• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

IMPORTANT INFO FOR ALL GOING TO OCS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

turboweeny

That is because Jim did not preview his message. Had he done so, he would have noticed the comma after .com. Get rid of that and you will get the link.

marti

I read the first "success story" on this website and I call bulls@#%.

These people are high on crack. If this thing actually worked then Harm would have used it a long time ago. Don't you think he would rather be shooting down incoming missiles than sitting behind some desk. Let's use our heads here people.

bisouss69

I wouldnt say the the medical people know what they are doing for medical exams for OCS. I just had my medical exam done and I even gave them the OCS instruction for the requirements for OCS and I had to go back 4 different times. My advice is to make sure navy medical does their job because all honesty they dont really care. You have to take the initiative if you want to get things done. Unfortunatly there are too many incompetant people in the service and unfortunatly we cant fire any of them!
Originally posted by virtu050
here is a quote from an email from my recruiter regarding the medical exam at OCS:

"The Navy is not in the business of selecting
officers and then making them enlisted sailors. You have nothing to worry
about, your eyes are fine and the people who handle the medical things in the
Navy are very good at what they do. They know the different program
requirements and I am sure that if you are close you will get the benifit of
the doubt. Don't be spending your last few days as a civilian in a state of
worry...Have some fun, it will be a while until you can again. "

Ironnads

GTX veteran here. I was NPQ'd (SNA) from class 08-03 back in october for 20/60 in my left eye (Mepps said 20/25). The doctor said I wasn't a candidate for PRK. Supposedly there is a program that the opthamologist can approve where the candidate leaves to have PRK and can rejoin after he is released by the doctor. I came back to Dallas and the doctor here said PRK was no problem for me so I went ahead and had both eyes burned. (20/40 in right, mepps said 20/20). I still have a month to go before I can get my 3 month post-op letter for the Navy, but now I have to re-submit my packet and proceed to the back of the line. For all of those who haven't had the pleasure of experiencing GTX, it is pure torture and should be banished from this earth.

Travis Alexander

ghost_ttu

So you are saying it's bad? *laughs* I NEED TO GO FLYING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Eliminate distractions, focus on your goals and visualize what you hope to accomplish.

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
GTX Rules!

Esp when some nice CAndio ( cough cough ) orders pizza and brings in movies. Don't tell me that practice has already been stopped? This little treat motivated the GTX'ers and kept the moral up. If you are a Candio in GTX reading this then lighten up. Just have the guys on watch interogate the pizza delivery guy. Now that was excitement. I'd be willing to bet that Papa John Driver still wont come back to deliver at ocs.

Dave

Dave Shutter

I helped out the INDOC guys in my class on a beuatiful rainy sunday and I told the new guys about a magical realm within the OCS universe where time stands still. One guy smirked liked he didn't believe me. A couple days later he was marching in to chow with the GTX guys. A word of advice: unless you're bleeding from an oriface, don't go to sick call until week two!

marti

I was wondering if anyone knew whether or not people are still having no luck getting redesignated after being NPQ'd for pilot.
What are some of the more likely designations that people get when this happens? SWO? Supply? AMDO? NFO? I was also wondering if anyone had ever had a problem with their NAMI Physical because of having a scar (or in my case scars) on their head. I have a couple of spots on my head where I got stiches (various childhood accidents like falling off a bike) My concern is that they would look at this and freak out for some reason. I read somewhere that a guy was NPQ'd for something simular. I know I'm not the only guy out there that has gotten stiches on his head so I was wondering if anyone could comment on a past experience with good ole' Navy Medical.

Paul Burke

Sick Call in week 2? That's still too early to risk it. I caught a glimpse of that memo about the aviation attrites/DOR's and it says that anyone who loses their designator in OCS will be sent home with no option for applying for redesignation.

Marti- Unless you have a fetus or third arm sticking out of your head from where the stitches were then don't worry about it.

virtu050

P-8 Bubba
pilot
so if you NPQ from SNA but are physically qualified for another community (regardless of if another one is open) they wouldn't just send you home right?

WFU2USN

With the way all of the communities are very full at the moment, they might send you home - it just depends from what I understand on if they can find you something. I know there have been numerous posts about this.

virtu050

P-8 Bubba
pilot
I got this response from the NAMI eye doctor... I dunno if he knows the deal but I would imagine he would..

-----
I wish I could calm all rumors. However, rumors are like elbows. There are many reasons for NPQ in regards to OCS. In regards to physical quals, there still exist many reasons for NPQs. For Ophthalmology, you may be NPQ for SNA but PQ for NFO. It is up to each applicant to decide at that point.

I think that the rumor of not being allowed a redesignation is false. We have many that are NPQ SNA. They should have been informed of this before ever reaching Pensacola. Unfortunately, some are given the benefit of doubt, show up, and we become the bearer of the bad news. Some just want to be pilots and nothing else. If that is the case, they tend to shoot themselves in the foot.

We are in the military - not the civilian sector. Our way of doing business is strict - it has to be. However, it is not our postition to remove someone from the military because they do not meet certain standards. There are other communities open to these applicants. Again, their choice.

I hope this clears this rumor for you.

LCDR, MSC USN
Aerospace Optometrist
Naval Aerospace Medical Institute

Status
Not open for further replies.