• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

HSV 2 sunk by Iranian supplied ASCM

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Zippy, forgetting for a second that most military platforms don't have the same constraints as MPRA, made an assertion as to how a warship "should" operate. That's the root of this debate. You can't refute it. Secure from GQ, that is all.

I didn't forget...and PONCE isn't a warship ;).

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
image.png
Hey - it's a warship!

Seriously, I know you're fucking with me, but I also know there's some community mentality that's drilled into your head that you're a warfighter. That's awesome! But keep in mind that without HVAA-P and TTPs that keep you away from many threats; you have a very short life expectancy in a high-end, peer fight (not FONOPS or an air raid into a country with already degraded IADS). Zippy, forgetting for a second that most military platforms don't have the same constraints as MPRA, made an assertion as to how a warship "should" operate. That's the root of this debate. You can't refute it. Secure from GQ, that is all.
Thank god you finally saw the humor in my post.

So, A, the "Fucko" was in jest...I reread and saw how it could be seen as angry.

B, yes, if they actually shoot at me, it's the standard "run away" profile.

C, my assertion was that in the scenario that we find ourselves (FON by Yemen) staying is part of the mission. Just like SOH passage and overflight of China's newest airstrip in the SCS. We aren't always (ever) the enforcement piece, but we are there to keep driving through because we can.

Because nothing strikes fear into the hearts of our adversaries like the four fans of freedom driven by Pickle...

azguy

None
I'm a SWO, I find little humor in anything (generic smiley). And don't think I'm hating on your mighty warbird; a poke in the eye maybe, but not hate. SWOs - well probably everyone- want to see you all live long, healthy, per diem filled lives if we ever go to WAS again. And we're willing to accept risk ourselves to keep you up there, killing Red October and finding other bad guys.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
Looks like we've "responded."

From Pentagon statement:

"Earlier this evening (9 p.m. EDT / 4 a.m. local time in Yemen), the destroyer USS Nitze launched Tomahawk cruise missiles targeting three coastal radar sites in in Yemen along the Red Sea coast, north of the Bab-el-Mandeb strait. Initial assessments indicate that all three targets were destroyed.

"Destroying these radar sites will degrade their ability to track and target ships in the future. These radars were active during previous attacks and attempted attacks on ships in the Red Sea, including last week's attack on the USA-flagged vessel "Swift-2", and during attempted attacks on USS Mason and other ships as recently as today.

"The three radar sites were in remote areas, where there was little risk of civilian casualties or collateral damage. ...

"All of these are in Houthi-controlled territory
."

Last edited:

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Love it! You have a desk in the cockpit. No helmet. Sleeves rolled up. No gloves on. Meanwhile, I'm sweating my a-- off. Gloves, helmet, body armor, no AC. Missing the Navy right about now
Don't forget the George Foreman grill in the back, manned by the best SS-3 in the world.

Nothing says elite warfighter like a buffalo chicken panini...

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
It will be interesting to see if these "non-state actors" take a page from the AQ playbook and start targeting merchant traffic.

Independent of your points or the Tomahawk strike, it's probably also important to keep in mind that these aren't really the same kind of non-state actors. Given who they're backed by, this was probably more than Ahmed shooting at whatever happened to be driving by.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Independent of your points or the Tomahawk strike, it's probably also important to keep in mind that these aren't really the same kind of non-state actors. Given who they're backed by, this was probably more than Ahmed shooting at whatever happened to be driving by.

Indeed... These weapons are being fired by Iranian backed Proxies. Iran used ASCMs during the tanker wars in the 80s. It probably wouldn't be too much of a stretch for them to expand their targeting to specific civilian flagged shipping, depending on funding and fear of repercussions from the international community.