• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Good Luck 184 applicants (Revised Title)

Status
Not open for further replies.

perchul

Fran I get the feeling that you saying that we're in touch with our feelings is just another slight, I don't see anything posted that points to us being overly sensitive in life. We all just want to be marines and we're passionate about that everything else I doubt we care about. I don't think Taxman is feeling to much agony over the topic seeing that he's good to go, but instead is just frusturated by your outlook...just out of curiousity what school did you go to?

1devildoc

You should all be extreemly proud!!! I have watched my husband bust his hump for the last year, and I'm sure the rest of you guys have all done the same. You have all come so far through out this entire experience. I know how bad you all want this, because I know how bad we want it. My husband has never worked this hard, or wanted something this bad before in his life. I believe everything we go through it this life happens for a reason. If my husband does not get excepted perhaps there is something else he is destined to do. You guys are all in my thoughts these days. Take care of yourselves.

orthaj

for anyone planning on attending the next OCC class or any OCC/PLC class. Don't volunteer to be the scribe, scribble or scratchette. It is a garaunteed way to take on twice as much work as anyone else in the platoon. Your peer reviews from others are going to slam you for all your worth while at the same time all you are doing is trying to keep the administrative shizzle in the platoon from getting more screwed up than it already is.

Taxman2A

War were declared.
Originally posted by Franny
You guys are definately in touch with your feelings... good for you! I guess I've managed to piss you all off... all in good fun of course. It must, if nothing else, feel good to vent your frustrations and justify your agony through a long post. I definately am feeling the benefits of creating conversation on this forum. I am new to this forum... mainly because my OSO just took the time to direct me here. I must say... everyone shares freely! I do enjoy the array of feedback=)

Percul was correct in his assessment. I am currently not feeling a whole lot of stress in regards to OCS selection, because I fought that battle over a year ago. Time to move on to new forms of stress for me. The reason I began posting in this thread was both to try and communicate with those who are stressing out at the moment, and now to try and help you put this all into perspective.

Marine OCS is prestigious, I think we can all agree. Now lets pretend this forum was something other than something military related, but still prestigious. Let's say, this was a forum for people trying to get into Harvard Law, or a forum for people trying to pass their medical boards, or a forum for people hoping to get selected as astronauts by NASA, whatever. If someone on a board such as this were saying that they were nervous, would you quickly scold them for showing too much weakness around others? I doubt it.

This is where I take issue with you. It seems somewhere along the line, either because of watching a movie, or getting some less than completely accurate advice from someone around you, you became convinced that being a Marine Officer is about pretending to be a hardass. This could not be farther from the truth. Yes, you should try and stay positive and motivated when you are on a PT run. Yes, when you are having an inspection, you should try and seem as strong as possible. Yes, when drilling, you should be confident. But to come on to a message board and scold others for expressing their anxiety in a situation as informal as this really says that you have some sort of misconception about what being an Officer is really about.

You have been advised both by myself, and more importantly, a Staff Sergeant of Marines. I know that doesn't mean much to you now, but I can promise you that if there is someone on this thread that knows what leadership is, it is Crowbar. Do yourself a favor and take his advice.

Semper Fi to everyone still awaiting selection!

Franny

I am very proud.. Taxman... your reply was just wrong. I watched a father and my boyfriend in the Marine Corps. I find it rather contridicting to find you posting about my past experiences. I WAS JUST JOKING around.. but I guess a girl needs to be put in her place in a man's territory... Oh, that was G.I. Jane, wasn't it? As for the rest of your post... I'll withhold my response... because what started out as a joke.. a couple of you have turned into a persoanl attack. If only I had those damn smiley faces on my computer to show my great humor. Completely misunderstood, Fran

Franny

Perchul - I went to Ohio University. I studied Intergrated Language Arts... a fancy name for Secondary English ... I never wanted to teach... but my parents wanted no part of me joining the Corps right out of high school. I decided to get a degree in something that would secure me a bright future no matter which was the OCS cookie crumbled. My Dad was afraid I wouldn't go to college if I joined the Corps.. though it never stopped him from going. Dad thought I was "lost" right out of high school... so getting my degree appeased him. He still isn't 100%, but at least he sees this is what I really want to do. He went to Nam... so he hesitates at the thought of his little girl being exposed to war. So maybe that's where I get my hard shell from. Wow guys.. it feels great to share!

