• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

I’ve Had Covid - Am I Obligated to Tell?

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Btw in case it wasn’t obvious I wasn’t calling anyone a POS. I guess that first line was left over from something I started to post earlier

Waveoff

Per Diem Mafia
None
They are suuuuuuuuper reluctant to have anyone get tested unless they’re very very symptomatic.

I don't know where you are, but down in the southeast our wing is handling close contacts as "get tested at the clinic, and stay home until the result comes back negative." I wouldn't call them test-happy, as they aren't shoving a Q-tip down everyone's nose with a sniffle. But, they aren't being lax either. A family member of mine tested positive after I was home for christmas. I let doc know and he had me get a test and stay at home until the results came back negative (which thankfully they did).

SlickAg

pilot
I don't know where you are, but down in the southeast our wing is handling close contacts as "get tested at the clinic, and stay home until the result comes back negative." I wouldn't call them test-happy, as they aren't shoving a Q-tip down everyone's nose with a sniffle. But, they aren't being lax either. A family member of mine tested positive after I was home for christmas. I let doc know and he had me get a test and stay at home until the results came back negative (which thankfully they did).
Close contact with a known positive is a two-week quarantine for us. No test unless you have pretty solid symptoms.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
There's a NAVADMIN about this. Like any policy, YMMV wrt level of adherence and commands may have to modify from baseline (with first flag permission) to meet their needs. The "close contacts may return to work with a negative test" is from an older rev. It now requires 7 day minimum for non-operational commands and 14 days for operational commands, unless you're vaccinated.

With that, for AD servicemembers there is a clear policy on what to do if sick which starts with calling the 24/7 1-888-navy-med. People should not be randomly getting COVID tests because they're curious, because they're bored on a Saturday afternoon, because their dad is a doctor, or any other reason other than being told to get one by a military healthcare provider. People should not be getting antibody tests except in exceptional circumstances and when recommended by a military healthcare provider. We also encouraged people to talk to their spouses about how COVID tests are limited and they should not get one unless referred by a doctor. It's really annoying to have to ROM someone for 7-14 days because their wife got a CVS rapid test when she was tired and had a stomach ache. A bit of a gray area is whether a spouse who self-refers counts as a PUI. For these kind of cases we started talking to the doc and asking if he would refer the patient had they come in....if he said no then we didn't consider them a PUI. Again YMMV. The reporting criteria for a positive test implicitly assumes the symptoms or exposure was recent.

If the member and their families adhere to the above, no one has to answer silly questions like what to do when they took an antibody test for no reason 3 months ago and it came back positive.

Relevant snippets below.

NAVADMIN 037/21 said:
7.B. [MOD] IDENTIFY, QUARANTINE, AND MEDICALLY SCREEN CLOSE
CONTACTS OF COVID-19 CASES. ISOLATE SYMPTOMATIC PUIS AS DEFINED
IN PARAGRAPHS 2.A AND 2.B AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. MINIMUM SCREENING
SHOULD INCLUDE USE OF CDC COVID-19 QUESTIONNAIRE, CDC FACILITIES
COVID-19 SCREENING, AVAILABLE AT HTTPS://WWW.CDC.GOV/SCREENING/PAPER-
VERSION.PDF TO ASSESS RISK. TEST ALL CLOSE CONTACTS OF CONFIRMED OR
PROBABLE COVID-19 PATIENTS. PEOPLE WHO HAVE PREVIOUSLY TESTED POSITIVE
FOR COVID-19 DO NOT NEED TO QUARANTINE OR GET TESTED AGAIN FOR 3 MONTHS
(DUE TO VIRAL SHEDDING), BUT MUST CONTINUE PHYSICAL DISTANCING AND
CLOTH FACE COVERING USE. IAW CDC GUIDANCE ALL IMMUNIZED PERSONNEL
(GREATER THAN TWO WEEKS AFTER FINAL DOSE OF VACCINE) WHO RECEIVED THEIR
LAST DOSE WITHIN THE PAST THREE MONTHS AND HAVE REMAINED ASYMPTOMATIC
DO NOT NEED TO QUARANTINE IF THEY ARE A CLOSE CONTACT, BUT MUST FOLLOW
STRICT HEALTH PROTECTION MEASURES. WHEN ADEQUATE SHIPBOARD QUARANTINE
CAPACITY IS EXHAUSTED, CONSIDER TRANSFERRING CLOSE CONTACTS TO UNITS
WITH REMAINING CAPACITY OR ASHORE, IF FEASIBLE AND MISSION ALLOWS.
IF QUARANTINE SPACE IS LIMITED, PRIORITIZE NON-IMMUNIZED INDIVIDUALS.

