• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Good Luck 184 applicants (Revised Title)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crowbar

None
Wow, how did this get so out of whack?

Franny-you're right. If I remember what I said, I went out of my way to clarify that I didn't take issue with anything you said. I even defended you at some point.

Tax-yes, "counsel" is typically something done formally and in private. Of course, if you see some schmo walking around in uniform with one hand in his pocket and the other holding a cell phone to his ear while walking, talking, smoking, and chewing gum at the same time, "Hey, dip****! Un**** yourself!" would be considered an "on-the-spot counseling". Tactless, yes, but probably effective in that situation. But typically when people think of counselings, it deals with one-on-one evaluations of performance and/or attitude. Such as when you get counseled on your fitreps. Or for when you get to the fleet, when your NCO's counsel the junior Marines on their Pro/Con marks. Unlike OCS where (at least for us), unfavorable chits were read to everybody in the squad bay, counselings typically take place somewhere private, and unlike OCS, often the "offender" is given a chance to say his/her piece (at least when I counsel somebody they are given that opportunity).

For all of you who have done this-please stop using my name in vain!!! (Inside I'm laughing but at the same time I'm dead serious.) Thanks.

Crowbar

None
CandKy-
Nobody except the board can predict who will win and who will lose on each board. I have seen entirely too many boards (Enlisted promotion, Warrant Officer, MECEP, etc) come out and shock everybody. I have even sat on enlisted meritorious promotion boards, where when it was over, we (the board members) would look at each other and say "Wow. Who won? I would have never expected LCpl (Last Name) to take the board." There are too many variables in the selection process to make any accurate predictions. The enlisted career counselors and HQMC told me I would not get into a commissioning program. MCRC (think they might know a little something about this whole issue?) told me that I would not get into MECEP. Well, two months later they ate those words. So when the duty experts try to make a prediction and come up wrong, that should tell you-there is no consistency year to year and board to board. Just because you have the minimums doesn't guarantee you will not get selected.

As far as waltzing through OCS because they are prepared, some people are just naturally good at everything. Others (like me) aren't. If we don't struggle and fight and kick and claw our way through everything in life we just won't make it.

Regarding "what is going to happen when you're actually (literally) under the gun?", Marines are trained to handle things like that. What do you think infantry officers learn at IOC? What do you think pilots learn about at the FRS? How to handle combat situations and emergencies. That continues in the fleet. They train so religiously that when things go to crap, they can do what needs to be done without even blinking. There is no amount of training that can be done to prepare for waiting for a selection board to release the results.

Now on to this, "Hard work and preparation are necessary, stressing and fretting and whining are signs that you don't have what it takes." I'm sure everybody here has prepared as much as possible. It's natural to be a little worried when things are completely out of your control. I don't like whining any more than the next guy. But anytime anybody (Marine, Navy, civilian, friend, family) comes to me and is nervous about something and wants to rant and rave to me for a few minutes, I let them. Call me weird, but I don't see the harm in it, especially if it makes them feel a little better.

reapergm

candkyman - yo, arrogance and cockiness. That might be your way of getting through OCS. But seriously, not in my own defense, but all those who that was directed towards... who the hell are you? How can you judge how someone is going to be at OCS or as a Marine by statements on a forum? How can you compare this forum to how someone will be "under the gun" in combat? Thats crazy and dead wrong. You have to remember that the people on these posts worried ARE NOT MARINES YET!!! They are civilians. The worried mentality right now will probably lead to sheer determination in OCS. While your confidence, as well as some others, might be a total shock if you get in and OCS whips your @ss. I dont think people are posting their worries are being 100% literal. So what if they say they're worried. What if someone did really well in school and can SCHOOL you in a PFT but hits the age limit and needs a waiver? So they become alittle nervous on the app process. They are weak? They cant be good leaders? If you can make bold statements like you have, you dont have the maturity to keep and open mind or keep your mouth shut. I dont think someone like that can make a good leader. As a leader you need to earn respect. You're doing a great job buddy! Have you ever held a leadership position? Have you ever wanted a job that you werent sure you were going to get, not because you werent good enough, but because you were NOT the only one who is competitive? I dont think that its the "best of the best" attitude. I think the board looks at the whole person. This discussion and peoples opinions have gotten WAYYYY out of hand. If you like making people angry, keep talking. If you want to say your peace.. try and wait until you're accepted and you can back up what you say.

