• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Highwater FITREP Burden

Hair Warrior

Contributor
What's stopping someone from choosing No and then telling Amazon they joined the reserves after coming on board?
If it’s a lie? Fraud, for starters.

Look, companies need to hire people. Those cookie cutter forms are mostly for the HR screen, not the team; most hiring managers base their decisions on the last interview round. If you are really bent out of shape about it, apply elsewhere or call your attorney and fight for the right to work at a company that you’re already miffed at before you even join. Also, you can always write to Congress to get a new law passed preventing companies’ asking for reserve/guard status on application forms.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
And guess who I work for as a civilian. The U.S. Navy. Every single civilian supervisor I've had so far in my GS career hated that I was a reservist. One even told me they wouldn't hire a reservist the next time. And I'm not some low level employee. I'm considered a senior civilian in my career and still get shit for it.

It’s a major problem in the GS sector and prob more then private.

GS can’t exactly just hire anyone to backfill without all sorts of HR backing. So a reservist leaving either leaves a gap or they got to hire a temp or term civilian.

I know that I have worked in a relatively narrow slice of the federal government but know quite a few of my fellow reservists that have worked across many parts of the government and at all levels (to include quite a few in the Navy) and government contracting and very few of them have issues being a reservist, either while getting hired or while they are working in their jobs. There have been a few instances where folks have had issues but they were almost all individual issues and not office or agency-wide.

So while you all may have had some issues they are in my experience, both first and second-hand, relatively rare exceptions and nowhere near the rule. That said several USERRA folks I have talked to said the federal government was the worst offender they dealt though it was also by far the largest one they dealt with too. They also mentioned that 99% of the cases were resolved in 1 to 2 phone calls.

My and most of my peers experience has been more similar to Griz's, where any action or even non-sarcastic disparaging of reservists will get you in hot water pretty fast.

There’s a few positions that are exempt and you’re not allowed to hold reserve membership in. And if you’re in those positions you’re supposed to move to USNR S1 status because you’re mob could be detrimental to public safety or national security.

Often times individuals keep drilling and if mobilized they’ll get letters from their employers saying they can’t be mobilized and CNR will cancel their mob.

The Navy Reserve is then supposed to start processing your discharge or transfer to the IRR, I've seen specific explicit instructions the last few years about this and while a few may get still get away with it Navy Reserve policy is not to have those folks as SELRES. I know this in part because one of my bosses tried to do this with for my first MOB but his boss nixed that bright idea before it got very far. Lets be frank, I ain't that important.

Last edited:

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
#SideBar.... Why in gods name would you want to work for Amazon? ? The place is a toxic waste dump.
Any company that big is going to have teams that rock, teams that suck, and teams that are in-between. Now if you want to talk about how stack-ranking people is stupid and psychopathic, that's different.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
And are these positions paying 120-150k a year?

Lots of jobs equal to or above that salary range that happily hire reservists. Some of them way more. Not sure why you keep mentioning that very particular pay range......mid level salaried employees across America make that all day, every day.

Last edited:

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Part of this is, possibly, the Navy’s extremely high expectations and low selection rates for reserve JAG accessions. You basically need to be a prior active duty JAG, is what I’m told.

It's a requirement now, if not on paper then in practice. A long time ago the SELRES used to take a few direct accessions but they had issues with them getting up to speed on the military side of law just in the reserves and it wasn't worth the trouble, especially as they get enough active duty JAG's who transition to the reserves. Source, we had a reserve JAG at my last command.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
I helped an 1835 friend (attorney during the day) go to the Air Force Reserve as a JAG (inter-service transfer). They were happy to take him. He's happy as a clam.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
I helped an 1835 friend (attorney during the day) go to the Air Force Reserve as a JAG (inter-service transfer). They were happy to take him. He's happy as a clam.
The 1835 community is full of lawyers (the majority of whom were lawyers before they joined). Some can make the transition to being an intelligence professional; others struggle. Obviously a reserve two-star 1865 (former 1835) is a lawyer, so that ceiling has been broken.

nodropinufaka

Lots of jobs equal to or above that salary range that happily hire reservists. Some of them way more. Not sure why you keep mentioning that very particular pay range......mid level salaried employees across America make that all day, every day.
Ya of course they do. It isn’t exactly a super high salary. My point is their competitive so why give them any more information then what is asked