• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How long are you waiting to class up for API?

TAMR

is MIDNIGHT
pilot
None
I was just told May at muster yesterday... I am an NFO not needing IFS. They selected 15 for the class they announced this morning. Pool still closed.

jtmedli

pilot
I was just told May at muster yesterday... I am an NFO not needing IFS. They selected 15 for the class they announced this morning. Pool still closed.

For God's sakes, get a hobby, a slam piece, a spot on the beach, and get trashed. You're welcome. I envy you.

TAMR

is MIDNIGHT
pilot
None
For God's sakes, get a hobby, a slam piece, a spot on the beach, and get trashed. You're welcome. I envy you.

I typed that as I was enjoyed an ice cold beer on my Perdido beachfront balcony chilling in the sun; trust me, I'm enjoying myself.

API swim is not a pre-req for IFS. It was for a while for some reason but isn't anymore.

JollyGood

Flashing Dome
pilot
Pool back open in P-cola. Class sizes will be going up to around 30ish, but still around 150+ people waiting to class up. Add that to the Marines and Flight Docs that still have to be classes up as well and there is a lot of sitting around. 3 months is the latest scuttlebutt

MiddieQ

pilot
Pool back open in P-cola. Class sizes will be going up to around 30ish, but still around 150+ people waiting to class up. Add that to the Marines and Flight Docs that still have to be classes up as well and there is a lot of sitting around. 3 months is the latest scuttlebutt

What does this mean for those going to graduate in April/May? Any idea how long the wait should be before we're supposed to report down there?

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
What does this mean for those going to graduate in April/May? Any idea how long the wait should be before we're supposed to report down there?

I showed up in April '08 (so it is possible things have changed), but I waited 2 weeks prior to classing up. I didn't do IFS, so that helped, but in general, the pool was quite small, and at the time, SNA's had the priority as well. The standard advice ("drink beer, chase girls, spend your life at the beach") is sound, but I, like many of you, just wanted to get started so I get it. But in hindsight, I should have endeavored to spend more time in A-pool. Just sayin

Aspro23

In the Marine Pool, scheduled to start IFS on Tues (got here 17 Dec). Monday night we got the word,"IFS is cancelled until further notice." That's all that has been passed since. Any word from the other side of the house?

As much as I am looking forward to progressing, I am definitely not rushing the PT/formation in the morning schedule and having the boat in the water by 0900. Just curious. Figuring it is a funding problem.

JollyGood

Flashing Dome
pilot
In the Marine Pool, scheduled to start IFS on Tues (got here 17 Dec). Monday night we got the word,"IFS is cancelled until further notice." That's all that has been passed since. Any word from the other side of the house?

As much as I am looking forward to progressing, I am definitely not rushing the PT/formation in the morning schedule and having the boat in the water by 0900. Just curious. Figuring it is a funding problem.

For those not needing IFS, all in A-pool currently should be classed up for API by the second week of April. I got here January 10th. However, I still need IFS and it is the same story on this side of the house. IFS is cancelled right now due to funding issues. From the updates, it seems to going week by week. However, rumors around here are saying that IFS could be waived for those needing it and then class them up for API shortly thereafter.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Imagine that......no IFS......if only there had been a time when SNAs completed flight school without IFS.......then maybe we would know that it is possible........wait, that couldn't have happened :)

JTW

A Flying Sea-WO
pilot
Oh come on now, IFS totally helped me to learn how to fly military helicopters... Out of 16 or so of us one didn't finish IFS and one DOR'd after IFS. So I guess it may help to weed out a few. But primary does a good enough job of that. Just because one finishes IFS does not mean they will be successful in the Texan. So is it really worth the money?

Yardstick

Is The Bottle Ready?!
pilot
Never heard of IFS (or API) in my era, went from Pre-Flight grad straight to Primary fam. What are they... some kind of pre-primary flight filter? :confused:
BzB

API is probably equivalent to your Preflight. 6 weeks of academics, swimming, physiology and survival classes. IFS is 13 hours (used to be 25) of flight instruction at a civilian FBO in the pcola area for those with no prior civilian time. Supposed to be a sort of weeding out process for those who absolutely cannot adapt to aviation ie getting airsick, not taking the program seriously, etc... It's supposed to save the navy/marine corps some money by attriting those people before they get to primary