, there were three physical tests you had to pass. O-Course. (Self explanitory) C-Course (3 mile run). Swim (1 mile in flight suit). Do they still do these?

Gouge for Warden et. al:

In-PRT is Sat Medium. Having said that, if you run a time in the high 11:00s or 12:00s you are definately going to get DI attention. Probably the same deal if you do less than 50 pushups. BWT DI attention is not a cute affectionate thing, you do not want it! Make sure your form is perfect, because you WILL get rocked if you're doing jacked up pushups.

The only three physical "tests" at OCS are in-PFA, mid-PFA, and out-PFA, but the D.I.s have the option of rolling an indoc candidate at any point during indoc week for "failure to maintain" -- no counciling chits or anything, it's just welcome to H -- so find your big straw before you report and suck it up :)

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor

No more O-course either at OCS or at API. It was shut down. We do a number of 3 mile runs at OCS but don't recall a "C-Course" specifically. The 1 mile in flight suit is now at API (I'm guessing you did this during OCS back when it was AOCS and API didn't exist), but yes we still do it.

Josh

Nose

pilot
No more O-course either at OCS or at API. It was shut down. We do a number of 3 mile runs at OCS but don't recall a "C-Course" specifically. The 1 mile in flight suit is now at API (I'm guessing you did this during OCS back when it was AOCS and API didn't exist), but yes we still do it.

Josh

Thanks. API DID exist back then, but only ROTC/USNA bubbas did it. We did all that stuff, but it was part of our program. If I recall, we had some faster minimum times, but hell, those guys were Ensigns already, so they shouldn't have had to prove themselves. My guess is they called it a "C-Course" because it was a bit like a cross county run. Some asphalt track, some tree-lined hard packed ground, and (ugh!) a bit of sand.

O-Course was...interesting. When you first saw it, you thought, "That don't look so tough." Wrong. It was pretty much an ass-kicker and by the time you crossed the line if you weren't ready to puke you were either a PT stud or a puss who didn't try very hard. A-4 seems to have a picture of everything else, wonder if he has one of the "Orange Torture Chamber?"

By far, the best PT at AOCS was the beer run. It was a good hard run (5-6 miles) in formation, singing Jodies, with a trashcan full of cold beer at the end. Did one about every 3-4 weeks. The worst was the rifle run. 1.5 miles doubletime with our rifles at order-arms and singing too. It was one of those "weedout" things. If you didn't finish with your class, you dropped down a class.