• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Gouge for Selectees of FY22 IWC DCO Reserve Board

bobsmith456

DCO Selectee
Squirrel Girl and I chatted offline about this but her circumstances don't really apply in my case so I wanted to ask the rest of y'all.

For those of you who commissioned remotely, what did you do about the pinning of the bars/silver dollar/selectee's remarks/wetting down? My guess is that I just eliminate all of those things, which is a bit of a shame.

I thought I had read in one of the threads here that people were doing a mock "pinning of the bars" ceremony at ODS graduation even pre-COVID.

Hey, so they don't do mock pinning at ODS. If you are doing yours remotely that is cool any Officer can give you your oath. Have your family and friends around so when they finish the oath they can pin your bars on. After that you would just need an enlisted member to provide you with your first salute (This could be done via VTC) and give them the coin. Afterward invite your family to come party on your dime (wetting down).

number9

Contributor
Hey, so they don't do mock pinning at ODS. If you are doing yours remotely that is cool any Officer can give you your oath. Have your family and friends around so when they finish the oath they can pin your bars on. After that you would just need an enlisted member to provide you with your first salute (This could be done via VTC) and give them the coin. Afterward invite your family to come party on your dime (wetting down).
I commissioned via Zoom on Monday morning: I did the whole thing remotely. I opted to mention the "pinning of the bars" and the wetting-down ceremonies, but said that I'd wait for ODS for both. I didn't mention the first salute at all. Because it was all on Zoom I was able to invite some people who wouldn't be able to come to the actual ODS graduation, so it was important to me that they know some of the ceremonies/traditions that we'd have if it wasn't for COVID.

I'll try my best at ODS to get some kind of analog of all these traditions if at all possible!

cecseabee

When are we allowed to wear the national defense ribbon? My recruiter said I’ll be issued it. Other new officers I’ve spoken to said it’s a freebie you get upon commissioning and no one will inform you formally.

jzz001

For those of you in the Washington DC metro area, we're in the early stages of planning a happy hour / networking event for new selectees to get to know each other a bit better. We've also invited a CAPT from the DC NIFR who might be able to join us. If you're interested, please feel free to reach out to me and I can send you further details! Should be a lot of fun!

No, there are still seats open for FY 22.

Here's the schedule for FY 23
Any way you could repost this image? For some reason, it is not loading for me. Wanted to see what class dates were available in the FY23.

Separately, do we get any sort of BAH while at ODS? I looked around online and got confused by varying types of BAH for active and reserves. I don't have any dependents but would have to continue paying rent. Thanks in advance.

jrh0425

Any way you could repost this image? For some reason, it is not loading for me. Wanted to see what class dates were available in the FY23.

Separately, do we get any sort of BAH while at ODS? I looked around online and got confused by varying types of BAH for active and reserves. I don't have any dependents but would have to continue paying rent. Thanks in advance.
ODS.jpg

My orders list both BAH and BAS.

number9

Contributor
Oh wow, no class in November or December. Makes sense with Thanksgiving/Christmas holidays, but good to know regardless!

TheClyde

14. I am single. Will I receive BAH without dependents while I am stationed at ODS? If you are a new accession, because you live in the barracks you receive partial BAH, which is between $13.00 and $25.00 a month, depending on your rank. If you were prior enlisted with no break in service, you will continue to draw BAH at the rate you were receiving at your last duty station. BAH for your ultimate duty station will begin when you report there.

cecseabee

14. I am single. Will I receive BAH without dependents while I am stationed at ODS? If you are a new accession, because you live in the barracks you receive partial BAH, which is between $13.00 and $25.00 a month, depending on your rank. If you were prior enlisted with no break in service, you will continue to draw BAH at the rate you were receiving at your last duty station. BAH for your ultimate duty station will begin when you report there.
What about the rent we have to pay for our civilian housing still while we are on orders or at ODS.

number9

Contributor
During the application process I was told that, for DCO applicants, ODS counts as AT in your first year. I reported to my unit today, and was enrolled in the October ODS class. I was told that, because ODS starts in the next Fiscal Year, I need to do AT before that in order to have a "good year".

Has this happened to anyone before? Trying to do an AT between now and October will be very difficult for me, and trying to go to an ODS class that starts earlier than October will be even more difficult given that I had long planned (with my unit's okay) family & work stuff on not going until October.