• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

IMPORTANT INFO FOR ALL GOING TO OCS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RC

That is a Farnsworth Lantern (FALANT) test. The light colors are actually red, green and white. According to the NOMI website this test is only given after you have failed the pseudo-isochromatic plate(PIP) test. Was this the case? I hate to see this stuff happen to anyone. By the way, the test that was given to me at the MEPS to test for this was the Ishihara plates test. Anyone with similar experiences?

Edited by - RC on 08/18/2002 16:14:21

sonnyb

yeah RC. When I went to MEPS the other day, I was given the lantern test. In the middle of the latern was an area that would show two dots. The dots were probably no bigger than a penny. I had to determine the color of each dot, the top first, then the bottom dot. Only three colors would appear-red, green or white. I was not happy at all with the vision test because the tech was rushing me through the exam. I had my eyes checked last month, they were at 20/200 each eye (I'm going fo NFO), yet after the test at MEPS, they were at 20/400. Also, I took the depth perception exam, I passed, but it was not easy.

JayManC

RC
When I went to MEPS I'm not sure the test I was given namewise; but it was basically a book with a floodlamp over it, they had me stand at a line on the ground and as they flipped through the pages (which consisted of multiple colored dots with red/white/green numbers in the image) you just told them which number you saw.

<insert something witty here:>

E6286

OCC 191 Select
My question is what do they use for measuring refractive errors? I think it is an autorefractor but I think the nurses don't know what they are doing b/c when I went to MEPS I tested at 20/25 and then they said I was -2.25 diopters (disqualifying) so I went to a regular OD like they told me to if I wanted so I could still apply if I passed there and the doc used a phoropter and I didn't have ANY refractive error. Do the MEPS ppl. mess up this big all the time?

RC

Sonny - was this a mchine that you looked into? Did the test seem difficult?

Jay - those are Ishihara plates. Same thing I had to take at the Meps. The guy flipped through the book really fast. I mean really fast.

E6 - They did not use a refractor on me at the MEPS. I dont think refraction is actually measured until you get to OCS during the actual flight physical.

E6286

OCC 191 Select
Well, I'm assuming the machine I had to look into (right after the depth perception test) that gave my refractive error was an autorefractor.... Like I said though, I think they didn't really know what they were doing b/c they said I was -2.25 and my eye doc said that is virtually impossible with 20/25 vision as well as according to him I have no refractive error. Anybody have any thoughts?

JayManC

once again excuse my ignorance, but at MEPs i looked into a device that had some blurry lines, then as they started it they came into focus, the guy asked me to read the bottom line and i did....20/20 and then it spat out some readout of my prescription which was right on with what my glasses are.

<insert something witty here:>

Oliver

I also had problems with the MEPS depth perception test. Very few of the dots actually stood out when I looked through the machine. I falied the test, but was told to go to a certified optometrist. I found out I didn't have any problems at all with my depth perception. I didn't miss any on the Randot test given eye doctor. MEPS seems to be vary haphazard in their testing and the equipment seems to be very outdated. Which is one reason the preflight exam is probably much tougher. It dosen't seem logical though.

virtu050

P-8 Bubba
pilot
if by some reason you don't pass the visual acuity test.. i.e. 20/40.. can you have it tested at an independent doctor in lieu?

delvek

i was under the impression that if you were under BDCP and didnt live up to your end of the bargain then you served your time enlisted!

david.

Dave Shutter

I was going to post on this topic but was waiting for some more concrete info, but I had not heard about the NPQ side of the fence. What I have seen happen to people recently involves attrition from training, either DOR'ing or flunking out. You also will be going home!

GENAV is apparently 150% manned and all other communities are closed out, at least to people transferring that is. So if your coming down here for training you might want to leave your PS2 at home and take it easy on the night life. This applies to OCS people though, USNA and ROTC will get jobs somewhere for the remainder of their obligation. I'm pretty sure the same will apply to BDCP but I haven't heard anything. Prior service may also get re-assigned depending on experience and qualifications.

This does not apply to USMC however, you guys just got hit with STOP-LOSS!

jlinscott

WOW! This is scary. I am currently in the BDCP program and I am prior enlisted Navy. If I get NPQ'ed for my designator (SNA) will I be kicked out of the NAVY? That would be devistating!!!! Can't I request to wait for a new designator no matter how long it takes? I would wait in GTX company for how ever long it took. My ultimate goal is to become a Naval officer, the designation that I get is secondary (although I would really like the opportunity to become a Naval Aviator). If i get NPQ'ed would there be anything someone in my situation could do?

Now you people have really got me worried!!

j

NuSnake

since you're BDCP, you "owe" the Navy something. As I understand it, because of this, you wont be just put out on the street. I believe they will find a job for you until your obligation is up----because of the money they gave you in college you "owe" them. Hope this helps.

Dave Shutter

ckligg01...it's probably best that you do know that now, a little extra motivation can't hurt. I hope everything works out. Enjoy Poopie week.

Status
Not open for further replies.