• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY13 STA-21 Applicants

Do you think the numbers will go up next year?

• Total voters

A.H.

"Billy the Kid"
I'm going to have to disagree....our experience from the enlisted side IS unreplacable by a Naval Academy graduate, non-prior OCS, or NROTC graduate. There's just parts of the Navy they will never see, experience, and understand in the same way as we do.

jeeplovindad

FY13 Sta-21 Applicant EDO/SWO
Right and some might say that's what the LDO program is for. I'm not saying I disagree with you, because I don't. But there is most definitely two sides to this argument.

Lui

OCS Applicant
Oh I don't disagree with that. If anything, the NROTC program as a whole could almost be cut or at least drastically downsized. Cut the number of units in half, double the STA-21 pickup, and cut the NORTC pickup in half. We could save the money and strengthen our Navy at the same time.

Jonny Coreson

Jonny, I am applying for HR. This is my third time applying. I was a core alternate last year. What about you?

I was actually ineligible to board. A very unfortunate paperwork mistake made while I was deployed on a MEU. My weigh-in wasn't recorded ANYWHERE. The chief even said "sorry bro, that's the way it goes sometimes". Despite my protests. I even told him it was vital to my package. Which brings up another question I have. Understanding that this is an open forum so don't get too testy with me.

Does anyone feel they have been outright discriminated against by the Chief community because of your intentions for STA-21? I may have made the mistake of making my intentions known from Day 1. Literally I told my RDC that I wanted to be an officer when he asked me "WHAT DID YOU EXPECT OUT OF THIS CANOE CLUB RECRUIT!!!".. At least I got called sir towards the end. Anyway, I feel like chiefs have disregarded my efforts in favor of people who are jonesing for the anchors. I was told by a Master Chief, whose wife is a LCDR through an enlisted commissioning program, that chiefs won't reward me unless I "act like I strive to be one of them." I felt like that was very unprofessional and petty. Anyway, fodder to fill time. Discuss..

tmcgee7

Nuke MM1
Sounds to me like you've got some crappy chiefs. Ive definitely caught some flak for trying to go officer, but most of my chiefs understand and have helped me through the process. If you show the slightest sign of being 'too good to be enlisted' though, no one is going to support you. Not trying to accuse you of being like that, but ive seen plenty of junior guys act that way and it's pretty annoying.

Cody Hitson

FY13 STA-21 SWO Applicant
Yeah, unfortunately it's a sad truth about some senior enlisted guys out there. My advice is if you're not getting the help you need from your own chain of command, go to someone that will. I've gone to help from pretty much everyone I think can get me a leg up, both in and out of my own chain of command. As far as your weigh-in is concerned, I would have gone directly to my CFL and if I didn't get what I needed there, then I'd go to PRIMS. You just have to take charge and get it done yourself sometimes. I'm sorry you got screwed out of it this time around, but just try to take it all in stride in use that to your advantage next year.

JHawkNROTC

FY12 & 13 Supply Corps Applicant
Does anyone feel they have been outright discriminated against by the Chief community because of your intentions for STA-21?

Actually, I got more "discriminated" against by by DIVO/Dept Head. She is an LDO LT (Prior Chief). I PCSed to my current command in the middle of my application process. My previous command had "laid some ground work" for me prior to my transfer. (i.e. my former CO sent an e-mail to my gaining command's CO, XO with some 'nice' things to say... I'm being modest)
Anyway, I think my Dept Head caught wind of it, and I actually think she was somewhat threatened by it. I'm not 100% sure, but I did NOT get a warm a fuzzy from her. She made it very clear that she thought it was very important for an enlisted member to expierence being a Chief before getting commisioned. I got zero help from her in regards to my package. Luckily I had already gone through this process and my package was 90% complete. I really only needed to get my boards done.

You just have to take charge and get it done yourself sometimes

I agree with this ten fold. I think that is part of this program. Do your own research. Read the instruction. Ask questions. Set up your own boards. Write your own personal statement. Basically take the initiative and get it done. It will make you a better Sailor, leader, and (hopefully) a better officer.

JHawkNROTC

FY12 & 13 Supply Corps Applicant
I think all the hate and discontent from the chiefs mess some of us receive is jealousy coming to the surface​

I don't think it's jealousy. If they wanted to pursue a commission, they could... STA-21, LDO, CWO, even OCS... In my experience, some Chiefs just feel like when enlisted Sailors pursue a commision they are "trading in their anchors".

It's a very delicate topic. I think (or at least I hope) none of us think that we are "too good" for the enlisted ranks... I've said before in this forum (I think it was last year's) and I'll say it again. Win, lose, or draw (i.e. I get commisioned, I stay enlisted, or I get out of the Navy) I will continue to do the absolute best I can. If I don't get picked up this year, you better believe I'll apply again. I'll continue to apply until I am no longer eligible, and then I will pursue LDO, and if not that, CWO, and if not that I'll be a bad ass Master Chief...

visanoven

ENC -> OC
Maybe I am biased because I am a chief, but I don't get a lot of flak for wanting a commission. Even when I was a first class, I was always supported. I was also open about my intentions. The thing to remember is that if the chiefs are giving you grief for wanting a commission it may be because they want you in the mess to add strength. You could take it as a compliment.

A_Longo88

"Wild Horse"
None
If I don't get picked up this year, you better believe I'll apply again. I'll continue to apply until I am no longer eligible, and then I will pursue LDO, and if not that, CWO, and if not that I'll be a bad ass Master Chief...

HOOYAH MASTER CHIEF !!!! Very well said shipmate ! I agree 100%

A_Longo88

"Wild Horse"
None
1342654352001_3141659.png

A_Longo88

"Wild Horse"
None
How come the message traffic seems so slow and quiet when you're watching it yet it speeds up once you look away? I have serioulsy been going to bed at like 2000 in an effort to have the next day come a bit quicker. Seems like I have been more exhausted in the morning though. Everything is @$$ backwards right now.