• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

IMPORTANT INFO FOR ALL GOING TO OCS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

WFU2USN

virtu050,

Thanks for the clarity of info!! Would you be willing to send me (email or Private Msg.)that LCDR's email address - I have a question regarding my own eye sight that I'd like to clear up.

Thanks!

Robin

BYSun

Thanks, virtu. Please tell you LtCmdr how much we appreciate his (or her) time for giving us useful gouge.

Bryce

In the end it all comes down to a simple choice, get busy livin' or get busy dyin' - The Shawshank Redemption

jmantel02

If you leave OCS (or intend to leave OCS) because you were NPQ'd from your 'dream job' then you have no business being there in the first place.

dufault.2

I am scheduled to begin OCS in August 2003. When I went through MEPS I was initally disqualified because of an abnormality they found in my heart. I went to a cardiologist who said it was nothing and okayed me. I was accepted last June and haven't thought about it since (I have never had any physical problems resulting from the murmur). After reading this topic, I am concerned about my future as a naval aviator. I would gladly serve my country in any capacity, but I would love to be a pilot. Should I go in for another check up right before OCS so I can get a waiver if NAMI wants to DQ me? Is this possible for something like a heart issue? Any advice would be much appreciated.

GO BUCKS!

hawkdocfmf

Originally posted by edato
Why don't they just check for everything at MEP's before you apply for OCS as an SNA? Wouldn't that save a lot of time and expense, instead of getting NPQ'd once you get there?

They dont check everything at MEPS because generally flight surgeons are not at meps stations. That would be virtually impossible since there are not many shore billets for them. They need to stay operational and they are the experts in the field

Heineken

SNA Advanced, Meridian
Originally posted by jmantel02
If you leave OCS (or intend to leave OCS) because you were NPQ'd from your 'dream job' then you have no business being there in the first place.

Totally disagree! Flying is in my blood and if I get NPQ'd for pilot I'm gone. I'm not spending any time on a boat unless it's MY job to fly on and off of it. My 2 cents...

Stephen

Hey guys,
Just reading some of your comments, On the whole redesignation thing. And it is true I'm currently assigned to the JFK in mayport. I attrited out of flight school. However, since I'm on PCS orders to a ship I have the option to redes or separate from the Navy once I've been abaord for a year. I'm still trying to decide what to do.

However, I'm a bit concerned about the statement of that's all you want to do is fly in the Navy. First of all I suggest that you do a serious gut check before you go to OCS and decide if being a Naval Officer is for you. Because on your commisioning date that is what you will be first and foremost a navy officer. Everything else is just icing on the cake. Also, remember this the Navy just does'nt hand out those wings of gold. They are hard to get and YOU WILL EARN THEM!! So I suggest to each of you prepare yourself in case you don't make it, because the stakes are higher now, in the past you could redes to another community, and you would still be an officer, but now you go home.

I'm not trying to be negative or anything , I want each an every one of you to get your wings. But at the same time I don't want anyone to have negative feelings about the navy if things don't work out the way we planned.

Again, If you do get your wings , and you join the Navy just to fly and you forget about your people(remember **** rolls both ways) I seriously suggest you think of another line of work. Because as an officer you have a lot of young sailors watching you and looking up to you as well. So just think of some these things.

Well I'm through preaching. Good Luck to you guys at OCS and flight school.

Ensign Stephen Hall

Stephen J. Hall

dhafeman

All I am saying (and I imagine hennekecfi too) is that if things do not work out for us as pilots in the Navy, I would prefer to not be redesignated. In particular, I am talking about the possiblity of being NPQ'd before OCS which really no one can control. There are tons of flying jobs out there, but I can't think of one more honorable than flying in the US Navy. That is the goal I am shooting for. I know it won't be easy and I know there are some things that are out of my control, which is why everyone should have backup plans. And when hennekecfi said flying was in his blood, he wasn't just saying that. Its hard for non-pilots (and even some recreational pilots) to understand, but there is something that just calls certain people to the sky.

So I didn't mean to come across as some hotshot who thinks they'll be in an FA-18 the day after getting commissioned. I just need to be flying (anything) to be content with what I am doing in life. I hope and want this to be in the Navy. But if it doesn't work out, like I said, I do have other options. I expressed these views to my recruiter before applying and was told that several other applicants shared them.

I understand your points though too.

Thanks and good luck to you as well,

David

Heineken

SNA Advanced, Meridian
Right....I have always wanted to fly for the Navy. I have spent most of my life preparing for this moment. It is a great honor just to be an Officer, but like DHAFEMAN is saying I have found my "calling" in life....flying. It wouldn't be right for me to accept another designator because I wouldn't be as passionate about it as I should be.

I know OCS will be a challange....it has to be that way to produce the best officers, but I have the proper motivation and nothing will stop me from graduating (except for NAMI but thats out of my control).

I would never be the type of officer to be so selfish as to just worry about flying and forget about my people. Being in a leadership position is something that goes hand in hand with being a Naval Aviator.

Fly Navy...good luck!

Jonathan

xmas

I went through NAMI (Naval Aeromedical Institute) as an enlisted aircrewman (P-3 In flight tech) and can tell you it is 10 times more rigorous than MEPS ever was, it seems they believe thier sole purpose is to NPQ people, they tried to do it to me for a depth perception test, I got around it because that test is only applicable to helo's, and I had fixed wing orders, if I didn't have those orders..... they would have screwed me and sent me packing. Getting through NAMI can be harder than making through OCS. I May try for NFO just because I have been through NAMI and had flight pysicals for years, but just be careful NAMI is not your friend!!!

tisoy

I hate to see all the negativity that is placed on NAMI/NOMI. I am currently attached to NAMI-Code 42 (Physical Qualifications, we're the ones who recommend who gets waivers to BUPERS, but I do work closely with the Physical Exams dept-Code 26). We at NAMI sometimes look like the bad guys because we are the one's who have to break the bad news to people that they are NPQ due to conditions that were not found prior to coming to us. Remember, the physicians at NAMI are considered to be the SUBJECT MATTER EXPERTS, that is why they work there. We do not want to send unqualified individuals out in the fleet who have medical problems or will later have problems. The physical exams you received prior to getting the "NAMI Whammy" physical was probably not done by a Flight Surgeon, therefore, those other physicians were probably not familiar with all the flight physical qualifications.

Also, NAMI Code 42 (Physical Qualifications) make recommendations regarding waivers, BUPERS is the overall decision makers on who and who shouldn't receive waivers.

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
idea_125.gif
Kill the mesenger!!
icon_smile_wink.gif

Dave

Paul Burke

tisoy- That's a nice, warm, and fuzzy way of looking at NAMI. Those docs are BASTARDS! They are totally unreasonable, self-edifying, egotistical, self-righteous people with God complexes. It doesn't matter if you have a totally logical and reasonable explanation for anything. You're NPQ'd, good bye. I fought those assholes for 6 months. They did not even give me the courtesy of a reach around.

Status
Not open for further replies.