Taxman2A

War were declared.
Originally posted by Franny
I am very proud.. Taxman... your reply was just wrong. I watched a father and my boyfriend in the Marine Corps. I find it rather contridicting to find you posting about my past experiences. I WAS JUST JOKING around.. but I guess a girl needs to be put in her place in a man's territory... Oh, that was G.I. Jane, wasn't it? As for the rest of your post... I'll withhold my response... because what started out as a joke.. a couple of you have turned into a persoanl attack. If only I had those damn smiley faces on my computer to show my great humor. Completely misunderstood, Fran

Well, due to the fact that humor is often lost on message boards, it appears that I took your post in a different way than it was intended. The first time I read your post I took your references to "sharing feelings" as quite condescending. If this is not the way you meant it then I apologize.

At the same time, what I said was not intended to be a personal attack. I don't question your ability to lead Marines, I just wanted to make it quite clear that at OCS, "tough guy" routines are quite ineffective.

Crowbar

None
Alright. Sounds like I said something that got taken out of context. Let's start at Franny's post about "Is this the first big thing in your life" ever comment. While I pretty much agree with what was said, had I been the one saying it, I would have phrased it a little different. What I took issue with was the later comment about "I wouldn't want you in my class". I think the big long post I left about that pretty much summed up everything I had to say about that. But just to make sure everyone understands this, I tell people what rank I am not to intimidate or belittle them. I say it to make them understand that I've been doing this whole Marine Corps thing for literally one-third of my natural life and so I have an idea of how things work. I certainly don't try to (at least I don't think I) act like "I'm a SSgt, and you're a slimy civilian so shut your damn pie hole" about anything. Anything I say here is basically my opinion or a comment/suggestion based on 9+ years of active duty. Things that I pass as fact are usually so stated in my posts and backed up by references. I wouldn't consider it a "counseling" by any means. I also have a dry, twisted sense of humor. In anti-personal places such as this, it comes off wrong at times. Hell, when dealing with people in real life it's not always understood. So I believe Franny about not having any malice in the comments. I could be wrong, but that's just what I think. As far as "I can promise you that if there is someone on this thread that knows what leadership is, it is Crowbar. Do yourself a favor and take his advice.", thanks for the compliment, but remember, even by doing something as simple as coming here reading the posts (even when I don't reply) I learn a little something more every day. If you want to take my advice, feel free. It doesn't cost anything for me to give it or for you to take it, so belly up to the bar and help yourself to whatever sounds good. I still learn about leadership every single day. Hopefully we all do.

I know how it is to be misunderstood and have people pissed off at you for the wrong reasons. Anyway, I hope for everyone's sake that that whole mess made sense. If not, let me know. I've got time to type, what with the cast and the crutches for the next six weeks...

reapergm

Sometimes I really like smacktalk, it lights a fire under my @ss. My PFT score was def a result of all the people who doubted me. Feels so damn good proving myself sometimes! I cant wait for OCS.

FrogFly

Knibb High Football Rules!
Originally posted by Taxman2A
You have been counseled both by myself, and more importantly, a Staff Sergeant of Marines. I know that doesn't mean much to you now, but I can promise you that if there is someone on this thread that knows what leadership is, it is Crowbar. Do yourself a favor and take his advice.

Oh man... This was a thread I preferred to read, rather than participate in. Nevertheless, I've got to get in on this one. Hey, Tax, I mean you no disrespect, so I hope that I'll be able to get my message across without setting someone's arse on fire. Did you just "informally" counsel someone on a message board. Wow! That's a first for me, I'll have to tell you. As was discussed earlier, it's hard to recognize humor in the "black and white". I suppose that's why I'm not so sure if you're kidding. I laughed my ass off when I read that. I sincerely hope you're kidding there. Because, in my extremely humble opinion, that's the type of bullsh*t nerd-ass officers who demand respect would say. You know, I got a five-point lecture one time from a Navy Ltjg about using starch on my cammies while on cruise in 1999. He was the hazmat officer and felt like lecturing someone so that he could assert himself in some form or fashion. My "contraband" wasn't on the list so he decided to corner me over it. I laughed in his face and made it known that although I had respect for his rank and authority, what just dribbled out of his mouth was absolute crap and is exactly what leads to the lack of respect for officers onboard the ship and the absence of pride of the sailors under his "direction". Point in case: don't get yourself caught in this trap just because you feel the need to correct an individual. To me, you had everything running smooth right until you busted out with that one. Don't get me wrong, I admire you for stepping up and offering advice and direction. Hell, that's what everyone wants around here, including myself. I'm not picking a fight, but merely attempting to make, what I think, is a valid point. I may have read it all wrong though. I know this was rushed and poorly written, but I felt the urgency to get this point across.

