• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

HSV 2 sunk by Iranian supplied ASCM

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The ship was not hit. The CDCM batteries were hit in retaliation, per open source reporting. What are we arguing about again? Millennial TAOs?
Who is arguing? I posted that for info and any erudite comments. Oh well....

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Or, to GTFO. None of this helps the ceasefire we want to see in Iran and Saudi Arabia's proxy war. (Yes I realize X trillion in global shipping goes through that straight.)

The latter part of your post is the main reason we can't do the former. Patrolling the waterways in order to facilitate international navigation and commerce...been part of the Navy's mission for 200 years.

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
@Catmando
http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/15/politics/uss-mason-fired-on-again/

Based on the blog link, I'm assuming the author is referring to the "unconfirmed reports of small spotter boats." I'm not sure how the SWO bubbas tackle this, but shooting what is most likely just a fishing vessel is probably a non-starter due to ROE, absent some highly accurate tipper it's that specific fishing boat.

DesertRooster

The King of Nothing
Or, to GTFO. None of this helps the ceasefire we want to see in Iran and Saudi Arabia's proxy war. (Yes I realize X trillion in global shipping goes through that straight.)
I do agree that GTFO is definitely the best option but it seems like it's our job to protect global shipping lanes

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You fellas keep saying "GTFO," but the fuck out of where? Yemen? We're not in Yemen. The Red Sea/BAM/GoA? How would it possibly be in our best interest to cede control of one of the world's most strategically important waterways to a bunch of rebels tossing 60+y/o cruise missiles? Rebels who, as it's been pointed out, are Iranian clients, so we'd also be handing the Iranians another leverage tool against the rest of the world.

Sailing in harm's way is part of what we signed up for. And keeping the SLOCs open is most definitely in our national interest.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-us-arms-deals-yemen-war-crimes-a7355771.html

Maybe not boots, but definitely bombs. The Houthis probably feel the same way about the US-made bombs landing on them (that the Saudi's of course, are so discriminate in their use of) that we're feeling about the ASCM's fired at the MASON.

The Saudis and Emiratis decided to intervene in Yemen, not us. How do you propose we get the Saudis out? Beyond what we're already doing, which is lean on them diplomatically.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator

From a strategic perspctive, why would we want peace? Sell weapons to both sides, turn a profit. Force those countries to forsake spending elsewhere and must spend against each other. Increase the amount of oil on the market, drive down the price and degrade the Russian economy too.

Pags

N/A
pilot
From a strategic perspctive, why would we want peace? Sell weapons to both sides, turn a profit. Force those countries to forsake spending elsewhere and must spend against each other. Increase the amount of oil on the market, drive down the price and degrade the Russian economy too.
We'd want peace because having random folks lobbing ASCMs at white shipping isn't good for business.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

Ironically enough, Yemen and the oil market is actually hurting us in our ability to sell systems to our friend the King. That and our bizarre FMS system.