• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Individual Augmentee (IA) info & questions

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I did an IA to the CAOC in Qatar. It sucked but was worth the career dividends.....and the tax free+"combat zone" pay.....Tampa is the hook however.
That is awesome news. Seriously, a lot of folks want to contribute to the GWOT effort "in country." However, they also want to have some form of input in the process or at the very least, know what types of billets are over that need Navy manning. The unpredictability of these IA's and the short term notice associated with them has really caused a lot of stress for many families. It's good to see the Navy finally taking this action. This has needed to happen for a couple years now.

OldNavy

My youngest son (he's a CT) got a 3 year tour of instructor duty in Hawaii cut short by 2 years. He has to leave Hawaii in December and go to Bragg for training. He then reports to a PRT in Afghanistan. This comes after 3 years of sea duty on a foward deployed CG.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
...3 year tour of instructor duty in Hawaii cut short by 2 years...

Without knowing any details, it sounds like a perfect candidate for an IA tour. My buddy had his shore duty in San Diego changed to an IA in Iraq for a year. I guess now he get to have that shore duty in San Diego.

staff03

still new to military lingo... does this mean that IA's are now voluntary?? or do you at least have some input as to what you want to do on your shore duty?

user2176

STA-21 Core Selectee FY08
Contributor
And just think, I just volunteered to go on a IA.....

This new move should help manning levels though.

P3 F0

None
still new to military lingo... does this mean that IA's are now voluntary?? or do you at least have some input as to what you want to do on your shore duty?
The way I read that message is that the process is now institutionalized. You'll still probably get an IA assignment, but now it'll be worked into the regular detailing process instead of shoved on you with a 2-week notice.

On another note, does anyone know of any guys getting IA's either during a sea tour or while negotiating for sea orders?

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
The way I read that message is that the process is now institutionalized. You'll still probably get an IA assignment, but now it'll be worked into the regular detailing process instead of shoved on you with a 2-week notice.

On another note, does anyone know of any guys getting IA's either during a sea tour or while negotiating for sea orders?

Yes, that has happened quite commonly, in both scenarios.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Worried? We are still looking for guys at work, and it would not be too far of a commute for you......;)

P3 F0

None
Worried? We are still looking for guys at work, and it would not be too far of a commute for you......;)
It's not that I'm worried, but the wife really wants to know what's going to happen next year (although I will admit to a bizarre fear of camel spiders). And you call an hour a short commute?

navy_or_bust

First off, I don't want this to turn into a discussion about is it fair or not. I was wondering has anyone here been on an IA tour? What Naval community do you belong to and what did you do on your IA tour? In general how was your experience working with the Army? Has it change your perspective on the other services? Finally are there any awards that a soldier would receive that most sailors won't have that you are allowed to wear? I know some things do not carry across services.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Most folks aren't complaining about IAs not being fair; it's that they're unpredictably assigned, often on very short notice (I had two weeks) and for jobs we're not really trained to do. Anyway.

Your community generally has little to do with what you do on your IA. The billets sometimes specify a designator or community (e.g., a lot of Prowler bubbas are doing battalion EWO tours), but most of the time it just specifies a paygrade.

Everyone's trained by the Army for at least a couple of weeks, but you may or may not be working with the Army in-theater. Or if you are, it's as part of a joint command, not necessarily an Army command. It has been an education; I've worked with the Marines and AF a lot before, but this has been my first real exposure to the Army and how it does things. Generally favorable, mostly just different.

The awards thing is in flux. At first it was the typical staff drone response "no you can't wear Army decorations, uniform regs don't allow it". Finally someone pointed out this was rather stupid. You can wear any and all medals/ribbons you've been awarded on an IA. There has been a lot of discussion about the Combat Action Badge, and I don't know where it stands now. The Army has awarded them to Sailors assigned to Army units, but whether the Navy allows them to be worn, I'm not sure.