• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

HSV 2 sunk by Iranian supplied ASCM

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Shipmates, this thread keeps straying really close to speculation about current tactics and current operations. I don't want to lock it, because I find the whole topic of ASCM really interesting, but please remember that anyone with an internet connection can read this.

We can talk about Missouri, or Eilat, or the Falklands. We can talk about the situation in Yemen. But please, no more speculation about how Mason is doing, or what NAVCENT might do next. Loose lips, etc.

azguy

None
Third times the charm maybe...

Hopefully MASON has an infinite supply of Nulka, or someone gets smart and decides to move PONCE until someone works to neutralize the threat...

I want to address this while respecting Uncle Fester's request above.

Armed naval platforms don't necessarily alter their operations to cater to the threat. The USN has the capability to sail, fly, and operate in contested areas, even highly contested areas when necessary, in order to execute the nation's bidding.

I understand that's not how the VP world (and others) operate, and that's for good and obvious reasons. But the "smart" thing to do, as you put it, from a tactical, operational, and policy level, isn't to always run away from a fight.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor

Armed naval platforms don't necessarily alter their operations to cater to the threat. The USN has the capability to sail, fly, and operate in contested areas, even highly contested areas when necessary, in order to execute the nation's bidding.

I understand that's not how the VP world (and others) operate, and that's for good and obvious reasons. But the "smart" thing to do, as you put it, from a tactical, operational, and policy level, isn't to always run away from a fight.

Threat mitigation comes in many forms... not taking action to mitigate a threat is one of those "fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me" kind of things. Look where incidents in Gulf of Tonkin took us.

The great shield of AEGIS isn't infallible... just because we can operate in a contested area in theory doesn't mean we should operate in an area where our ships are being actively engaged by unchecked threats in practice.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Let's not talk about how theory relates to practice.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Moving on,

Open source info puts the range on the C-802 is quite substantial- certainly enough to reach out and touch many vessels In the area. It will be interesting to see what the affect on white shipping will be after these incidents.

After mixed success with attacked against warships (THE SULLIVANS And later COLE) using seaborne VBIEDs, AQ attacked M/V Limburg, which affected shipping in the area for some time. It will be interesting to see if these "non-state actors" take a page from the AQ playbook and start targeting merchant traffic.

Today marks the 16th anniversary of the COLE bombing and we're talking about an attack on a similar vessel on that anniversary. It will be interesting to see how the situation evolves, for sure.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/C-802

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maritime_Jewel

azguy

None
^ True, I don't pretend to know anything about the CIVMAR world, shipping insurance, or any of that, but we've had five anti-ship cruise missiles fired off in the same chokepoint in the last week; 1x ex-SWIFT; 4x MASON/PONCE over several engagements.

At what point does the commercial industry decide that the juice isn't worth the squeeze?

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor

Hey Fucko,
We operate the same as y'all. I've had plenty of shit pointed at my crew, and never changed my tactics/flying. Follow CG and ROE, get the job done.

Stay in your own lane.
Pickle

azguy

None
Hey Fucko,
We operate the same as y'all. I've had plenty of shit pointed at my crew, and never changed my tactics/flying. Follow CG and ROE, get the job done.

Stay in your own lane.
Pickle

Ah, the town drunk is here. I don't think you really mean what you wrote above. "Plenty of shit" pointed at you didn't change your tactics or flying? That's just stupid.

While I don't have a ton of VP exposure, I've worked with your community a fair amount on TTPs that concern both of our communities. What I say above is a clear difference I've noted. Don't get butthurt; if I operated a platform with no defenses, I would play it safe too and live to fight another day. I'll also note that the MPRA JOs I've worked with have all been very sharp - which must make you the great equalizer.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Ah, the town drunk is here. I don't think you really mean what you wrote above. "Plenty of shit" pointed at you didn't change your tactics or flying? That's just stupid.

While I don't have a ton of VP exposure, .
This is obvious...
Have you ever been in the SOH, NAG/CAG/SAG? SCS? Rigged any vessel from any military? Yes? Then you've had weapons pointed at you, been intercepted, or been painted by an SA site. If we changed our tactics every time someone from another country tracked us with a weapon system we'd never get any work done.

Don't confuse that with flying into Iraq on the opening days of OIF or any other shooting war... That is not what we are talking about here. When it comes to FON Ops, we are regularly involved.

I can't dive any deeper into it in this forum, but SWOtivated sleights at the VPenis aren't going to go unchallenged. Especially when they are erroneous.

Pickle

azguy

None
This is obvious...
Have you ever been in the SOH, NAG/CAG/SAG? SCS? Rigged any vessel from any military? Yes? Then you've had weapons pointed at you, been intercepted, or been painted by an SA site. If we changed our tactics every time someone from another country tracked us with a weapon system we'd never get any work done.

Don't confuse that with flying into Iraq on the opening days of OIF or any other shooting war... That is not what we are talking about here. When it comes to FON Ops, we are regularly involved.

I can't dive any deeper into it in this forum, but SWOtivated sleights at the VPenis aren't going to go unchallenged. Especially when they are erroneous.

Pickle

This post is ridiculous. FONOPS? We're talking about operating in a contested environment dude, as an armed force. You fly a P-3!

azguy

None
You drive a ship!

Hey - it's a warship!

Seriously, I know you're fucking with me, but I also know there's some community mentality that's drilled into your head that you're a warfighter. That's awesome! But keep in mind that without HVAA-P and TTPs that keep you away from many threats; you have a very short life expectancy in a high-end, peer fight (not FONOPS or an air raid into a country with already degraded IADS). Zippy, forgetting for a second that most military platforms don't have the same constraints as MPRA, made an assertion as to how a warship "should" operate. That's the root of this debate. You can't refute it. Secure from GQ, that is all.

Pags

N/A
pilot
This is obvious...

Pickle
There's a difference between having someone track you and having birds come off the rail at you.