• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

IFS - What should I expect?

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
usmcecho4 said:
IFS Day 14 at Manassas Aviation Center:

Arrive 0900 for 0930 flight
0900-1000 wx report, file flight plan, pre-flight
1000-1115 practice takeoffs, landings, s-turns, turns around a point, pattern flying
1115-1145 debrief
1145-xxxx go home for conduct of crew rest

Semper Fi,
usmcecho4

How many flight hours do you have?

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
Day XXXXX in the fleet

Arrive at 0615 to post as ODO (to include making coffee for the grumpy field grade)
give various ODO briefs throughout the morning
1300ish get relieved as ODO
1300-1730 pulling hair out working my ground job (no time for PT)
1730-2300 flight plan for tomorrows flight....which btw I'm not flying

I'd say that's leaning towards the slow side of a "typical" day.

Enjoy every minute of IFS and flight school!

Oh and Echo4, that's good ****, keep up the postings.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
usmcecho4 said:
7.6 dual and an imposing .4 simulated instrument.

Semper Fi,
usmcecho4

And you are roughly 2 wks in?...interesting...thanks for the gouge, its always interesting to hear how IFS is changing...

teufelsurfer

Helos in Paradise
doing IFS BEFORE TBS to me is a bad idea- you think the corps is going to be all fun and games and full of 4 hour days until you hit day 1 at TBS.

Manassass has newer equiptment (apparently) and they are better structured than quantico. Quantico relies heavily on the IFS program to stay alive IMO. My instructor at Q was awesome, taught me tons, but fellow LT's said they learned very little. It may just be the less-tightly structured nature of civilian flight vs. military instruction. Yes, it's fun to go to manassass to get out of TBS for a while.

However I will say there are few more thrilling times in my life as when I heard tower say to a white-top(executive transport helo) "Nighthawk 1, make way for single Cessna 152 on short final for runway 02". Or being told by tower, "Cessna, be advised, traffic is two V-22s passing left to right" and seeing two Ospreys in formation come in for a landing, back when most Marines had never even seen an osprey in real life.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
teufelsurfer said:
doing IFS BEFORE TBS to me is a bad idea- you think the corps is going to be all fun and games and full of 4 hour days until you hit day 1 at TBS.

Manassass has newer equiptment (apparently) and they are better structured than quantico. Quantico relies heavily on the IFS program to stay alive IMO. My instructor at Q was awesome, taught me tons, but fellow LT's said they learned very little. It may just be the less-tightly structured nature of civilian flight vs. military instruction. Yes, it's fun to go to manassass to get out of TBS for a while.

However I will say there are few more thrilling times in my life as when I heard tower say to a white-top(executive transport helo) "Nighthawk 1, make way for single Cessna 152 on short final for runway 02". Or being told by tower, "Cessna, be advised, traffic is two V-22s passing left to right" and seeing two Ospreys in formation come in for a landing, back when most Marines had never even seen an osprey in real life.

On the other hand it does provide a good buffer to get back into military life before TBS. Besides at the end of TBS all I wanted to do was get away from that place and I couldn't imagine hanging around for another two months...even for IFS...

teufelsurfer

Helos in Paradise
jamnww said:
On the other hand it does provide a good buffer to get back into military life before TBS. Besides at the end of TBS all I wanted to do was get away from that place and I couldn't imagine hanging around for another two months...even for IFS...

I asked for the last IFS class available. Spent all summer hanging out in DC and doing MCMAP (was working on my black belt when i finally started IFS). A great paid vacation after graduating from TBS. I remember talking to the first class that was doing IFS BEFORE tbs and the guys were going to manassass, saying "oh man being a pilot is awesome, we're there like half the day then we take the rest of the day off! And I get to wear whatever I want! TBS is cool! I'm so glad I'm an air contract!" And I'm thinking "wow... rude awakening in three... two... one..."

/slight exaggeration

usmcecho4

pilot
Totally agree. IFS before TBS is just teasing. It's nice to have something to look forward to when sitting in your fighting hole/well. Besides if you DOR from IFS you don't get to select anyway so there's no advantage to doing it first.

Semper Fi,
usmcecho4

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
usmcecho4 said:
Totally agree. IFS before TBS is just teasing. It's nice to have something to look forward to when sitting in your fighting hole/well. Besides if you DOR from IFS you don't get to select anyway so there's no advantage to doing it first.

Semper Fi,
usmcecho4

True, that was started just as our class was hitting TBS...

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
usmcecho4 said:

Teufel and Echo,
Do you gents see any advantage in pre TBS IFS if you're not going to be able to get PTAD. I'm older than the trees (for a flight contract) and I think I just want to start drawing pay and benefits. It'd also save me having to work at frickin' Home Depot or something in the meantime.
Semper Fi, Doc

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
DocT said:
Teufel and Echo,
Do you gents see any advantage in pre TBS IFS if you're not going to be able to get PTAD. I'm older than the trees (for a flight contract) and I think I just want to start drawing pay and benefits. It'd also save me having to work at frickin' Home Depot or something in the meantime.
Semper Fi, Doc

That basically hits the benefits right on the head...you start getting paid sooner...which is a big deal if you aren't coming from enlisted AD...

VAmookie

How long is IFS, 4 weeks? or do you do it on your own schedule? Or is it set up like a class and 15 of you all go for a month while in mike company. Please tell me how scheduling works, thanks.