• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Individual Augmentee (IA) info & questions

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Sage advice, although I think he has the right mindset... "Let's see - I've been getting my nuts kicked in for 12 weeks straight. Maybe I should just slam my dick in a door for 6 months and get it outta the way now while everything's still numb."

Doesn't the above basically describe the very beginning of a Marine Officer's career?

BlackBearHockey

go blue...
How many officers are serving as an IA?

Is it possible to volunteer for IA duty right after OCS?

In the same vein, is it possible to do one right after commissioning in NROTC? It seems that it would be best for a career path... do an IA, maybe with some additional training, and then stay in one community's pipeline.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
In the same vein, is it possible to do one right after commissioning in NROTC? It seems that it would be best for a career path... do an IA, maybe with some additional training, and then stay in one community's pipeline.

You're forgetting that the majority of IAs require a specific rank and most specify a designator (or include a group of them).

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

No. Negative. It is not. As a brand-new O-1, you have nothing of value to contribute to the GWOT...sorry. You are not trained in any warfare area, nor do you have experience. At best, you'd be a warm body filling Powerpoints somewhere deep in the Green Zone or Camp Virginia.

Naval aviators are expected to take an IA/GSA sometime between the end of your first sea tour and when you roll back to sea as a DH.

Next question.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
No. Negative. It is not. As a brand-new O-1, you have nothing of value to contribute to the GWOT...sorry. You are not trained in any warfare area, nor do you have experience. At best, you'd be a warm body filling Powerpoints somewhere deep in the Green Zone or Camp Virginia.

Naval aviators are expected to take an IA/GSA sometime between the end of your first sea tour and when you roll back to sea as a DH.

Next question.

Refer to Animal House ROTC scene. "You are worthless..."
neidermeyer2+mark+metcalf.jpg

What Uncle Fester said.

-ea6bflyr ;)

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Next question.

Refer to Animal House ROTC scene. "You are worthless..."
anim05s.jpg

What Uncle Fester said.

-ea6bflyr ;)

BlackBearHockey

go blue...
Tell me, BlackBear: what sort of IA would accept a...man...like you?

It's a UMaine pin, sir!

In all seriousness, my post wasn't suggesting taking guys straight from NROTC/OCS and sending them to the two week course and then to an IA. But, in MY mind, it would make sense to take someone who has no obligations or ties to a community, and instead of training them for 1-2 years, train them for 4-6 months in some capacity where they could make a difference.

Even if it's just making powerpoints in the green zone, wouldn't that free up someone to do the ground-pounding mission? I couldn't think of a more rewarding way to start a Naval career. I think it would impact for the better many an Ensign, teaching him or her some great things to take with them before they start their career in their community.

Again, just the thoughts of a Mid...

P3 F0

None
But, in MY mind, it would make sense to take someone who has no obligations or ties to a community, and instead of training them for 1-2 years, train them for 4-6 months in some capacity where they could make a difference.
Again see Uncle Fester's post above.

"As a brand-new O-1, you have nothing of value to contribute to the GWOT...sorry. You are not trained in any warfare area, nor do you have experience."

Really. You can't just drag Joe Schmo in off the street and expect him to do anything right. Maybe you can do powerpoints, but can you brief a room full of O-5's and O-6's without making an ass of yourself? Do you know how to play Pocket Tanks while making it look like you're actually doing work? Seriously, though, you do your community training, get through your first tour, and you'll be worth sending out there. You can't just take all the things you learn in those years and substitute a few hours of powerpoint turnover.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Come on guys, we all know:

cui bono said:
the military as being something when can only contribute to in our youthful (18-24) years.

The options for a non-qual ENS to do an IA are there, but few and far between (I cannot stress that enough), usually reserved for people with "issues."

You also need to consider the credibility factor, of which a boot ENS has none.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
It's a UMaine pin, sir!

In all seriousness, my post wasn't suggesting taking guys straight from NROTC/OCS and sending them to the two week course and then to an IA. But, in MY mind, it would make sense to take someone who has no obligations or ties to a community, and instead of training them for 1-2 years, train them for 4-6 months in some capacity where they could make a difference.

Even if it's just making powerpoints in the green zone, wouldn't that free up someone to do the ground-pounding mission? I couldn't think of a more rewarding way to start a Naval career. I think it would impact for the better many an Ensign, teaching him or her some great things to take with them before they start their career in their community.

Again, just the thoughts of a Mid...
Errr...

In all seriousness, we're in the NAVY. Our job is to protect U.S. interests AT SEA, and that gets broken down into specific designators. It is not to go to Iraq to make power-points.

There is a "fast track" to getting to Iraq or Afghanistan if you really want to go -- it's called the USMC or US Army.

Besides, if serving at sea doesn't "make a difference," why have a Navy at all? (rhetorical question, obviously)

Clux4

Banned
Making Power point can be a pain. Without you understanding the way things work, your briefs will look like sh!t. You or your boss will feel like sh!t when the audience scrutinize your brief.
Why would you want to do that to yourself when you could spend time on the beach at Pcola and learn how to fly on Navy dime. Trust me there will be tons of IA to do in Afghanistan because that is where the new fight is.