• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY16 IDC DCO Board (Jan 16)

If you applied, select the designator(s) you applied for

• 1805 METOC

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • 1815 IW

Votes: 17 50.0%
  • 1825 IP

Votes: 16 47.1%
  • 1835 INTEL

Votes: 26 76.5%

• Total voters
@Fleet_saile and @Hair Warriors? I have a BS in Environmental Science and Mathematics, 15 Years Experience serving Active Duty Air Force (8)/Guard (3) and Reserves (4) as an Enlisted Weather Forecaster. I have also worked 2 years as a DOD Meteorological Contractor (L-3) and 3 years as a GS-9 Federal Meteorological Technician (Current). As far as Stats, I`m not sure exactly what your looking for, but my combined GPA is a 3.2.
I think that you have very high potential to get selected. I believe, DCO is for experienced professional which you possess.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
/threadjack

I like how METOC/OCEANO are part of the IWC. When I've gotten the question in my officer interview panels, I mention how weather is a huge factor in operations. Even oceanography and mapping the sea terrain are crucial if you're tracking an Akula through undersea canyons. Probably far-fetched...but that's my answer as to "Why 180X matters."

Hair Warrior

Contributor
@Hair Warriors? I really like the IDC/IWC concept. I wish the AF would have followed suit. It makes so much sense, and on so many levels.
Yeah, the AF went a different way. They merged their intel folks with the operators, rather than the comms/IT side. In 2014-15, the AF realigned AFISRA (which was a FOA) as a new NAF (25 AF) under ACC.

The Navy has N2N6 at OPNAV. Instead of doing A2/6, the USAF did sort of an A2 and A3 merge.

Although the USAF recently realigned the AF Weather Agency as a Wing underneath the new 25 AF, so at least their meteorologists and intel folks are closer integrated.

Last edited:
I wonder if anyone has some input on the ideal candidate to be an IW/IP/Intel officers. What an ideal candidate should possess? What degrees,certification, background , experience, language skills preferred?
How important is OIC interview? What percentage of candidates get 100% confidence? Any lessons learned from previous years would be greatly appreciated . THANKS IN ADVANCE.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
There is no "perfect" candidate, but there is a perfect mix of candidates. The IWC wants a 60-40 mix of hard science and social science. They like to see prior service but they also value skills and perspectives from the private sector. If the board selects 50 "perfect" candidates with identical backgrounds, the IWC doesn't get the diversity of thought and diversity of expertise it needs to adapt to evolving mission requirements.

That said, the IWC Board does publish its selection criteria and explain how it applies the criteria to select "best fit" candidates. I think it's available online without a CAC... let me look around.

EDIT, found: https://www.airwarriors.com/community/index.php?threads/fy15-idc-dco-boards.42161/ scroll down to das' post.

I am not sure how much weight is given to the unit OIC confidence rating. Maybe an officer recruiter can shed some light. That said, I am working under the assumption that I won't get selected without a 100% rating. My interview appraisals were 10/10/9, so the 9 worries me.

Last edited:

exNavyOffRec

I wonder if anyone has some input on the ideal candidate to be an IW/IP/Intel officers. What an ideal candidate should possess? What degrees,certification, background , experience, language skills preferred?
How important is OIC interview? What percentage of candidates get 100% confidence? Any lessons learned from previous years would be greatly appreciated . THANKS IN ADVANCE.

I don't remember seeing any of the applicants at the NRD I was at get selected without 100% but I thought I had seen post where some here had.

There is no "perfect" candidate, but there is a perfect mix of candidates. The IWC wants a 60-40 mix of hard science and social science. They like to see prior service but they also value skills and perspectives from the private sector. If the board selects 50 "perfect" candidates with identical backgrounds, the IWC doesn't get the diversity of thought and diversity of expertise it needs to adapt to evolving mission requirements.

That said, the IWC Board does publish its selection criteria and explain how it applies the criteria to select "best fit" candidates. I think it's available online without a CAC... let me look around.

EDIT, found: https://www.airwarriors.com/community/index.php?threads/fy15-idc-dco-boards.42161/ scroll down to das' post.

I am not sure how much weight is given to the unit OIC confidence rating. Maybe an officer recruiter can shed some light. That said, I am working under the assumption that I won't get selected without a 100% rating. My interview appraisals were 10/10/9, so the 9 worries me.
I read that thread before, however, it seems broad and vague. I wanted to mean more specific like you mentioned 10/10/9. It's much easier to benchmark if you get selected with this score. Also curious to know how they weigh candidates. For an instance Computer Science 20% of the weight, Electrical Engineering 18%, so on ...recommendation from RADM 10%, or Captain 8%, Federal Scientist/Engineer 10%, Lawyer 9% Vs Private sector Engineer 8%, /Prior Armed Forces/Service Academy 15% etc. I guess #1.Education/Degrees 2. Service background (related armed forces career) 3. Current/previous profession (related career) 4. Motivational Statement 5. Interview 7. Recommendation . Any quantifiable thoughts?

I don't remember seeing any of the applicants at the NRD I was at get selected without 100% but I thought I had seen post where some here had.
I know one candidate got 100% and the other got 85%, but don't know if they got selected. Do you remember if the candidates with 100% got selected or not?

If you got 9 and he/she mentioned positive attributes about you in the comment section, that would help a lot. Here, I have not read anything less than 9 yet . Usually most people get 9/10. I got all 10 but the interviewer used common adjectives in the appraisal. That makes me worried.:(

Any thoughts on why there are 4 other IDC DCO board meeting this year? Are they for Active duty only? Please see the attached schedule. Are there any other reserve DCO opportunities for a person with STEM/ Business education background?

Attachments

• Copy of Notice 1131 FY16 Enclosure (4) - Board Schedule - REV 1 - 26 AUG 2015 (3).xlsx.pdf
    95.3 KB · Views: 11