• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

I’ve Had Covid - Am I Obligated to Tell?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I thought if you had an uncomplicated case and didn’t get hospitalized it was pretty simple now? At first, no. But I thought they put something out like that.
That's accurate. Asymptomatic = not an issue to get an up chit (were never really down). FWIW, we had aircrew test positive on an antibody test, then negative on the nose swab. No further action required by medical or aircrew.

To the OP, depending on local policy, you may be required to report the results of any positive test out in town. That is the case here in Fallon. Probably not too consequential either way, but I'm not seeing the downside in letting your flight surgeon know so that it can be noted in your record.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
OP - before you tell anyone that you definitely have had COVID, you may want to read the fine print on that COVID anyibody test. It’s possible for a human to obtain a viral antibody without having had the virus. For example, with common cold coronaviruses, newborns receive antibodies from breast milk. I doubt that scenario applies to you and to your specific COVID antibody test, but I would recommend you to not make that leap of logic if it’s not there medically. Also, look at the error rate on the test kit/ testing company.

So maybe what you tell the Navy if asked is “I was tested for the antibodies only, and the test - which has a stated error rate of X% - showed positive for antibodies. I’ve never had symptoms and never been tested for the virus itself” (or whatever your truthful situation is)

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
OP - before you tell anyone that you definitely have had COVID, you may want to read the fine print on that COVID anyibody test. It’s possible for a human to obtain a viral antibody without having had the virus. For example, with common cold coronaviruses, newborns receive antibodies from breast milk. I doubt that scenario applies to you and to your specific COVID antibody test, but I would recommend you to not make that leap of logic if it’s not there medically. Also, look at the error rate on the test kit/ testing company.

So maybe what you tell the Navy if asked is “I was tested for the antibodies only, and the test - which has a stated error rate of X% - showed positive for antibodies. I’ve never had symptoms and never been tested for the virus itself” (or whatever your truthful situation is)
OP, ignore this post. HW, please stay in your own lane WRT aviation medicine.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
HIPAA isn't applicable here.
If his dad is the health care provider? I don’t think the Navy can compel him to turn over those results...

Now, admittedly, I am not an expert, just an Aviator who has to listen to the doc scream HIPPA every time I try to figure out why my Sailors are off again...

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot

Attachments

• Military Command Exception FAQs 1212014.pdf
    487.4 KB · Views: 3

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
HIPAA doesn't apply here because there are no covered entities here.

HIPAA's Privacy Rule keeps you from seeing your sailor's PHI because you're not on the list of exceptions to the Rule.

If you were on your unit's Command Exception list then a provider could give you PHI but is not obligated to.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
HIPAA doesn't apply here because there are no covered entities here.

HIPAA's Privacy Rule keeps you from seeing your sailor's PHI because you're not on the list of exceptions to the Rule.

If you were on your unit's Command Exception list then a provider could give you PHI but is not obligated to.
I was on the list...had the letter and everything...

But I don’t see how the Navy could compel his (Doctor) dad to release results...

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I was on the list...had the letter and everything...

But I don’t see how the Navy could compel his (Doctor) dad to release results...
They don't have to if he is compelled by policy to disclose the results. In either case, this is not a helpful argument for the OP. He has the info necessary to make a decision on how to proceed. Not sure how sea lawyering this to death is helpful.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Over Christmas leave, my physician father administered an antibody test. He had several of the pregnancy-test-style kits and all it took was a drop of blood. Turns out, I have had Covid and have the long term antibodies as well. I’ve not yet received the vaccine, but I was curious as to whether I am obligated to inform the Navy of my discovery. Would this be considered receiving healthcare outside of the jurisdiction of the Navy? I could see it being articulated that way if someone felt the desire.

Drive through and mail away COVID tests are becoming more available and have been used widely in the absence of DoD testing availability. It's highly unlikely it would be articulated that way.

Obligated to tell the Navy, probably not. Smart to tell the Navy? Possibly. I know a FRS stud who caught covid and recovered fine, so it seemed, until they had a flight physical and their EKG showed really wonky stuff. The only thing that could explain the downing issue was the semi recent COVID infection. Long story short is they're med down and everyone is collectively trying to find a path forward to get them up. If there wasn't a COVID correlation I'm not sure how draconian the NAMI response would be for the medical issue at hand.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Another pos
Drive through and mail away COVID tests are becoming more available and have been used widely in the absence of DoD testing availability. It's highly unlikely it would be articulated that way.

Obligated to tell the Navy, probably not. Smart to tell the Navy? Possibly. I know a FRS stud who caught covid and recovered fine, so it seemed, until they had a flight physical and their EKG showed really wonky stuff. The only thing that could explain the downing issue was the semi recent COVID infection. Long story short is they're med down and everyone is collectively trying to find a path forward to get them up. If there wasn't a COVID correlation I'm not sure how draconian the NAMI response would be for the medical issue at hand.
What would telling the Navy ahead of time accomplish in that scenario?

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Another pos

What would telling the Navy ahead of time accomplish in that scenario?

In a similar situation, if the Navy knew the OP had a COVID positive antibody test and a disqualifying issue popped up on their next flight physical, COVID exposure documentation could be taken into account as a probable cause in support of an acute/single episode diagnosis (instead of a chronic/ recurring diagnosis) in the “exclusion of secondary causes” /detailed history step in applying for a waiver if it has been documented.

Ultimately it’s up to the OP to disclose as they see fit. If they do and nothing pops up then nbd. If they do and suddenly a disqualifying issue pops up on their next flight physical then having it documented could make the waiver determination process easier. Waivers for acute cases vs chronic are different ballgames.

Also, documentation in a medical record may be useful down the road in a potential VA/ disability claim as well.