• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Good Luck 184 applicants (Revised Title)

Status
Not open for further replies.

perchul

Well Candycane keep exuding your confidence when you get to OCS and we'll see how far it gets you. As for the OCS faerie(<--correct spelling), I'd watch what you say it seems your overstepping the bounds of humor and making an attack on us. Personally I don't want to have a person who takes acceptance for granted in OCS with me; and stop sucking up to franny she's not going to have sex with you; I'm sure you remeber what thats like from college.

Crowbar

None
Originally posted by CandKyMarine
Franny -- I have to agree with you. If you're loosing sleep over getting into OCS then you probably don't deserve to go. A leader (officer) should embody confidence, not some hope on a whim and a prayer. If you're still hoping that some good OCS fairy will grant your wishes and let you in, then I wouldn't want you in my class.

This is just wrong for so many reasons. I've heard it said before and I fully believe it-sometimes the guy who finishes 150 out of 150 has more heart and drive that the guy who finished #1. I think about last year at MECEP Prep, where 100 of the Marine Corps's future officers were put in the same room. Out of those 100, about 85 applied once and got into one of the most sought after programs in the Marine Corps. About 8-10 applied twice before they got in. The rest of us (about 5-7 and yes I was in this group) applied for three years before they got in. I talked to almost everybody there, and most said "Oh, yeah, I just applied for kicks and look what it got me." Whereas, people like me were saying "It took me three years to get in so I don't want to hear how you 'did it for kicks' because I worked my ass off to be here." For people who have wanted to do this for a long time (some cases, their entire lives), it's perfectly fine to sweat it a little bit. I was (still am) a Staff Sergeant when I applied for MECEP for the third time. I had already proven myself as a leader of Marines. I had confidence in my ability to do my job and everyone around me knew that. But I was still nervous. Did I sit at work and bellyache about it all day? Hell no. But when I was alone (I PT'd a lot while waiting for the results) it was all I could think about. Why? Because it affected not only my life, but the life of my family as well. It was something I had been trying to do since I was in high school and I knew I was running out of time.

I certainly was not visited by any fairy, OCS or otherwise. I busted my hump for a long time to get where I am, as did many other people on this site. But I was still nervous when the board met. In fact, on the year I got in, when I saw the selection results posted in a MARADMIN, I wouldn't even read it because I expected the worst. So I guess you wouldn't want me in your class. Good thing. I went to OCS in July. Broke my foot. So I'm going back next year. Maybe if I'm lucky, I'll see you there. Because, you see, in the short time I've been on this earth, I've learned that you can learn something from everybody...even if it's how not to act or how not to carry yourself.

jennifer

I strongly agree with you crowbar and I admire your perseverence.
In a time of war I think that dedication and drive will help you get out of tough situations.

I think thurs the 7th of august is the last day -at least for the western half of the US.

Taxman2A

War were declared.
Originally posted by Crowbar
Originally posted by CandKyMarine
Franny -- I have to agree with you. If you're loosing sleep over getting into OCS then you probably don't deserve to go. A leader (officer) should embody confidence, not some hope on a whim and a prayer. If you're still hoping that some good OCS fairy will grant your wishes and let you in, then I wouldn't want you in my class.

This is just wrong for so many reasons. I've heard it said before and I fully believe it-sometimes the guy who finishes 150 out of 150 has more heart and drive that the guy who finished #1. I think about last year at MECEP Prep, where 100 of the Marine Corps's future officers were put in the same room. Out of those 100, about 85 applied once and got into one of the most sought after programs in the Marine Corps. About 8-10 applied twice before they got in. The rest of us (about 5-7 and yes I was in this group) applied for three years before they got in. I talked to almost everybody there, and most said "Oh, yeah, I just applied for kicks and look what it got me." Whereas, people like me were saying "It took me three years to get in so I don't want to hear how you 'did it for kicks' because I worked my ass off to be here." For people who have wanted to do this for a long time (some cases, their entire lives), it's perfectly fine to sweat it a little bit. I was (still am) a Staff Sergeant when I applied for MECEP for the third time. I had already proven myself as a leader of Marines. I had confidence in my ability to do my job and everyone around me knew that. But I was still nervous. Did I sit at work and bellyache about it all day? Hell no. But when I was alone (I PT'd a lot while waiting for the results) it was all I could think about. Why? Because it affected not only my life, but the life of my family as well. It was something I had been trying to do since I was in high school and I knew I was running out of time.

I certainly was not visited by any fairy, OCS or otherwise. I busted my hump for a long time to get where I am, as did many other people on this site. But I was still nervous when the board met. In fact, on the year I got in, when I saw the selection results posted in a MARADMIN, I wouldn't even read it because I expected the worst. So I guess you wouldn't want me in your class. Good thing. I went to OCS in July. Broke my foot. So I'm going back next year. Maybe if I'm lucky, I'll see you there. Because, you see, in the short time I've been on this earth, I've learned that you can learn something from everybody...even if it's how not to act or how not to carry yourself.