7.B.1. [NEW] CLOSE CONTACTS WHO SUBSEQUENTLY TEST POSITIVE WILL BE
ISOLATED AND TREATED UNDER COVID-19 CASE PROTOCOLS. CLOSE CONTACTS
ATTACHED TO OPERATIONAL UNITS MUST REMAIN IN QUARANTINE FOR 14 DAYS
EVEN IF THEY TEST NEGATIVE. SOME INDIVIDUALS MAY TEST NEGATIVE FOR
SEVERAL DAYS AFTER EXPOSURE AND IT MAY TAKE UP TO 14 DAYS TO BECOME
COVID-19 POSITIVE OR EXHIBIT SYMPTOMS. IAW REF (E), COMMANDERS OF
CLOSE CONTACTS ATTACHED TO NON-OPERATIONAL UNITS AND STAFFS HAVE
THREE POSSIBLE QUARANTINE DURATIONS BASED ON WORK ENVIRONMENT AND
CIRCUMSTANCES OF CLOSE CONTACT: (1) QUARANTINE 14 DAYS (2) QUARANTINE
10 DAYS OR (3) QUARANTINE 7 DAYS WITH A NEGATIVE TEST ON OR AFTER DAY
5 FOLLOWING CLOSE CONTACT EXPOSURE. QUARANTINE DURATIONS LESS THAN
14 DAYS INCREASE THE RISK OF POST QUARANTINE TRANSMISSION OF INFECTIONS.
FOLLOWING 7 OR 10 DAY QUARANTINE, INDIVIDUALS SHOULD WATCH FOR SYMPTOMS
UNTIL 14 DAYS AFTER EXPOSURE AND IMMEDIATELY SELF-ISOLATE IF THEY
DEVELOP SYMPTOMS.

7.B.2. ASYMPTOMATIC INDIVIDUALS QUARANTINED DUE TO CLOSE CONTACT ARE
NOT CONSIDERED A PUI, PER PARAGRAPH 2.B....

7.F. ANTIBODY TESTING AND VIRAL CULTURE. ANTIBODY TESTING OR VIRAL
CULTURE SHOULD NOT BE USED AS A PRIMARY OR STAND-ALONE RETURN TO WORK
CRITERION. HOWEVER, IF EITHER HAVE BEEN OBTAINED DURING A COVID CASE
CLINICAL EVALUATION, RESULTS MAY BE USED AS SUPPLEMENTAL CRITERIA FOR
PARTICULARLY CHALLENGING CASES OR FOR PUBLIC HEALTH OUTBREAK
MANAGEMENT PURPOSES.

7.G. COMMAND AND MEMBER NOTIFICATION. THE INDIVIDUAL SICK SLIP
(DD FORM 689) MUST BE USED TO NOTIFY BOTH THE MEMBER AND THE CHAIN OF
COMMAND OF ANY TEST-CONFIRMED OR PRESUMPTIVE COVID ILLNESS, WHETHER
SYMPTOMATIC OR NOT. SECTION 11 (DISPOSITION) AND SECTION 12 (REMARKS)
MUST CLEARLY INDICATE THE MEDICALLY-RECOMMENDED DISPOSITION, FOLLOW UP,
AND QUARANTINE/ISOLATION REQUIREMENTS IN ACCORDANCE WITH THIS GUIDANCE.
THE SICK SLIP MUST ALSO BE USED TO NOTIFY ASYMPTOMATIC MEMBERS AND THE
CHAIN OF COMMAND OF ANY PUI OR CLOSE CONTACT, QUARANTINE, OR ISOLATION
REQUIREMENTS IN ACCORDANCE WITH THIS GUIDANCE. BEGINNING AND ENDING
DATES OF THE QUARANTINE/ISOLATION PERIOD, SYMPTOM-FREE REQUIREMENTS,
AND MEDICAL FOLLOW UP MUST BE CLEARLY INDICATED IN SECTION 12
(REMARKS).

Last edited:

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
What I hear is you don’t encourage any freedom of healthcare amongst your Sailors and their families and feel you are authorized to invfluence their dependas in their own personal healthcare choices, as well as delve into their HIPPA protected information...

Now that’s some intrusive leadership boys and girls, someone get this guy an EP and a NAM...

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
What I hear is you don’t encourage any freedom of healthcare amongst your Sailors and their families and feel you are authorized to invfluence their dependas in their own personal healthcare choices, as well as delve into their HIPPA protected information...

