• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

IFS - What should I expect?

rossaholman

Lt, USMC
Im reporting to IFS by Sept. 15th, just curious what kind of information I could get about it before I get there. Any information would be useful. Something like what a average day will be like, PT during it, etc. Thanks guys.

s/f

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
I'm currently awaiting IFS..

Here's what I can tell you from info I've gotten... It's not military run, so no PT or anything like that... when you do fly, it'll be with contracted civilian instructors and such.
It's pretty much show up, do your flight/class and go home.

My roommate has completed IFS, so PM me with any questions, and I'll forward to my roommate.

Good luck and such. Hope it helps.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
Let me guess...your name is Ross Holman? jk. Don't worry about IFS its a load of fun. Best advice I ever heard, "Never voluntarily get out of the cockpit" - my Company Commander at TBS

tony7500

0+ hours...
rossaholman said:
I will be doing IFS in Q-town, before I go to TBS. You guys have answered my basic questions. Just wanted some idea of what to expect.

When did you find out that you'd be doing IFS before TBS? I wanted to do it before TBS too but it looks like I'll be doing IFS after TBS like most others. Thanks!

rossaholman

Lt, USMC
Im laughing over here ... thanks for the detailed plan for day one. It is a sweet deal that I get to do IFS before TBS, it will be nice to get that taste of flight before I dive back in. My OSO was trying to get me in to do PTAD but said that since Im going air, I didnt get to do that. I was looking forward to that 60 days of pay while chillin with my OSO (one bad-ass hard-charger) and his staff. Anyway, I put in to do IFS after TBS because I was hoping to get there right after I graduated in May. When word came through that I was going to TBS in Nov, they pushed to get me to IFS before TBS. Thats kinda how it all went down.

Are there really any Marine Corps obligations during this time for me while Im there? It would be nice to just do IFS stuff, PT and kinda get back into the swing of things.

I did OCS combined last summer and have spent the last year in nastyville back at college. I freakin miss the Marine Corps. I have had just about enough of college kids, Im looking forward to being around Marines again.

PSno23

GEAUX TIGERS
pilot
rossaholman said:
Are there really any Marine Corps obligations during this time for me while Im there? It would be nice to just do IFS stuff, PT and kinda get back into the swing of things.

You're soul purpose in life will really be to get IFS done with. You'll be in a separte platoon in Mike Co. (the IFS platoon) so you won't be put on any working parties. So when you're not flying, either lock your door or don't answer it if somebody knocks, or just stay away from Camp Barrett.

DimndDave14

If you already have some flight time, passed the written test and done all your solos etc ... but do not have a private pilots license do you still have to do IFS.

usmcecho4

pilot
It all depends on if you've done a solo cross country or not and if you have your log book etc.

s/f,
usmcecho4

CitizenReloaded

sweet

I am reporting to IFS on 15 sept too

sounds like the life for me - and some good time to get that last minute off my 3 mile time :)

usmcecho4

pilot
Yeah, from what I hear IFS is a lot different (ie more bull****) at the other locations (Dulles Aviation, Quantico Flying Club, and PCola).

s/f,
usmcecho4

Spin

SNA in Meridian
Maaaaaan,

Manassas is MONEY. Everyone is really cool and the flying is pretty easy. Had a GREAT time over there. I pretty much considered it a paid vacation. Other than IFS time (study, flying, etc.) use this as an opportunity to relax and enjoy life cause in API you will have very little of that. Primary is a little better but API is 4 weeks of straight work.

Peace,

-Spin

PSno23

GEAUX TIGERS
pilot
I did it at Dulles Aviation and loved it. Only problem I had was with weather. I really liked the way they did things there.