• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Gouge for Selectees of FY22 IWC DCO Reserve Board

jzz001

Just a quick question. As a newly selected DCO who hasn’t even commissioned yet, how long do you think we‘ll have before we will have to take our first formal PRT? I know that we’ll have a mock PRT at ODS, but when do you think we’ll have to take a real one? Is it safe to assume that, starting from now, we’ll have at least a year before that happens?

number9

Contributor
Just a quick question. As a newly selected DCO who hasn’t even commissioned yet, how long do you think we‘ll have before we will have to take our first formal PRT? I know that we’ll have a mock PRT at ODS, but when do you think we’ll have to take a real one? Is it safe to assume that, starting from now, we’ll have at least a year before that happens?
Per this Officer Training Command page there's a PRT at ODS and it sounds like we need to pass it:

OTC said:
Students should be prepared to take a Navy PRT upon arrival at ODS. A grade of at least Probationary; in all events of a single PRT is required to graduate ODS. Physical Training will include up to five days of strength and conditioning exercises to include, pushups, sit-ups, and various other exercises as well as sprints and sustained runs. It is highly recommended that you begin a physical training regimen before reporting to ODS. Please consult the Navy Physical Readiness Page and the Navy Operational Fitness and Fueling Series to help prepare you better for ODS. On these websites you can find information in regards to improving your overall physical fitness and dietary recommendations. Due to the structure of ODS, the run is the only cardio event option available for the PRT.
Bolding mine. I think you also need to show up within height/weight regs or you'll be sent home.

Last edited:

jzz001

Ok incredible! Good to know that it will happen at ODS. I can meet the standards now without any problems but will need to continue training. Thanks again for the info!

Hair Warrior

Contributor
You should have a mindset of being prepared to pass a PRT without notice every day you’re in uniform. The minimums are not hard to reach. The most senior ranking member of my DCOIC class (a LCDR doctor) got sent home on day 1 for failing the BCA. Start working at it now. Push ups, planks, and 1.5 mile run.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
You better be in BCA standards at ODS on Day 1 or they will send you home. Period. For the PFA, you will not have access to alternative cardio options. Run Only. If you fail the PFA, you'll get sent home as well. Period. If you get sent home from ODS for failing either the BCA or PFA you will be the laughing stock of your Reserve unit and NOSC. If you are a NAVIFOR officer (1815, 1825, 1835, etc.), this will extend at the regional level.

Be able to pass it because there is a line a mile long of people ready to take your place. It ain't that hard.

Last edited:

fy18dco

You better be in BCA standards at ODS on Day 1 or they will send you home. Period. For the PFA, you will not have access to alternative cardio options. Run Only. If you fail the PFA, you'll get sent home as well. Period. If you get sent home from ODS for failing either the BCA or PFA you will be the laughing stock of your Reserve unit and NOSC. If you are a NAVIFOR officer (1815, 1825, 1835, etc.), this will extend at the regional level.

Be able to pass it because there is a line a mile long of people ready to take your place. It ain't that hard.

Absolute truth right here. We had 3 fail weigh in at ODS and they were immediately sent home.

You take two PRTs at ODS. The first is to get a sense of your fitness (if you fail, you're on FEP). The second is an official PRT which will go into your PRIMS record.

jzz001

Thanks so much, everyone! I’m not worried about meeting the minimum PRT standards, but, as indicated, I‘m going to be working out so I can consistently score at least a good low on all the events. This is extremely interesting information (as is the fact that there were several DCOs who failed BCA or the PRT). Makes me curious what those folks were doing, especially since there is plenty of time to prepare before ODS…

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Aim a lot higher than that. You’re 28 and a half marathoner. You should be able to hit 51 push ups, 2:20 plank, and an 8:00 mile pace in your sleep (Good Med). Start doing 100 total push ups and three 1:00 planks a day, spread out however you want. Twice a week go to a HS track, sprint 1 lap (400m) in under 2:00, rest 2:00 min, then repeat 7 more times hitting that 2:00 lap pace each time. That’s it. It’s not magic, it doesn’t cost money, it’s just putting in the reps.

Last edited:

jzz001

Thank you sir. i can get up to an excellent low on my run. However, I‘m much weaker in upper body strength - I’m that type of runner. I’m good to go with the planks at a good low, but I’m still having trouble with my push-ups. Do you think 100 push-ups a day would be an appropriate way to train? Thanks again for your advice and support.

fy18dco

Absolutely, pushups are one of the easier things to improve on. 100 pushups a day split into however you can do them right now (15 at a time, 25, etc.) every day will get you there. I would start by maxing out pushups first thing in the morning and then toss in a few when you can. You'll be amazed how quickly you'll improve.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Thank you sir. i can get up to an excellent low on my run. However, I‘m much weaker in upper body strength - I’m that type of runner. I’m good to go with the planks at a good low, but I’m still having trouble with my push-ups. Do you think 100 push-ups a day would be an appropriate way to train? Thanks again for your advice and support.
You are an ENS (Sel); I trust you to figure it out.

Squirrel Girl

Quick question... I was picked up as an O-1, but I am also a GG/GS civilian.
Under what circumstances will my drill pay match my higher government pay?
Will I be paid at the higher rate for ODS? What about NIOBC/RNIOBC?

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Quick question... I was picked up as an O-1, but I am also a GG/GS civilian.
Under what circumstances will my drill pay match my higher government pay?
Will I be paid at the higher rate for ODS? What about NIOBC/RNIOBC?
Your Navy pay is based on your Navy pay. If your civilian job offers pay differential, that would be spelled out in their military leave policy. The private sector jobs are usually (but not always) better than the government jobs in this respect. Most people don’t join the Navy Reserve as a newly commissioned officer for the money.

Squirrel Girl

Your Navy pay is based on your Navy pay. If your civilian job offers pay differential, that would be spelled out in their military leave policy. The private sector jobs are usually (but not always) better than the government jobs in this respect. Most people don’t join the Navy Reserve as a newly commissioned officer for the money.
Didn't join for the money at all.
I read as a government employee there is differential pay, but the explanation on OPM is a little confusing in certain sections. Hoping someone here on this awesome forum has some experience in this area.