Corky

I agree with CandKyMarine and Franny on this one - the stress should have come during the preparation of one's package, not after you drop it in the mailbox. It started for me when I chose a difficult and demanding major, mathematics, which I felt would not only help me get a good look from an officer selection board, but would also give me something to fall back on in case things didn't work out with the Navy (can't put all your eggs in one basket, people). On top of that, I made sure my non-mathematics course load was just as intense by taking lots of physics, chemistry, and economics courses. While immersed in a rigorous curriculum, I also found time to study for my officer tests and get myself in the best shape possible in order to max out the PRT. As you can see, I "stressed" during the preparation and was able to produce an attractive major and GPA at a very good school, max out my PRT, and score high on the officer tests (in the days before the internet, i.e. no gouge) for the selection board. After I sent my package in, do you think I sat on my hands, chewed my fingernails, and pulled my hair out while waiting for the results to come in? No, I spent my last semester finding a job just in case I wasn't found to be officer material. Yes, I wanted to be a Naval Officer in the worst way but I knew that there were other careers in which my talents would be put to good use. It beat sitting around watching Discovery Wings Channel or JAG all day or telling anyone who would listen about how "I've never wanted anything more in my life." That just sounds pathetic.
I think one of the points CandKyMarine and Frannie were trying to make is that getting accepted will not be the biggest obstacle you have to overcome in the Marine Corps. Yes, you have to get in first in order to face the other obstacles, but if you "stressed" the package preparation, you need not stress over the board. You make your bed you lie in it, as they say. And if you stress this much over the selection board, what's going to happen at OCS? Are you going to stress over every test, inspection, and drill? Better be prepared to be one big ball of stress then. How about after commissioning? TBS? Flight school? The fleet? Better have an iron stomach.
In my opinion, I would rather have a senior officer who seems untouchable, infallible, and an emotional rock than not. Why? Because I want to look up to them, that's why. I want to strive for perfection and find leaders who embody that to be the perfect role models. Who wants a hand wringer or emotional wreck making decisions in the heat of battle? Not me. I want decisive leaders who exude confidence at every turn. I also want those types below me so that my sailors have someone to look to as a role model and I have someone I can trust to be prepared to make decisive decisions and be confident that these decisions were sound and not hoping and wishing it all works out.

tdunn

Okay guys. A lot of you are obviously stressed. So, instead of taking it out in a forum, why don't you go PT. I'm sure that Franny was trying to be encouraging, and that no one purposely or accidentally meant to throw around his/her rank. However, on a personal note, as an individual debating upon which branch of the service to enter, the cockiness and arrogance presented in this forum weighs heavily upon my mind. Do I want to spend the next 20 years of my life with a group of individuals that think so highly of themselves that they are incapable of seeing another's perspective? It's something to think about.

Corky

Tracie, what most people think is cockiness or arrogance is just confidence. Also, do not take what has been posted on this thread or on this board as a representative sample of military officer attitudes. It's not. I would wager that most applicants either lurk but don't post, only used the site to grab gouge from the files, or have never been here before. Too make a career decision based on what you read on airwarriors.com would be a poor one.

jennifer

jeez, why do people have to people so critical of each other? This is a life changing process! I know, I have been working towards this for many years and I think being a little stressed can be healthy. I have been running the best times these past few days! :0)

perchul

Well confidence can just as well be a sign of ignorace (eg. Col. Custer), for an ivy league educated person I surprised you put so much weight on it. I or someone else can think we're golden all we want then we don't get in because we're so dumb we don't even realize that we haven't worked hard and we're idiots.

Spin

SNA in Meridian
We ALL need to chill. I haven't posted about this cause I think it is silly. Everyone is different. Some vent, some keep it inside, some worry, some don't. Some pray, some say if it is meant to be it will happen. I don't think anyone here is wrong or right ... just different so PLEASE .... DON'T slam anyone for their opinions and DON'T force your ways of thinking onto other people. Remember.... not everyone is like [insert your name here] Let's change the topic now PPLLEEAASSEE.

And before anyone yells at me ... is not directed to anyone in particular.

I'll change the subject and hopefully y'all will follow me.

If you were to go into the Marines as something OTHER than what you have contracted for, what would it be? (i.e. Intel, Infantry, etc.)

I think that I would be interested in Intel as one. Also, being a Tank Commander. Not sure exactly what MOS that would fall under.

Anyone else?

CandKyMarine

perchul - I would love to respond, however your inane ramblings are impossible to decipher. Please find a grammar book and edit your post.

GTodd

OK everybody chill out. Hopefuly we will all get in and remember if we do we will be on the same team. Good luck EVERYBODY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Spin

SNA in Meridian
Oh and one more thing.

EVERYONE here should be proud of getting to this point. We all have worked hard to get here and no matter what our opinions, we wouldn't be this far if we weren't the cream of the crop. I know that, as with everything I do, this whole process has taught me yet more about myself and showed me that again, I am capable of working twords my goals. At this point in the game, you don't get denied because you have a weak package, you get denied because there just simply isn't enough room for everyone. Just my 2 cents but I am proud of all of you and I don't even know most of you but I know what you went through to get to this point.

Peace,

-Spin

Now ........ answer the question from the last post HAHA

jennifer

I agree with you spin, 100%! right on! I would like to work under james jones in some capacity. I think working with the UN would be an exciting and rewarding job.

Franny

Crowbar... we're cool... I am not attacking.. just clarifing. We are all so jazzed up. This is crazy!

Status
Not open for further replies.