Now that’s some intrusive leadership boys and girls, someone get this guy an EP and a NAM...
You hear wrong. What you should have heard is that people shouldn't be self-diagnosing COVID without consulting a healthcare professional through the proper channels. Additionally, when you talk about 'freedom of healthcare' you should also educate yourself on navy policy wrt healthcare for active duty servicemembers. Pro-tip: it's owned by the CO, not the member. If you don't like it, then find another line of work.

Last edited:

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You hear wrong. What you should have heard is that people shouldn't be self-diagnosing COVID without consulting a healthcare professional through the proper channels. Additionally, when you talk about 'freedom of healthcare' you should also educate yourself on navy policy wrt healthcare for active duty servicemembers. Pro-tip: it's owned by the CO, not the member. If you don't like it, then find another line of work.
Yes and no. If someone wants to go out in town and get a test, they are 100% free to do so, and nobody in that Sailor’s CoC should be throwing shade on them for doing so. The idea that a member’s healthcare is “owned” by their CO is a pretty fucked up way to look it. The CO is entitled to be informed about certain aspects of a member’s healthcare, and can have input on things like the timing or authorization of some elective procedures when they might impact readiness, but it is a benefit the service member is entitled to largely use as they see fit.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Please ask experts about HIPAA - talking out your ass helps no one.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Please ask experts about HIPAA - talking out your ass helps no one.

Spekkio: “You hear wrong. What you should have heard is that people shouldn't be self-diagnosing COVID without consulting a healthcare professional through the proper channels. Additionally, when you talk about 'freedom of healthcare' you should also educate yourself on navy policy wrt healthcare for active duty servicemembers. Pro-tip: it's owned by the CO, not the member. If you don't like it, then find another line of work.”

Please enlighten me on how the command has any rights to the healthcare aspects of a spouse/child? As long as my Sailors answered the COVID questionnaire, we went down the path it directed...I NEVER asked about the symptoms of their spouse, or tried to sea-lawyer them into work with the flight doc. Your priorities are wildly misplaced if you care more about keeping someone at work than keeping the organization safe (not to mention letting someone care for their family).

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
"Have you or any member of your household been exposed to or diagnosed with COVID-19?"
“Yes” end of discussion. Not an opening round of discussion with your leadership about the symptoms of Petty Officer Timmy’s dependa

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
In for a penny, in for a pound, especially if you're looking to validate SVM's input/story.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
People should not be randomly getting COVID tests because they're curious, because they're bored on a Saturday afternoon, because their dad is a doctor, or any other reason other than being told to get one by a military healthcare provider.

We also encouraged people to talk to their spouses about how COVID tests are limited and they should not get one unless referred by a doctor. It's really annoying to have to ROM someone for 7-14 days because their wife got a CVS rapid test when she was tired and had a stomach ache.

Waving the bullshit flag on this one. We were encouraged to get regular COVID tests, as much as one weekly, out in town while I was on AD orders at March ARB. California has free drive through testing through Curative. Tests aren't rare, and if the military really wanted to take things seriously, they'd spend money on weekly testing, like the airlines and the Guard units in some states do. They'd stop wasting manpower with BS temperature checks. If you want to know if someone has COVID, you test them for COVID.

We get annual HIV tests because there is a small chance that we might get exposed to it. Our chances of being exposed to SARS CoV 2 is much higher, and the chances of COVID taking down an entire unit is much higher (it's already happened) than HIV/AIDS ever will have.

And the military doesn't really get to dictate what my spouse does for medical care. That's up to her, with the input from her doctors. TRICARE decides what they'll pay for. The military only ensures that she has access to medical care.

Wow, @picklesuit and I agree on something. Weird. :D

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Waving the bullshit flag on this one. We were encouraged to get regular COVID tests, as much as one weekly, out in town while I was on AD orders at March ARB. California has free drive through testing through Curative. Tests aren't rare, and if the military really wanted to take things seriously, they'd spend money on weekly testing, like the airlines and the Guard units in some states do. They'd stop wasting manpower with BS temperature checks. If you want to know if someone has COVID, you test them for COVID.

We get annual HIV tests because there is a small chance that we might get exposed to it. Our chances of being exposed to SARS CoV 2 is much higher, and the chances of COVID taking down an entire unit is much higher (it's already happened) than HIV/AIDS ever will have.

And the military doesn't really get to dictate what my spouse does for medical care. That's up to her, with the input from her doctors. TRICARE decides what they'll pay for. The military only ensures that she has access to medical care.

Wow, @picklesuit and I agree on something. Weird. :D
I’m actually concerned, I think you, Brett, and I agreed on something...