• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

HSV 2 sunk by Iranian supplied ASCM

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Great job by my bros on the MASON. You don't have much time to react when a missile pops up on the horizon. These guys executed flawlessly.

Yeah, this is a big deal. I don't know when the last time an ASCM was launched at a USN ship...tanker wars maybe?

First Gulf War- Iraqi Silkworm vs MISSOURI vs Sea Dart is the first example of a hard kill only missile to missile kill... the Silkworm had actually flown past the MISSOURI when the Sea Dart hit it IIRC.

If MASON engaged a C802 with an ESSM, it got pretty close. Way too close for comfort.

Good job by the crew...

jmcquate

Contributor
Shit. the threat used to be Badgers, Bears, and Blackjacks, with air launched vampires. So some third world fucks are lobbing missiles at us?

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
When the tanker wars kicked off, there was some analysis done of C-801/2s vs Iowa-class. I think it was assessed as something like 12+ Silkworm hits before the BB was a mission kill.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Not be the wet blanket--I don't have any inside intel on this and I wouldn't share it here if I did---but let's not automatically assume all of the hardware worked as advertised. (Both our hardware and theirs.). OK, maybe I am being a wet blanket.

Either way, I'll take lucky or I'll take good and I'll like it. And either way, BZ to Mason.

danpass

This is the key takeaway. Training, tactics, and mindset matter. Technology isn't everything; just as a second-world army shot down one of our most advanced fighter jets (F-117) with an SA-3, a C-802 can easily take out an AEGIS ship if the crew doesn't have their shit together.
So does the ROE.

Based on my reading in

Inside the Danger Zone: The U.S. Military in the Persian Gulf, 1987-1988 Hardcover – May 8, 2007
by Harold Lee Wise

the ROE, specifically the murkiness it itself created, was the prime contributor to the Stark's misfortune.

This PDF says otherwise
http://www.judge.navy.mi.th/PDF/KM/6 ROE Case Studies[1].pdf

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Oh no, I meant the Houthis are learning. Yeah, Mason and crew are doing juuuust fine.

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
So many NAMs coming to that boat...

PO2 Schmuckatelli diligently and correctly performed the procedure we had drilled 50 times in the past 10 months, and in so doing reflected great credit upon himself and upheld the highest standards of the Naval Service.

Edit: no more OSs!

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
So does the ROE.

Based on my reading in

Inside the Danger Zone: The U.S. Military in the Persian Gulf, 1987-1988 Hardcover – May 8, 2007
by Harold Lee Wise

the ROE, specifically the murkiness it itself created, was the prime contributor to the Stark's misfortune.

This PDF says otherwise
http://www.judge.navy.mi.th/PDF/KM/6 ROE Case Studies[1].pdf

Regarding the ROE with the STARK, everything prior to is great to argue but, as soon as the SLQ 32 operator detected the inbound missile, the right to self defense took all ambiguity out of the situation.

TAO failed at their job, which was to defend the ship.