• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

I’ve Had Covid - Am I Obligated to Tell?

Mos

None
It's really annoying to have to ROM someone for 7-14 days because their wife got a CVS rapid test when she was tired and had a stomach ache.
Why would you have to ROM someone for this? If it's just a stomach ache, the rapid test would come back negative within hours and ROM wouldn't really be needed at that point. If it's a positive test, why would you want the member to come to work?

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Why would you have to ROM someone for this? If it's just a stomach ache, the rapid test would come back negative within hours and ROM wouldn't really be needed at that point. If it's a positive test, why would you want the member to come to work?
It's not up to me, it's how your command interprets who is a PUI. Negative tests are not valid for excusing someone from ROM according to the NAVADMINs because the false negative rate is too high. Again, we eventually settled on calling the docs at the MTF and asking them if their symptoms met the threshold for referral for a test. But it took a few months to get there and the initial onslaught of covid hypochondriacs was...not fun.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Waving the bullshit flag on this one. We were encouraged to get regular COVID tests, as much as one weekly, out in town while I was on AD orders at March ARB. California has free drive through testing through Curative. Tests aren't rare, and if the military really wanted to take things seriously, they'd spend money on weekly testing, like the airlines and the Guard units in some states do. They'd stop wasting manpower with BS temperature checks. If you want to know if someone has COVID, you test them for COVID.
What are you waiving the bullshit flag on? The NAVADMIN for COVID testing outright says that test-based policies are no good and negative test results are not to be used for getting sailors out of ROM requirements.

This is Navy policy, not my personal opinion. That's great that your command is doing weekly testing, but it's not in line with Navy policy.

Last edited:

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Yes and no. If someone wants to go out in town and get a test, they are 100% free to do so, and nobody in that Sailor’s CoC should be throwing shade on them for doing so. The idea that a member’s healthcare is “owned” by their CO is a pretty fucked up way to look it. The CO is entitled to be informed about certain aspects of a member’s healthcare, and can have input on things like the timing or authorization of some elective procedures when they might impact readiness....
Which means that you own it. You're trying to be PC about it, but in no other line of work can a manager / boss talk directly to someone's doctor to discuss treatment options and come to the conclusion to defer an 'elective' (as determined by you) procedure to meet readiness requirements.

It's nice to tell people they're 100% free to get a COVID test if they want to, but under the letter of the law that means that person and everyone who has come into 'close contact' with him has to stay home for 14 days. So if we're in the interest of considering readiness requirements, maybe we should leave the adjudication of whether one should or should not get a COVID test to the healthcare professionals? Put a different way, how is someone getting a COVID test without a referral any different than someone getting an MRI because they want to?

Mos

None
It's not up to me, it's how your command interprets who is a PUI. Negative tests are not valid for excusing someone from ROM according to the NAVADMINs because the false negative rate is too high. Again, we eventually settled on calling the docs at the MTF and asking them if their symptoms met the threshold for referral for a test. But it took a few months to get there and the initial onslaught of covid hypochondriacs was...not fun.
Sounds like typical Navy leadership dysfunction. Glad I deal with this shit only part time. Good luck.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Which means that you own it. You're trying to be PC about it, but in no other line of work can a manager / boss talk directly to someone's doctor to discuss treatment options and come to the conclusion to defer an 'elective' (as determined by you) procedure to meet readiness requirements.

It's nice to tell people they're 100% free to get a COVID test if they want to, but under the letter of the law that means that person and everyone who has come into 'close contact' with him has to stay home for 14 days. So if we're in the interest of considering readiness requirements, maybe we should leave the adjudication of whether one should or should not get a COVID test to the healthcare professionals? Put a different way, how is someone getting a COVID test without a referral any different than someone getting an MRI because they want to?
PC? WTF does caring about your Sailors as human beings have to do with being PC? That's completely absurd, as is the rest of your post. Who said anything about a close contact? If someone wants to get a test out in town, that is their business. If it comes back positive, then it's also the Navy's business. If someone wants to pay for an MRI, whatever the reason, that's also their business. Your Sailors aren't wards of the state, and there's a clear balance between the interests of the individual and the interests of the command.

Your interpretation of this entire concept is bizarre and unsound.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Weird that @Spekkio was fighting “COVID hypochondriacs” and I literally had to threaten some of my Sailors with NJP to make them stay home...
It’s either a community or a command climate issue, but I’ll take the Sailors who are fighting to come to work every day.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
I'm still trying to reconcile "we also encouraged people to talk to their spouses..." with "taking sailors' freedom of healthcare away." Nothing you circled in red supports your thesis...and I do like how you omitted "we also encouraged people to..." in your microsoft paint escapades.

Also, thanks for the reading glasses font. A4s4ever will be very proud.

You should really work on simmering down on this FTN mentality. If the notion that SVM should follow navy guidelines and spouses should follow CDC guidelines makes you this angry, you really should seek some therapy.

PC? WTF does caring about your Sailors as human beings have to do with being PC? That's completely absurd, as is the rest of your post.
As CO, do you or do you not have the ability to talk to doctors and influence a treatment plan? Across the Navy, has this not led to multiple instances per year where a sailor had complications because the doc and CO initially determined that treatment could be deferred for the disease/condition at hand? That's the bottom line. That's what makes the CO 'own it.'

I don't know what else you're rambling about, but it's not anything that I previously posted.

Last edited:

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I wasn’t a CO but I was OIC of a detachment located a few states away from the parent command for a couple of years. I had about 150 Sailors and many needed treatment or hospitalization at various times. The Doc would talk to me about serious stuff but only the bare necessity and only for information. I never had or heard of a Doc or medical letting anyone but the Sailor and the Doc determining what treatment or when for any illness requiring treatment. Only only exception was for elective procedures that would require time off duty. And then it wasn’t how or which elective procedure but just when.

I was also the acting Weapons Department DH on a CVN for about 6 months with about 300 AOs. If you know anything about AOs, if you get hurt, they will. Same thing then wrt medical.

As the Admin Officer in a VP squadron, the Flight Doc technically reported to me (CO wanted this - someone keeping track of him Not normal set up at least back then.). As such, the CO had me gather all the facts and brief him from the Doc. If the Doc came to brief the CO in person, the CO always had me there. Same thing.

I’ve been retired for over 20 years but I can’t imagine this being different now.

Last edited: