• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

IMPORTANT INFO FOR ALL GOING TO OCS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

stocktok

In OCS you have to rest in the up position. In API they let you rest in the down position. Regardless, practice resting in the up position to better prepare yourself. Yes, they do care about where your knees are positioned. You will find that everything you do there is regimented, even the stretching.

ScottHook

Good God. I guess if NAMI wanted to check if we're prone to Anxiety attacks, they would just have us read this stuff. F it. This junk just pisses me off and makes me want to prove everyone I can do it that much more. Monday, I'm knocking out those 600 pushups, 600 situps and sprinting my way to that 9:30 run at altitude. Then I'm getting that 20/15 perscription filled, and won't stop studying the Big 4 until I can recite it word for word BACKWARDS. Doctors told me I couldn't be a doctor, and I believed them. Doctors will not tell me I can't be a NFO.

Sorry bout that, after reading 6 pages of replies I was starting to believe I was doomed, and that is a bad way to start thinking when I've only got a little over two months.

howlermonkey

Don't worry too much. When you meet your classmates for the first time, find someone or several people and make a deal. "I won't quit if they don't quit." (and if the person you made a deal with quits, make a new deal with someone else) OCS is about mental toughness. Everything else (aside from medical) will fall into place after that. The physical standards are not meant to be impossible. A lot of people plateau for a while at one level and it's not because of physical inability. It's psychological. In OCS, you'll probably find that you are capable of a lot more than you initially thought. You just have to trust the instructors and work as hard as you can. They're not trying to kill you, they're trying to teach you. It will probably hurt, but if you just trust the instructors and do it anyway you'll find out you can do so much more than you previously thought.

kmc9280

MEPS is a joke and everyone knows it. I tested at 20/400 in one eye and 20/75 in the other when I was actually 20/200 in both. I was DQ'd but had PRK done and got the waiver. I am very thankful now that I am going with USMC because they give you the flight physical before you even go to OCS to make sure you are qualified. They flew me out to MCAS Yuma and actually had a flight surgeon check me out. He's also the one that put all the paperwork together for my PRK waiver.

AY03

Hey guys,
I'm going for NFO with the Nov. 15 OCS date. Can anyone tell me what the flight physical consists of.

Sophro

SNA--13 Nov 2004
Time to resurrect a dead thread...

All that anyone has really talked about to this point has been bogus assessments at MEPS which in turn led to NPQ's at NOMI. My question is this:

I had originally applied with the Marine Corps for officer/pilot. I was sent by them to a Naval air station to take what they called a "full flight physical." It took about 7 hours total and included all kinds of sight and hearing exams, in addition to x-rays, EKG, blood work, dental, anthropomorphic measurements, etc. After I was checked over by a flight surgeon at the end of the day, I was given the green light for passing all of the tests (20/20, good color and depth perception). I ended up going Navy instead and am waiting to class up next week. If they didn't find anything wrong with me during my flight physical, is it possible that NOMI could still find something wrong?

Is a "full flight physical" at a Naval air station more intense than a MEPS exam? It sounds like the exams I went through were very much the same as those being described at NOMI. I've been told that the Navy generally doesn't send applicants to NAS's but rather to MEPS. Any info would be appreciated.

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I went Navy and went to MEPS. It is definitely NOT anything like what I have heard a flight physical is like. What you went through already is way more thorough than what I did.

spidie

Applying for CEC, USMC
I just looked at this thread now, and after 6 pages what I have gathered is MEPS is a group of morons or something. Is there a different group who is more professional than these people who can do physicals, I just want to be an engineer who has an option for combat services. Also does anyone have and idea on documentation about the swim tests. I was back at my recruiter getting more stuff for my packet, anf she mentioned that she was going to need to administer a 500 yd swim test on me. I can run and everything else well, but I just learned how to swim and need to build up that part of my fitness. I mentioned this before here and no one heard of that test for getting into OCS just the tower jump ... etc. What is going on, am I going to have to swim 500 yds in 11 min or under in about 3 months or so, I practice everyday but cannot see that happening. Just need some good information I can bumb it up to 2 or 3 times a day in the pool kicking my own a$$ is not a problem I like hard work, just not for a deadline that is really not there or needed.

By the way to whoever sent me the comment not to join his navy just a friendly piece of advice, should think of getting used to me because when I get in I'm staying :)_

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
Since the Marine Corps is a naval service, we piggy-back on the whole naval aviation thing. The maintenance and qualification programs are all but identical, save for a few areas. As a Marine SNA, the flight physical that I take is the same one that y'all Navy folks take.

kevin

difference being that you get a full flight physical before going to ocs for the mc, versus after ocs for the navy. they also ****ed up with me when i was applying navy and gave me the wrong (full class I) physical. the logic for the difference is that the mc doesnt want to sent someone to ocs who's taking up a slot that wont be physically qualified anyway, and the navy says they dont want to waste the money on someone who's not going to pass through ocs. just a different philosophy.

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
You get a full physical on day 2 at Navy OCS. Its the first monday and tuesday that you are there. You are not even allowed to take the in prt until after the physical.

The full flight physical called a "long form" is very similar to what you will get at NOMI/NAMI on day two of Navy OCS. It is the same test's and blood work, but the docs at NAMI/NOMI dont deviate from the standard. A physical from a flight doc at a Naval Air Station is more laid back than NOMI. Most guys that get a long form are ok at NOMI. However, there is the occasional NPQ at NOMI that MEPS or even a flight doc may have missed. NOMI will be very thourough in looking you over. They want to make sure that you are 100% good to go. If you arent, then the Navy isnt going to want to risk putting big $$$ into you. The good thing about this is that you will know if you are ok or not before all the bs at OCS starts. If you are NPQ'd for flight and do not want to stay in the Navy, you can go home and not play the OCS game. If you are quald for SNFO or some other job and you want to stick around, then the choice is up to you.

Wolfpack

You do not have to swim 500 yards before OCS. I was tested last week. A 50 of freestyle, 50 of backstroke, 50 of sidestroke and a 50 of breast stroke. They want to see you tread water a little and swim 50 feet under water. They basically want to see if you are comfortable in the water and will be able to be trained when you get there. You can go as slow as you want and relax. That was the biggest thing I had to learn in swimming. It saves a lot of energy.

pineapplehead

BDCP Crypto, OCS - July 9, 2005
spidie,

The 500 yd swim is an alternate test that can be used in place of the running for the PRT (except not at OCS). I've read somewhere around here that some BDCP candidates have to do the swimming in place of the running at least once while they are waiting to go to OCS. I think the Navy wants to make sure that nobody washes out because of lack of swimming ability, especially the BDCP people after they've spent so much money on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.