Those were some outstanding motivational words to put everything into perspective. I busted my ass to get into OCS, and struggled every minute that I was there. I'm not afraid to admit that I was a "problem child" during the first week or two, because it took more determination than I thought I had to persevere and leave Quantico ready to finish school and be commissioned. In the end, I was told that I was an inspiration to the other candidates around me because I took twice the **** the average candidate did but still kept moving. All this was the culmination of a 2 year long struggle to even be medically approved for OCS, let alone selected.

I remember the most amazing thing I had ever seen was the candidates who waltzed through OCS like it wasn't even a challenge, who then shrugged their shoulders by the end and talked about how they "weren't really sure if they wanted a commission". Unbelievable.

Franny

wow... I am amazed at how everyone took my words. I'm not saying that I haven't been working over a year to get into OCS.. and that waiting around is a cake walk ... or that I'm sure I'm getting in this time... I'm just saying you're showing a lot of weakness and vualnerability to complete strangers. I am confident... though I would feel destroyed if I wasn't accepted. I am sure we all want to be a part of the stongest and most elite part of the armed services.. otherwise we wouldn't have gotten this far. Keep up the dialogue though. I love to hear everyone's opinion one what makes a great leader.

perchul

I really don't view myself as exposed by whining about how much this waiting blows, have a hard time seeing where my big security dilemma develops from that. Fran it sounds like you may have some intimacy problems and I think you should share with the group.

Taxman2A

War were declared.
Originally posted by Franny
I'm just saying you're showing a lot of weakness and vualnerability to complete strangers. I am confident... though I would feel destroyed if I wasn't accepted. I am sure we all want to be a part of the stongest and most elite part of the armed services.. otherwise we wouldn't have gotten this far. Keep up the dialogue though. I love to hear everyone's opinion one what makes a great leader.

This is supposed to be a friendly discussion board where we are to look at eachother as members of the same team. Each member of this board should not (and is not) looking for a way to undermine the others here. That being said, I have no idea how expressing your worries and concerns on this message board is in any way a problem. "Showing weakness and vulnerability"? You say it as if you were a gazelle being looked over by a pack of hungry lions. We are all humans on this board, and as such we all naturally have concerns, worries, etc. To me, seeing that an OCS applicant can't even sleep because they want to hear the board results so badly just solidifies in my mind just how much they want to be a Marine Officer.

The whole act about wanting to look like a hardass is good for about one or two things- inspections, and in a less significant sense, drill. During inspections at OCS you should look and sound confident, and tough. This is the time when you should "fake the funk" and not want to show any signs of weakness.

You want to succeed at the other 99.9% of OCS (the part that actually counts)? Be a team player. Learn to encourage the members of your squad/ platoon. Don't be afraid to help others, and don't be afraid to ask for help when you need it.

Proceeding in your career as a military officer with the sentiment that you need to be some untouchable beacon of military bearing may be your way of doing things, but it will not earn you any friends, or the respect of the enlisted you are leading. It won't take long for anyone to see through your act and realize that you are presenting a facade. The Candidates who came to OCS with the attitude that they were impenetrable rocks almost all went home at the weeks 7 and 9 boards, due entirely to peer evals if nothing else.

reapergm

Franny... on "to complete strangers".... The great thing about this board is that I've managed to learn alot about alot of people on this board. Over the last few months I have conversed with these people on a daily basis, both on this site and outside. I have friends on this board. Im glad I can turn to someone for advice and not be worried about how I will be judged! So you can go ahead and judge me or whoever else, because your opinion really doesnt matter. But people like Taxman's do. Thanks Tax! -Reaper

Franny

You guys are definately in touch with your feelings... good for you! I guess I've managed to piss you all off... all in good fun of course. It must, if nothing else, feel good to vent your frustrations and justify your agony through a long post. I definately am feeling the benefits of creating conversation on this forum. I am new to this forum... mainly because my OSO just took the time to direct me here. I must say... everyone shares freely! I do enjoy the array of feedback=)

GTodd

Well I just thought of something while I was running. Be proud. Yes there are over 1000 applicants for 184, but think of it this way. There are Millions of people in this country (forgive my ignorance for not knowing the exact number) and there are only about 1500 apllying for OCS who got the honor to apply. Be proud my friends I know our hard work will pay off.
bouncy_125.gif

backseater82

I never thought of it that way. Makes sense, even though I'd still be damn proud to try even if everybody else was trying. OORRAAHH!!

Status
Not open for further replies.