• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

I’ve Had Covid - Am I Obligated to Tell?

Chalybeate

Over Christmas leave, my physician father administered an antibody test. He had several of the pregnancy-test-style kits and all it took was a drop of blood. Turns out, I have had Covid and have the long term antibodies as well. I’ve not yet received the vaccine, but I was curious as to whether I am obligated to inform the Navy of my discovery. Would this be considered receiving healthcare outside of the jurisdiction of the Navy? I could see it being articulated that way if someone felt the desire.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
how would this ever come up?
The question was is the OP obligated. If he is, would you recommend not reporting his status just because it might not come up? Just how are your ethics?

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Welcome to the forum. Maybe you should tell us something about yourself so we know what kind of advice to give.

As a general point: if you have to answer the question "Have you ever tested positive for COVID-19?", you should know what you have to do. The fact that it was apparently a home test kit makes no difference. Enjoy your ROM/telework as applicable, and move on with your life.

...That said, Christmas leave was a while ago. Why is this just now coming up?

Last edited:

Chalybeate

Welcome to the forum. Maybe you should tell us something about yourself so we know what kind of advice to give.

As a general point: if you have to answer the question "Have you ever tested positive for COVID-19?", you should know what you have to do. The fact that it was apparently a home test kit makes no difference. Enjoy your ROM/telework as applicable, and move on with your life.

...That said, Christmas leave was a while ago. Why is this just now coming up?

To be clear, I do not have COVID currently, and the indicated that I have long term antibodies, mean that I contracted it sometime in the previous months. So at this point, no ROM or telework would be required. Also, maybe a bit of semantics but I’ve not tested positive for Covid, but rather tested positive for Covid antibodies. A subtle difference, but important one in some instances anyway.
As far as why it’s just coming up, I honestly hadn’t thought much of it. A couple people in my family had the antibodies who had never been symptomatic, and we kind of just laughed it off as interesting. In the past few days I really only started to think of it in terms of something worth disclosing to the Navy. I also really have no problem disclosing that information, but was interested in what others thought in regards to what my obligations were.

exNavyOffRec

I don't know why this would be seen as a negative thing, and really you weren't seeking healthcare your dad is a doctor he had them so for the heck of it he gave you a test and it was positive, it seems harmless enough.

The give the test at kroger so would going to the grocery store pharmacy be considered getting healthcare? I hope everyone is overthinking this as to me it shouldn't be anything more than "hey my dad is a doc and this is what happened".

Of course we know the USN can overreact so I hope whatever you decide it turns out fine for you.

SlickAg

pilot
So there is no policy requiring informing of past Covid infection or positive antibodies?
They are suuuuuuuuper reluctant to have anyone get tested unless they’re very very symptomatic. If you never get tested, then you didn’t officially have covid, and then they don’t have to go back and contact trace close contacts and shut down the squadron for several days.

I’d love to get tested just to see if I had it. But, if I do, and it’s positive, then there’s no telling WHEN I had it, heck I could STILL have it, right? And if I MIGHT STILL have it then they have to shut everything down because of contact tracing. Turns out it’s hard to make the sausage when no one can come to work because of a covid close contact.

And yes, we’re all wearing masks, but according to the policy that doesn’t matter.

Hopefully this helps illustrate the landscape of life in naval aviation these days. BLAB, testing is an absolute last resort lest they have to shut everything down.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Given the laborious process to get a post-COVID up-chit, and the plausible deniability of never actually having “tested positive for COVID” I’d hide behind your father’s HIPPA requirements and let sleeping dogs lie.

If the Navy ever directly asks you “have you had a positive antibody test?” answer honestly...but that’s not what they are asking in the screening process.

Dontcallmegump

pilot
A little different but I'm the same vein. Went in for my annual a few months ago and the doc ended the chat with "oh by the way your flu test in March was negative". I didn't remember getting one then it came up I got sick about a year ago, it was kinda flu like but had some other symptoms. This was before covid was the mystery it is now and the guidance was it could only be covid with very specific symptoms so they suspected flu and gave me a test and I never heard anything more. He asked what the illness was like, I explained and his response was "ha, you probably had covid, have a good one man". So just look at it that way.

YMMV

SlickAg

pilot
Given the laborious process to get a post-COVID up-chit, and the plausible deniability of never actually having “tested positive for COVID” I’d hide behind your father’s HIPPA requirements and let sleeping dogs lie.

If the Navy ever directly asks you “have you had a positive antibody test?” answer honestly...but that’s not what they are asking in the screening process.
I thought if you had an uncomplicated case and didn’t get hospitalized it was pretty simple now? At first, no. But I thought they put something out like that.