• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

IMPORTANT INFO FOR ALL GOING TO OCS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agent00JP

I am here at OCS now in GTX waiting two weeks and rolling out of my class bc the guys at NAMI found something that was found on my MEPS physical. The kicker is that they didn't even LOOK at my medical records from MEPS. Everything was cleared by a cardio consult and there was no need for a waiver. Also, if I am not mistaken, there is a Flight Surgeon on the selection committee for all aviation applications. All of this (the waiting and possible NPQ after starting OCS) could have been prevented had they told me, "Hey, we need the flight surgeons at NAMI to look at this (bc God knows they are the only experts in the nation) before we clear you to start OCS. Can you take a trip down there for an exam? That way you won't have to waste 10 months waiting for OCS just to get NPQ for something we can clear up now." Even if I am cleared at my appointment next week I still agree with Paul.

JP

"I have not yet begun to fight! "
-John Paul Jones

www.Fly-Navy.com

FlyGirl

Ok, Well guess I got lucky guys. I was about to leave for OCS in the 22 Feb 2003 class...however, a week before my departure I had a CO watch my PRT. While I scored "ok", I was having problems with form on pushups and situps and my run wasn't it's best. My orders got pulled that day and I'm now waiting to enter in October. I was told they are looking at statistics as far as the physical part and anyone below a Good Medium to Good Low is not "statistically" going to make it through OCS. So do what you can to get things done before you get there. I'm happy to say I'm busting my ass and doing what I can to get into OCS as soon as possible.

To Ensign Hall: I agree with you in part...some of these guys/gals need to understand what they are going to go through. I was fortunate enough (or unfortunate..haha) to know a friend (LT-JG) on the JFK with you who was attrited. He got through API and part of primary. I also have another friend in Norfolk who went through OCS and gave me horrifying realistic portral of the DI and all the stuff I have to go through. But as they say, each person experiences things in their own way and sometimes, and no matter how much you have been told, you may not be prepared for everything that lies ahead. Through everything, the advice, the gouge, the stories, the rumors...know what you want and do EVERYTHING you can to do it. Recruit friends and family to help you get there. Get up and go running at 5am. Go swimming -- have a professoinal look at your strokes. Bug the recruiter....if he/she doesn't answer you, get ahold of their boss. Do what you have to and do what you need to. No one is perfect in every aspect and everyone here could improve on at least one thing to make their success a step closer.

PS: You think the Navy "cares"? You guys are in for a real shocker there if you think they care about every little person that walks in and says I want to be a pilot....because believe me, they don't. And I think the reason the navy is allowing people to possibly get out after a year is to fight the negativity and not hold people in that don't need/want to be there. Some people are better fitted to a civilian job.

As far as the unknowns you cannot control...don't worry about them until they become a problem. (And I thought women were bad about being worry worts! LOL) Know you goal, if you come to a problem -- know your options, see what you can do and do it! If you can't and you are forced to give up...then go to plan B. In fact, every person here should also have a plan "B" and even a "C". I know too many people who after they have tried one thing and failed..put their hands up for everything else in life. That's not how it should be. Remember, as a naval officer you will be a leader and a leader leads, plans and prepares his/her troops. If you cannot be a leader in your own life...then how can you possibly have those troops respect you as an officer?

Anyhow, just my two cents...or five (haha) Feel free to comment...this is America.

Flygirl

There are no rules, just follow your heart. - Robin Williams

NuSnake

Fly girl...you got lucky i think.....

I know of 3 guys in my district that are out of shape and theyre gettin halled off to Great Lakes because of it. They way I understand it now, if you're not in shape to go, with us anyways, theyre not gonna send you and if you took money you're goin to basic no questions asked. Sucks for those people who are unmotivated to get out and PT. Hell, the Navy is payin me to go to school and all they ask is to be in shape and make my grades, I think I can handle that. But just a warning to anyone who is slacking, I think there is some pressure from above to get those slackers out, so stay in shape and make your grades!!!!!

--Will

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
--Edmund Burke

navy101

I was told as long as you pass the prt and you are in the bdcp you have nothing to worry about. Anyone who gets sent to boot camp either did bad in school or failed the prt. The Navy is not going to stop people from going to OCS because they scored a satisfactory instead of an excellent in the prt.

NuSnake

I know of 2 guys going to basic because they didnt score in the good-low range. I think its because of the attrition stats for thos who go down there and arent in good shape....thats just what we were told. but I think one of them screwed up in school and pushed his graduation date back like a year....so im pretty sure thats what that is about. Oh well, I was just tryin to pass what I heard along, take it for what you want.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
--Edmund Burke

navy101

Just got off the phone with my recruiter about the prt. He said the new deal is 2 months before leaving to OCS that each person must take the prt. If they do not score a good low they will be rolled to a new date or given another shoot before OCS. If that person then fails the second attempt they will be sent to basic. He did not say much about having to obtain the good low for the bi annual prt so I don't know if it is required, but I don't think they will send you to basic if you dont get it.

jaznups

Makes sense so you don't get rolled down there...this way they aren't spending money on you I guess... I knew this girl who was in the holding pattern for about a month...she just couldn't self motivate! GOSH!

Jaz

Clarity comes when the confusion is gone.

aslam

Yeah, the PRTs here are no joke. You will get rolled to GTX immediately if you fail the in-PRT. It's also stressful because you do the in-PRT during poopie week with all the candidate officers and several DI's watching you. I didn't do perfect form on some of the PU & SU and they were not counted, but I ended up doing ok anyways.

ASLAM.

emart69

We've got a lot of emails lately in NRD Omaha district because of people grades slipping and people not passing PRT's. I don't understand it. Your getting paid to go to school and do nothing other than concentrate on that and your future and you can't work out four or five times a week. You're just hurting yourself if you're in bad shape when you get down there. I don't know the people in my district that my recruiter is referring too but he told me that they are really cracking down because of all the recent close calls with people being so badly out of shape when they get down there.

NuSnake

Same thing here at NRD Nashville with my DEP pool.......basically told us if youre not within standards youre screwed.

--Edmund Burke

DooDooBrown

my question is this. how in the world do they test you for headaches? or is it if you just admit to it on some questionaire and that will get you NPQ'd?

frogggystyle

Headache issues are something you tell them. Or, if you have a medical record that documents that type of history, they'll see it.

"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his." - General George Patton (1885-1945)

grouch

Originally posted by DooDooBrown
my question is this. how in the world do they test you for headaches? or is it if you just admit to it on some questionaire and that will get you NPQ'd?

DooDoo, it is something you had better hope you didn't put on your mepps prescreen. Lession learned for 'ol grouchypoo. That is the only way they will know about past history of headache, bad gas, bad breath, or anything else they seem to be kicking people out for these days. Luck to ya.

Status
Not open for further replies.