• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Individual Augmentee (IA) info & questions

navy_or_bust

Thanks for your insight. I am currently in Army ROTC but working on my BDCP app. I know in 5-7 years when I will be on my first shore duty things will be different but I do like parts of the Army and think I might enjoy working directly with them at some point.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Most folks aren't complaining about IAs not being fair; it's that they're unpredictably assigned, often on very short notice (I had two weeks) and for jobs we're not really trained to do. Anyway.

Your community generally has little to do with what you do on your IA. The billets sometimes specify a designator or community (e.g., a lot of Prowler bubbas are doing battalion EWO tours), but most of the time it just specifies a paygrade.
Hmmm...when I was in GA, I asked the officers about IA billets. They said that it's something you have to volunteer for, but your post indicates that they call you up and tell you that you're going to Iraq or Afghanistan in two weeks. Can anyone clarify this?

The biggest worry I would have about doing such a thing, if it came to it, is the lack of training for the job. It sounds like they train you for a couple weeks, then expect you to do the job of an Army O-3.

gtg941f

pilot
Hmmm...when I was in GA, I asked the officers about IA billets. They said that it's something you have to volunteer for, but your post indicates that they call you up and tell you that you're going to Iraq or Afghanistan in two weeks. Can anyone clarify this?

The biggest worry I would have about doing such a thing, if it came to it, is the lack of training for the job. It sounds like they train you for a couple weeks, then expect you to do the job of an Army O-3.

They seek volunteers first, then if the positions aren't filled (it's a timeline, but I don't remember the specific number of days) they start telling who to pack their bags.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Did this thread get moved? Any reason so?

Throwing me for a loop, quite a few ppl on here that have posted, that don't have access to this forum... so... assuming that it did get moved.

phrogpilot73

Did this thread get moved? Any reason so?

Throwing me for a loop, quite a few ppl on here that have posted, that don't have access to this forum... so... assuming that it did get moved.
Still listed as being in the Private Naval Aviators forum... Threw me for a loop as well...

Crowbar

None
Moderator Panel said:
07:29, 4th Feb 2008 Thread moved to 'Private Naval Aviators'.

Where it was moved from I don't know, but it also shows it being merged with several other IA threads.

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
What I learned about the different services on an IA (with 4 days notice that got pushed to give me a month - which actually just made it MORE painful) can be summed up in how I learned each approaches a problem:

A given task takes X number of people to properly accomplish:

Army: Assign 3X people to it so it will get done faster. In reality, the task only takes X people, so the other 2X have nothing to do, and just hate the system because they don't have enough to do and might as well be back at home.

Navy: Assign 1/3X people so that the work will be more challenging and cost effective. In reality, it gets done, but hurts like a sonofabitch, and those assigned just hate the system because they're worn down to the nub.

Air Force: Determine how long it will take X number of people to complete the task, then rotate 3X people through the job so they all get experience doing it. Job takes twice as long to complete, and everyone around them hates the system more because now they have to work harder to get the new Zoomie up to speed.

USMC: Break the task down, re-evaluate its manning requirements, and make it a collateral duty for the combined S-1/3/6.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A given task takes X number of people to properly accomplish:

Army: Assign 3X people to it so it will get done faster. In reality, the task only takes X people, so the other 2X have nothing to do, and just hate the system because they don't have enough to do and might as well be back at home.

Navy: Assign 1/3X people so that the work will be more challenging and cost effective. In reality, it gets done, but hurts like a sonofabitch, and those assigned just hate the system because they're worn down to the nub.

Air Force: Determine how long it will take X number of people to complete the task, then rotate 3X people through the job so they all get experience doing it. Job takes twice as long to complete, and everyone around them hates the system more because now they have to work harder to get the new Zoomie up to speed.

USMC: Break the task down, re-evaluate its manning requirements, and make it a collateral duty for the combined S-1/3/6.

Dead-on balls-accurate. I would add that the Navy assigns 1/3X people to do the job, and 3X people in progressively higher paygrades to supervise him, take the credit if it works, and dodge the blame if it goes to hell.

Also, the AF rotates so many people through, the job never actually gets done (90-day rotations consist of 30 days of being the clueless new guy, 30 days of blaming everything on your predecessor, and 30 days of pushing everything off on your relief). Then they'll apply for a waiver not to do it anyway because either they don't want to do it anymore or it's been pushed off so long it's been OBE.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Speaking as a Former Battalion/Brigade EWO in Iraq, EW experience in not a hard requirement, it's more of a nice to have. You will get all the training you need to succeed. We had F-18 and Helo pilots doing the EWO job in Iraq. Heck we even had flight attrites. It's not all that hard.

Now if the ARMY would just step up to the challenge of taking over the job, then RFF-611 could die a proper death.

McNamera, never say never. They dude taking your place could easily fall out and you could slip right in. Sorry to hear that you fell like you are getting jerked around. But don't feel bad...I never got my orders and my detailer called me the weekend I was supposed to be on the plane to Kuwait. Nice...someone dropped the ball. He gave me my "30 day notice" and I was gone.

If you end up going, PM me and I can give you some pointers on what to take.

-ea6bflyr ;)

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Speaking of IA's...I'm DONE with that muthafucker! Got off the Freedom Bird in Nawfik last night. Getting back to beating America's Future's pointy little heads with knowledge next week.

Praise Jeebus, free at last.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Welcome back!! It's a strange surreal feeling returning....like no-one except you was affected by the IA. Hmmmm.

-ea6bflyr ;)

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Speaking of IA's...I'm DONE with that muthafucker! Got off the Freedom Bird in Nawfik last night. Getting back to beating America's Future's pointy little heads with knowledge next week.

Praise Jeebus, free at last.
Welcome back!!

swerdna

None
Contributor
Individual Augmentee (IA)

How many officers are serving as an IA?

Is it possible to volunteer for IA duty right after OCS?

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
How many officers are serving as an IA?

Is it possible to volunteer for IA duty right after OCS?

Great question. I'm not sure how many officers are on IA at one time. As for your second question: It's ill advised. When you go to OCS, your are training for your future Navy job. An IA will usually come later in your career. Learn your job and then you can volunteer as an IA.

-ea6bflyr ;)

phrogpilot73

Learn your job and then you can volunteer as an IA.
Sage advice, although I think he has the right mindset... "Let's see - I've been getting my nuts kicked in for 12 weeks straight. Maybe I should just slam my dick in a door for 6 months and get it outta the way now while everything's still numb."