S/F

Taxman2A

War were declared.
FrogFly- I can agree with you, that if I had said "I am a 2nd Lieutenant so listen to me", then yes, that would have been pretty pathetic. My time in the corps is about as limited as they get, and my training in the corps has had more to do with evaluation than true tactics instruction. In reality, what I was attempting to do with that little paragraph was trying to point to Crowbar, by saying "Hey, a Marine Staff Sergeant who has been in the corps since before you had a drivers license still says it's OK to be nervous, so it might be time to re-examine your philosophy". Please note that I did say "more importantly" and highlight the rank "Staff Sergeant of Marines".

As far as the word "counsel" is concerned, I will come clean. I will be the first to admit that while I have completed OCS, I have amassed exactly zero days in the FMF. While I was at OCS, the way the term counseled was used (at least in front of me) implied that it was a synonym for "advise". Based on the reactions to this that both Crowbar and you have had to the word "counsel" in particular, I am getting the impression that the word implies something a bit more formal and authoritative than I realized. That's my bust, and I'll admit it.
Basically, if I stuck to using words that I could fully account for the original sentence would say-

"You have been advised both by myself, and more importantly, a Staff Sergeant of Marines. I know that doesn't mean much to you now, but I can promise you that if there is someone on this thread that knows what leadership is, it is Crowbar. Do yourself a favor and take his advice."

Sorry to spend so much time clearing this up, but please realize that I personally pride myself on my lack of being "high and mighty", and I want to do my best to stop any misconceptions about what I was trying to say before this goes any further.
As a matter of fact, the message that I have trying to convey this entire time was "Don't go to OCS trying to be high and mighty yourself, because it won't earn you respect or friendship from the candidates around you."

Kind of ironic, huh?
Oh well, while I won't change anything else in my previous post, I'm going to go back and edit the word "counsel" to "advise".

Joe Frank

I think that only the Best Applicants are going to get in (obvious). Ask yourself are one of the Best to be one of the Best? I think and firmly believe I am one of the best! It will be a great honor to serve with you Crowbar! I don't like the waiting game anymore than the rest of you. But I'm not loosing any sleep over fretting over it. OCC 184 Here I come! Semper Fi

Franny

Crowbar.. I never said "I wouldn't want you in my class... if I'm not mistaken.. that was candkyman=) Though I am an English major... sometimes I find myself having trouble articulating my thoughts and humor=)

CandKyMarine

Sorry to bust up your love fest, but a reality check is in order.
The good don't need to fret and loose sleep, and I am good. (Joe Frank, you too seem to have the right attitude). Fretting this early in the game is not a good sign for your career. If you're this stressed now, what is going to happen when you're actually (literally) under the gun? Are you going to wring your hands and whine "oh I really really hope that everything comes out ok"? If you have "busted your hump" as much as you claim to have, then you shouldn't be loosing sleep. There's a reason some people seem to "waltz" through OCS: they are prepared.
As for comparing this to applications to Harvard, etc, having gone to an Ivy, yes, my response would be the same. (And as an aside... I don't know anyone from school who lost any sleep over thier applications. They were all well prepared and knew what was expected BEFORE they applied.) If someone came to me whining "oh I managed to pass my high school class and took the SAT 6 times and eeked out a 1200. I'm so nervous I'm not going to get into Harvard, I'm loosing sleep." I'd tell them they should look elsewhere.
Hard work and preparation are necessary, stressing and fretting and whining are signs that you don't have what it takes.

Status
Not open for further replies.