• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY16 IDC DCO Board (Jan 16)

If you applied, select the designator(s) you applied for

• 1805 METOC

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • 1815 IW

Votes: 17 50.0%
  • 1825 IP

Votes: 16 47.1%
  • 1835 INTEL

Votes: 26 76.5%

• Total voters

cmdeane

so really its the 25th we are waiting for and not the 18th?

i am wondering also about billets

ideally id like to go to live on a base in europe and rent my house in md out

where do intel or IP people usually get stationed?

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Yes: 25 Jan at the absolute earliest. Probably early Feb.

It's the reserves, so you won't get stationed anywhere. You will be attached to a training unit to start. You drill at the NOSC nearest to where you live (for the most part). Where do you live in MD?

For intel, I'm told you have the option to do active duty NIOBC in Dam Neck for 5 months if you want, but most Ensigns do it on weekends over 18 months. I am not sure if IP has a similar option. Your first two years are spent earning your IDWO pin and your other qual (Intel officer or IP officer). It's a fair amount of sitting in a SCIF doing CBTs on SIPRnet, if my gouge is correct.

You won't really mob until LTJG at the soonest - and when you do, I doubt it will be a cushy European country. It will likely be overseas to a sandbox or maybe activation to a 3-letter agency or ONI in CONUS. I know a LTJG 1835 who is mob'ing somewhere tropical in the Western hemisphere, but that opportunity seems rare.

At higher ranks, some Navy reservists opt to drill at units further away from home and eat the travel costs. They do this because they want the job that's vacant and don't mind traveling for their career progression. I know one 1835 CAPT who held command ashore in New England but lives in the NCR. I think he paid for his airfare out of pocket every month.

Caveat: My gouge may be incorrect. Someone correct me if I'm wrong anywhere.

Last edited:

exNavyOffRec

i am wondering also about billets

What concerns me is these are questions you should know having been through the application and interview process.

cmdeane

as for IP and mobbing, are they usually the ones working at the three letters in IT ? If so I could possibly live at home and work there and come home everyday thats awesome.

i wonder what kind of missions ship based IP people go on, and as i am married I am guessing these are unaccompanied tours to the sandboxes right

fieldrat

Fully Qualified 1815
What concerns me is these are questions you should know having been through the application and interview process.
My recruiter has been awesome, but these questions are out of his wheelhouse, as least as far as the IDC stuff goes. I have a lot of side-channel knowledge and access, and I'm still having fun getting this answer. Clearly, I can speculate, based on requirements of the community and places that tend to match those requirements, but while OPSEC is never as good as it could be, it's rarely as bad as folks tell you it is.

Happy to share my speculations via PM, but won't broadcast for fear of creating bad gouge.

fieldrat

Fully Qualified 1815
Well, it looks like there is no more IDC. The Navy is renaming it the IWO - Information Warfare Community.

Reference: https://www.facebook.com/notes/info...rfare-community/10153783316057719?pnref=story

I assume they will also rename the IDWO pin to be the IWO pin, and other corresponding name changes.

P.S. Is it just me, or does it seem like there's less interest/chatter about this DCO board vs. previous ones?
It does seem like a good strategic move. It's always important to speak apples (warfare) to a person who understands apples (warfare). Hopefully it helps establish more equal footing in the eyes of the other communities. Hopefully, it establishes the need for more (direct) accessions as well.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
It does seem like a good strategic move. It's always important to speak apples (warfare) to a person who understands apples (warfare). Hopefully it helps establish more equal footing in the eyes of the other communities. Hopefully, it establishes the need for more (direct) accessions as well.
Eh, I am not sure it achieves much. It may be perceived as a PR move for obtaining/defending resources in a resource-constrained environment.

For the URL officers on this forum, does this name change ruffle feathers? Should the label "warfare" only mean kinetic, not computer?

exNavyOffRec

Well, it looks like there is no more IDC. The Navy is renaming it the IWO - Information Warfare Community.

Reference: https://www.facebook.com/notes/info...rfare-community/10153783316057719?pnref=story

I assume they will also rename the IDWO pin to be the IWO pin, and other corresponding name changes.

P.S. Is it just me, or does it seem like there's less interest/chatter about this DCO board vs. previous ones?

I wonder if this is one of those steps to eventually have all designators as one

cmdeane

do you think there is a reduced interest in the population to join the military? also i heard that if you dont get accepted here youll have to resub everything again and wait another year for the next board

if i dont get in now i wont go for it at all, getting older and lazier and less motivated in general

cmdeane

No offense, but this isn't the sentiment the IWC (fmr IDC) Board wants to hear.
It's realistic because the application and waiting process was a lot, and if boards will now be once a year it deincentivizes potentials simply because the the resubmit process time and wait.
Might just be me, but it is probably like that for others too, esp those about to hit the age limits

subreservist

It's realistic because the application and waiting process was a lot, and if boards will now be once a year it deincentivizes potentials simply because the the resubmit process time and wait.
Might just be me, but it is probably like that for others too, esp those about to hit the age limits

There is always interest to join the military. Most folks that try don't even meet the basic entry requirements.

IDC/IWC is competitive; for each individual that thinks as you, there is another ready make the attempt to get in. As outsiders looking in, we don't know why they changed the number of boards/year, but, best guess, their manning numbers are probably not an issue.