• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Gouge for Selectees of FY22 IWC DCO Reserve Board

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Didn't join for the money at all.
I read as a government employee there is differential pay, but the explanation on OPM is a little confusing in certain sections. Hoping someone here on this awesome forum has some experience in this area.
What part is confusing?

Also, GS/GG civs are ineligible for Tricare Reserve Select.

Squirrel Girl

I wasn't asking about healthcare - that's a non-issue.
The question is whether or not ODS is considered a "call to active duty" for the purposes of receiving differential pay as there is a pay difference where my GS job is greater than what I would be receiving as an O-1.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
The question is whether or not ODS is considered a "call to active duty" for the purposes of receiving differential pay as there is a pay difference where my GS job is greater than what I would be receiving as an O-1.
ODS is ADT.

fy18dco

Every agency is different with respect to reserve differential but at mine (also a GS), you absolutely do not get differential pay for ODS, Phase 1, Phase 2, etc. It's almost exclusively for ADOS or mobilizations over a certain duration.

If you're in the DC area, your take home per pay check as an O-1 may be higher than your civilian salary with BAH (~$2500) taken into account.

Hail_HYDRA!

One more question...
Every agency is different with respect to reserve differential but at mine (also a GS), you absolutely do not get differential pay for ODS, Phase 1, Phase 2, etc. It's almost exclusively for ADOS or mobilizations over a certain duration.

If you're in the DC area, your take home per pay check as an O-1 may be higher than your civilian salary with BAH (~$2500) taken into account.
Given how extreme the requirements have been for DCO candidates to get selected over the past let’s say five years, it’s extremely not likely their O-1 will be higher. I always ensure to be in a “use or lose situation” when I go on AT or RESKEDS. This way, I’m always double-dipping and folks are happy that I’m not trying to take the month of December off.

Hail_HYDRA!

One more question...
Y
As a govie, we receive 120 hours of military leave per fiscal year with up to 120 hours to carryover. Just either use that three weeks of military leave with two weeks of vacation time to cover the whole five weeks to maximize your take home pay (double-dip) or delay ODS to the next fiscal year where you’ll have 240 hours (six weeks of leave) and put the whole five weeks on your military leave. Best situation if you don’t want to use your leave would be if two of the five weeks could fall during this fiscal year and the remaining time in the next fiscal year to meet your AT requirements for both FY22 and FY23. Just play the game, skillfully pimp the system, and always fact-check any gouge you receive from anyone and you’ll be just fine.

Welcome aboard!

number9

Contributor
Can I commission with an interim security clearance, or do I need to wait for the full clearance to be adjudicated? My clearance is in the middle stages (I had the interviews last week) and the investigating officer thinks that the full clearance may not be "done" until the summer.

Will I receive an interim clearance so that I can commission before then, or do I need to wait until it's completely done?

Hail_HYDRA!

One more question...
BLUF: You don’t need a clearance to commission.

You’ll be fine without it all things considered that you don’t have some crazy as hell skeletons in your closet to raise concern of which if you’re a halfway decent human, I wouldn’t even sweat that part. Just enjoy the ride.
Can I commission with an interim security clearance, or do I need to wait for the full clearance to be adjudicated? My clearance is in the middle stages (I had the interviews last week) and the investigating officer thinks that the full clearance may not be "done" until the summer.

Will I receive an interim clearance so that I can commission before then, or do I need to wait until it's completely done?

number9

Contributor
BLUF: You don’t need a clearance to commission.

You’ll be fine without it all things considered that you don’t have some crazy as hell skeletons in your closet to raise concern of which if you’re a halfway decent human, I wouldn’t even sweat that part. Just enjoy the ride.
Thank you! I am a dual citizen of a very friendly country and have said I'm willing to renounce citizenship & surrender my passport if required. No criminal record, no drug use etc. so I'm not worried about that aspect of it.

Hail_HYDRA!

One more question...
Thank you! I am a dual citizen of a very friendly country and have said I'm willing to renounce citizenship & surrender my passport if required. No criminal record, no drug use etc. so I'm not worried about that aspect of it.
Glad to be of assistance!

Just do what’s best for you long-term (e.g., some countries have great free college education programs like Germany I think.) If you want to fully utilize those benefits or whatever, go do it. Exploit it if you want. The Reserves will outlive all of us. You have time.

Hail_HYDRA!

One more question...
Glad to be of assistance!

Just do what’s best for you long-term (e.g., some countries have great free college education programs like Germany I think.) If you want to fully utilize those benefits or whatever, go do it. Exploit it if you want. The Reserves will outlive all of us. You have time.
After reviewing your profile, I take that back, you don’t have much time. But you already know this. Well, look forward to you receiving good news on your direct commission!

NewGuy850

Thanks for all of this excellent info!

I have a follow-up question(s) for those who will entertain it:

I am an incoming 1835 this year and will likely be based out of NCR (Washington, DC) due to my prospective new day job.

My question is around expectations with respect to personal travel / commitments beyond what is listed here (ODS, AT, etc.)

My partner is a foreign national in a friendly (Latin American) country - and I expect (hope?) that with the continued possibility of a remote working world, I am able to continue spending chunks of time abroad with family and friends in Latin America (weddings, holidays, etc.) - for weeks, or maybe even a month or two at a time, as work and the Reserves allow.

My specific question is, especially in years 1-3, how difficult is it to be out of the country somewhat regularly for work and personal travel, (again, not talking going to Russia, China, etc.), assuming one makes all requisite commitments? Is it just filling out a security notification form a bit in advance, or is it a total pain/hindrance?

Also - maybe a long shot I know - but are the quarterly drilling units (which of course would provide much more flexibility from a travel perspective - aka, needing to be physically present monthly), hard to come by in years 1-3?

Finally - if there are extenuating circumstances (eg: family wedding, etc.) - are drill weekends in these first years occasionally acceptable to be rescheduled / made up at other times for good reason?

I know I’m at risk of sounding naive or wanting to have a glamorous, gallivanting travel life -- but honestly, it’s more just trying to gauge expectations for family, especially with having a partner from abroad who keeps asking how much time she’ll get with family, etc. etc.

Thanks in advance!!

number9

Contributor
Is there any truth to the scuttlebutt that all ODS classes are full until October? Must we attend ODS within 365 days of commissioning, or within the same CY, or within the same FY? The Letter of Understanding from my recruiter just says "Within one year of commissioning", which would make it challenging to attend before the end of the FY.