• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Indoc PRT at OCS

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Thanks. API DID exist back then, but only ROTC/USNA bubbas did it. We did all that stuff, but it was part of our program. If I recall, we had some faster minimum times, but hell, those guys were Ensigns already, so they shouldn't have had to prove themselves. My guess is they called it a "C-Course" because it was a bit like a cross county run. Some asphalt track, some tree-lined hard packed ground, and (ugh!) a bit of sand.

By far, the best time at AOCS was the beer run. It was a good hard run (5-6 miles) in formation, singing Jodies, with a trashcan full of cold beer at the end. Did one about every 3-4 weeks. The worst was the rifle run. 1.5 miles doubletime with our rifles at order-arms and singing too. It was one of those "weedout" things. If you didn't finish with your class, you dropped down a class.

I've heard some GREAT stories from AOCS. It sounds pretty intense. Although from what I've heard OCS nowadays is more of a mindfvck than AOCS was back in the day. It seems more like if you couldn't hack it, you rolled or were gone, whereas nowadays, even if you're in the middle of the pack they still make you feel like you're gonna "go away" if you slip one bit.:D Great memories...

Kickflip89

Below Ladder
None
Contributor
Could someone go into detail about what happens when you get rolled and how many times you can roll.

It varies. If you fail the In-PFA, or get hit with a failure to maintain during indoc week, or you get injured, you roll into H-class. You'll stay in H-class until the staff thinks you are fit to continue training, and then you roll into the next class (you take a lot of PFAs in H).

If you roll for failing an evolution (test / inspection / etc), you are generally put directly into a class below you.

As for how many times you can roll...it depends on how the staff views you / how much effort you put into the training. If you try your hardest and fail, then at least you tried your hardest and you'll generally be given another chance.

That should give you a general idea without giving away any surprises.

The Stoic

Ha thanks, my dads an old marine and doesn't like that I can find stuff out on the internet. He thinks it would build character if I just went in blind and got all the "surprises" I could handle. Personally I like it better this way and i'm sure nothings like actually being there.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
It varies. If you fail the In-PFA, or get hit with a failure to maintain during indoc week, or you get injured, you roll into H-class. You'll stay in H-class until the staff thinks you are fit to continue training, and then you roll into the next class (you take a lot of PFAs in H).

If you roll for failing an evolution (test / inspection / etc), you are generally put directly into a class below you.

As for how many times you can roll...it depends on how the staff views you / how much effort you put into the training. If you try your hardest and fail, then at least you tried your hardest and you'll generally be given another chance.

That should give you a general idea without giving away any surprises.

Actually it is two failures for a graded evolution to roll like an inspection or test....unless you suck really badly.

olpa9901

Been there, (PNS) Done that.
back in the day

Well I went to OCS back in when it was in PNS and let me tell you I rolled because master guns saw a few with bad form and said "SUBTRACT 30!" to my partner that was counting. That was enough to make me fall short by like 2 pushups. I was so pissed at my jerkoff partner, nobody actually subtracts that many. I just took the punishment in stride.

Crazy thing was that this jarhead wannabe SEAL had the same thing happen and he went that afternoon to master guns office and questioned him on that decision since he was in the 100 range for pushups and somehow the two became best of friends. (still made him sit two weeks in H, however)

So the point is, make sure form if decent and you can do far more then the bare minimums. And if the DI/MG says "minus x" do the person a favor and don't get him rolled. In my 6 months at OCS nobody EVER counted 1,2,3,4,5,6 or subtracted the actual number asked. It's part of the system to learn to look out for your shipmate.

Some may say that this shows bad character or whatever, but lets not go for details...rules are broken all the time at OCS, it's learning when and where they can be broken. (can i say we must be between the sheets from 2200-0500)???

xmid

pilot
Contributor
In-PRT is Sat Medium.

Bad gouge. As has already been said, you need a good low in order to not get rolled. That should be pretty accurate considering I watched the newest class take their in-PFA a couple days ago, and that was how it was for us. We had 17 roll on in-PFA. The mid-PFA is not really a failable evolution, although they want to see improvement. I haven't seen anyone rolled for mid-PFA or out-PFA, although I'm sure if you really sucked that bad they would roll you. Of course you probably wouldn't still be in your class to run the mid or out-PFA if that were the case...

radar

"So the point is, make sure form if decent and you can do far more then the bare minimums. And if the DI/MG says "minus x" do the person a favor and don't get him rolled. In my 6 months at OCS nobody EVER counted 1,2,3,4,5,6 or subtracted the actual number asked. It's part of the system to learn to look out for your shipmate.
Some may say that this shows bad character or whatever, but lets not go for details...rules are broken all the time at OCS, it's learning when and where they can be broken."

Is this good or bad gouge? I have heard from other ensigns that OCS is about helping your class out all the time whether it be on tests, room inspections, etc.. but at the same time where does it go from being an honor violation to helping your classmates out? If I'm counting for my partner on the in prt and the DI walks by and tells me to take 30 off should I or not? Thanks

bb1125

None
Is this good or bad gouge? I have heard from other ensigns that OCS is about helping your class out all the time whether it be on tests, room inspections, etc.. but at the same time where does it go from being an honor violation to helping your classmates out? If I'm counting for my partner on the in prt and the DI walks by and tells me to take 30 off should I or not? Thanks
Does that happen, yes, but I'll give you this warning. There was a guy in my class that was rolled because he was counting his partner's BS pushups and the DI subtracted pushups from both of them.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
From what I've been told, this is the first of many decisions you will have to learn to make in your career as an officer. Everything in OCS supposedly has a purpose.

neumero4te

Ensign!
if you really are that worried about the difference between sat-med and good-low... tell master guns i said hi when you get to H

neumero4te

Ensign!
Bad gouge. As has already been said, you need a good low in order to not get rolled. That should be pretty accurate considering I watched the newest class take their in-PFA a couple days ago, and that was how it was for us. We had 17 roll on in-PFA. The mid-PFA is not really a failable evolution, although they want to see improvement. I haven't seen anyone rolled for mid-PFA or out-PFA, although I'm sure if you really sucked that bad they would roll you. Of course you probably wouldn't still be in your class to run the mid or out-PFA if that were the case...

You did not watch them you're still OC.. yall were busy getting slayed by your DI who just got back, were you not... it's sat-med. Go pull out your OCR.