• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY16 IDC DCO Board (Jan 16)

If you applied, select the designator(s) you applied for

• 1805 METOC

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • 1815 IW

Votes: 17 50.0%
  • 1825 IP

Votes: 16 47.1%
  • 1835 INTEL

Votes: 26 76.5%

• Total voters

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Any thoughts on why there are 4 other IDC DCO board meeting this year? Are they for Active duty only? Please see the attached schedule. Are there any other reserve DCO opportunities for a person with STEM/ Business education background?
No, this week's board is the only DCO opportunity for the IWC for FY16.

If I recall correctly, those other board dates are professional review boards for active duty officer accessions (i.e. OCS), lateral transfers, inter-service transfers, selection for rank (O4+ and Chiefs), to pick billet quotas for all of the above for the next FY, and probably other reasons of which I'm unaware.

Depending on how you define "STEM/Business" there could be other officer opportunities or enlisted IWC opportunities that match your career interests and qualifications.

How old are you by the way? Are you prior service?

Last edited:

fieldrat

Fully Qualified 1815
Any thoughts on why there are 4 other IDC DCO board meeting this year? Are they for Active duty only? Please see the attached schedule. Are there any other reserve DCO opportunities for a person with STEM/ Business education background?
The file you attached clearly lists the IDC DCO board for FY16 (16-251) as convening 18 JAN. The other entries are for AC. Yeah, it kinda sucks to have to do all the legwork for one shot per year, but that's what it is...

No, this week's board is the only DCO opportunity for the IWC for FY16.

If I recall correctly, those other board dates are professional review boards for active duty officer accessions (i.e. OCS), lateral transfers, inter-service transfers, selection for rank (O4+ and Chiefs), to pick billet quotas for all of the above for the next FY, and probably other reasons of which I'm unaware.

Depending on how you define "STEM/Business" there could be other officer opportunities or enlisted IWC opportunities that match your career interests and qualifications.

How old are you by the way? Are you prior service?
Got it. I am 32, currently enlisted(Cyber Security) with Air Force (Reserve). Was wondering if there are other branches with DCO opportunities.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Got it. I am 32, currently enlisted(Cyber Security) with Air Force (Reserve). Was wondering if there are other branches with DCO opportunities.
The Navy and Coast Guard are the only two branches that offer DCO for Intel, I believe. The Navy is the only branch with a DCO source for cyber/IW officers.

The Army and Air Force offer DCO only for medical, JAG, and chaplains.
The Marines do not offer DCO.
The USPHS and NOAA have DCO but aren't part of the armed forces.

You can apply for commission as a reserve officer with the Army, Marines, or Air Force and go through OCS/OCC/OTS, but you might need an age waiver.

Last edited:
The Navy and Coast Guard are the only two branches that offer DCO for Intel, I believe. The Navy is the only branch with a DCO source for cyber/IW officers.

The Army and Air Force offer DCO only for medical, JAG, and chaplains.
The Marines do not offer DCO.
The USPHS and NOAA have DCO but aren't part of the armed forces.

You can apply for commission as a reserve officer with the Army, Marines, or Air Force and go through OCS/OCC/OTS, but you might need an age waiver.
Thanks for the info. I was thinking about Coast Guard and spoke to a recruiter, however, I didn't find the deadline for submitting applications for FY17. In addition, USCG requires prior experience for DCO Intel, I guess. I don't have Intel background.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Roger. Maybe you will get PRO REC Y next week!

If not, my recommendation would be to identify a mentor who is an 1815, 1825, or 1835 officer at O4 or O5 rank, and work with that person over the next year to identify and pursue professional development opportunities that will increase your qualifications and competitiveness for USN DCO.

Roger. Maybe you will get PRO REC Y next week!

If not, my recommendation would be to identify a mentor who is an 1815, 1825, or 1835 officer at O4 or O5 rank, and work with that person over the next year to identify and pursue professional development opportunities that will increase your qualifications and competitiveness for USN DCO.
Sounds perfect. Thank you for your advice.

My OIC interview was late. I had an interview with OIC on Jan 5, 2016. The same day the document was uploaded and I have been told that I am pro board. I am not sure if that would hurt my chances as I was late for full package submission. However, I have been told that OIC interview is not a "required" document for the FY16 selection board, it's recommended ; it can done once I am selected. Please note that OIC interview was mandatory for prior board according to 108C of previous years. Please see the new requirements on the link below.A ny thoughts anyone/ @NavyOffRec ?
https://www.navycs.com/officer/informationwarfareofficer.html

fieldrat

Fully Qualified 1815
My OIC interview was late. I had an interview with OIC on Jan 5, 2016. The same day the document was uploaded and I have been told that I am pro board. I am not sure if that would hurt my chances as I was late for full package submission. However, I have been told that OIC interview is not a "required" document for the FY16 selection board, it's recommended ; it can done once I am selected. Please note that OIC interview was mandatory for prior board according to 108C of previous years. Please see the new requirements on the link below.A ny thoughts anyone/ @NavyOffRec ?
A little odd, to be sure. However, I had my own paperwork issues to work with as well. Transcripts kept not making it up the chain. Also wasn't fully resolved until about 5 JAN. Once your packet is sent up, I don't think they can tell how it came together, so long as it meets the requirements.

exNavyOffRec

as long as the info is there by the deadline it doesn't matter, it is there.

under special requirements, under interview it says an interview shall be done, in the USN shall means mandatory.

ryblyguy

I read that thread before, however, it seems broad and vague. I wanted to mean more specific like you mentioned 10/10/9. It's much easier to benchmark if you get selected with this score. Also curious to know how they weigh candidates. For an instance Computer Science 20% of the weight, Electrical Engineering 18%, so on ...recommendation from RADM 10%, or Captain 8%, Federal Scientist/Engineer 10%, Lawyer 9% Vs Private sector Engineer 8%, /Prior Armed Forces/Service Academy 15% etc. I guess #1.Education/Degrees 2. Service background (related armed forces career) 3. Current/previous profession (related career) 4. Motivational Statement 5. Interview 7. Recommendation . Any quantifiable thoughts?

I was under the impression that only 2 appraisals had to be submitted (one from each interview). If your 9 was from the 2 person panel, it can/should be omitted from the final package. My scores were 10/9 and 10.

Last edited:
I have concerns about my own DCO paperwork, but I figure not much I can do about it now. I'll find out in a week or so.
I
I was under the impression that only 2 appraisals had to be submitted (one from each interview). If your 9 was from the 2 person panel, it can/should be omitted from the final package. My scores were 10/9 and 10.
I had two interviews including 1 panel of 2 Officers , I think the OR will keep the best 2.