• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

IFS - What should I expect?

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
CORPSviation said:
How long is IFS, 4 weeks? or do you do it on your own schedule? Or is it set up like a class and 15 of you all go for a month while in mike company. Please tell me how scheduling works, thanks.

I am sure that you could find this stuff on here if you did a search but I was bored so I thought I would humor you...

IFS is...well you have 60 days to complete it but it is kind of as soon as you can get it done given the weather...They set you up in a group, you all do ground school together and have flights scheduled individually...

That help?

NavyOCS

Just checked into Mike Co. yesterday. Its different from what I had expected. I was still a little gun shy from OCS. It became apparant really fast that it is far more laid back...for now. Its alright. I have a safety brief on Mon. and then start tues.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
KizerSosay said:
Just checked into Mike Co. yesterday. Its different from what I had expected. I was still a little gun shy from OCS. It became apparant really fast that it is far more laid back...for now. Its alright. I have a safety brief on Mon. and then start tues.

Gotta love Mike Company...(most sarcastic tone I can get...)

VAmookie

Is there a november or december class for IFS? And if i start TBS in Jan, is this enough time to complete IFS (taking into account delays for weather)?

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
CORPSviation said:
Is there a november or december class for IFS? And if i start TBS in Jan, is this enough time to complete IFS (taking into account delays for weather)?

They don't have set IFS schedules, they will start groups whenever they have enough people to do them...as for the timing don't worry they will take care of all of that...

usmcecho4

pilot
There were guys in my company that didn't finish IFS before they classed up and ended up finishing their flights on the weekends. This must have totally sucked. TBS with no weekends doesn't sound like much fun to me. Some of them were still flying 2 months into training.

Semper Fi,
usmcecho4

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Real-world SoCal Day 347 at NAS North Island:
Flight scheduled. Flight cancelled. Drank beer.

Corripe Cervisiam,
kmac

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
Well, had my first day at Dulles Air. Reported into Mike Co. last Thursday, did minimal (yet, all necessary) processing last week and early this week. Had a 4 hour class just to go over an outline of the whole program. Took a look at the aircraft. Filled out some paper work, then called it a day. Next day to do anything ... Monday. Have the rest of the week and weekend to do ... nothing. Once that first pay check comes through some more options will open up, but till then ... its watching DVDs and surfing the net. PT as always, too. A lot different than I thought it would be ...

Shadow9660

devil dog,
Did you have an initial "safety brief" with your IFS coordinator, and if so, how long was the meeting? I'm trying to see if I can either skip it, or reschedule it due to recruiter's assistance I'm trying to get.

PSno23

GEAUX TIGERS
pilot
Shadow9660 said:
devil dog,
Did you have an initial "safety brief" with your IFS coordinator, and if so, how long was the meeting? I'm trying to see if I can either skip it, or reschedule it due to recruiter's assistance I'm trying to get.

You cannot start flying until you have that safety brief. No ifs, ands, or buts.

Herc_Dude

pilot
Contributor
Yeah, I would reccomend just doing it. And it sounds like it wont be a choice.

usmcecho4

pilot
Depends on where you go. At Manassas Aviation Inc they can have you flying 7 days a week multiple times a day if you want. You will make your own schedule for the most part. Quantico and Dulles Aviation make your schedule for you so you're kinda at their mercy and subject to last minute changes in flight times etc.

Semper Fi,
usmcecho4

Herc_Dude

pilot
Contributor
1st flight at Dulles Aviation...

Rode in the back seat for the first hour, then got to take the controls. Took off, flew out to the practice area. Practices some turns, climbs, decents ... and then almost got ran into!!! I couldnt believe it. We were flying towards the sun, when another aircraft (looked like a Piper or something) came from our 10 high. It was over before the instructor or myself could do anything. We figured it cleared us by about 30ft at the most. The instructor, with 15 yrs of flight expirence, said that was by far the closest encounter ever. After all that fun, we did some more turns and went back and landed.

How often does trash like that happen? Wasnt shaken too bad, it was just a great story to tell after my first hour in the air. So, we are gonna drink and laugh about it tonight.

s/f