• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY13 STA-21 Applicants

Do you think the numbers will go up next year?

• Total voters

Jennifer Båtstad

FY-13 STA-21 Selectee
It seems like the recent openings in enlisted advancement across the Navy have not brought much optimism to STA-21 applicants this year. I know we're talking about two separate communities here (enlisted vs. officer corps), but I'm hopeful that perhaps the numbers will reflect openings in the officer community as well-- and translate into more selections. I'm approaching the age limit for my desired designator, so I'm crossing my fingers that this will be my year.

I'm desperately trying to avoid getting the "Air Warrior fever" again this year (you know what that's like), and stay focused on my current job instead, but it is difficult to refrain from counting down the months along with everyone else.

A_Longo88

"Wild Horse"
None
I was told the same thing by some other selectees that I knew ... they said its full of a bunch of people (im sure they were referring to other applicants .. not the Senior Os) that didn't know what they were talking about and the best way to get info is to email STA-21 and read the instruction many times over .... The main reason im on here is to BS with the other applicants and to have something to make the time go by ... Besides all these senior guys here are freakin hilarious sometimes .... actually all the time .....

exNavyOffRec

I was told the same thing by some other selectees that I knew ... they said its full of a bunch of people (im sure they were referring to other applicants .. not the Senior Os) that didn't know what they were talking about and the best way to get info is to email STA-21 and read the instruction many times over .... The main reason im on here is to BS with the other applicants and to have something to make the time go by ... Besides all these senior guys here are freakin hilarious sometimes .... actually all the time .....

You know that often the people you email back at Millington just push paper and don't have the good info, I don't think the people that said not to come here realize the amount of knowledge here, now nothing is perfect, but I would ask the guys that said not to bother with the info from here what is going to be more accurate, info from a GS-5 that is just waiting for the time to go home or people here that can be blunt but want to help those they can.

FYI the NRD's generally have a position that looks for NROTC candidates, and they often have access to alot of good info, not just for HS kids, but had info as to the guys selected STA21.

Jennifer Båtstad

FY-13 STA-21 Selectee
I have a question for the prior STA-21 selectees/alumni:

1). Can you apply to a university that wasn't among the three listed on your STA-21 application?
2). Can someone describe what a selectee is doing during the time between NSI graduation and starting their first semester at university? Such as, are you attached to a command during that time, etc?

Thank you in advance.

Popo Jijo

Primary Complete
It seems like the recent openings in enlisted advancement across the Navy have not brought much optimism to STA-21 applicants this year. I know we're talking about two separate communities here (enlisted vs. officer corps), but I'm hopeful that perhaps the numbers will reflect openings in the officer community as well-- and translate into more selections. I'm approaching the age limit for my desired designator, so I'm crossing my fingers that this will be my year.

I'm desperately trying to avoid getting the "Air Warrior fever" again this year (you know what that's like), and stay focused on my current job instead, but it is difficult to refrain from counting down the months along with everyone else.

"Air Warrior Fever" will definitely kick in for a lot of people come October. I think one can check this site and stay focused on their current job. As long as that person isn't like those people who constantly sit on BOL clicking refresh while waiting for advancement results.

As far as selections, I am always optomistic. For my rate AWV, we were torn apart by PTS, went through ERB, and yet now that that is done, our advancement is up from 0% two cycles ago, and now floats around 13-15%. I know that Officer and Enlisted are two seperate machines when it comes to retention/advancement/ etc., but one can only hope.

Lucky3

P-8 Driver
pilot

1). Can you apply to a university that wasn't among the three listed on your STA-21 application?
2). Can someone describe what a selectee is doing during the time between NSI graduation and starting their first semester at university? Such as, are you attached to a command during that time, etc?

Thank you in advance.

1. Absolutely. . . I ended up attending a University that wasn't even on the top 5 I provided STA-21. The same goes for degrees. You can put your desired major to be anything, but that has no bearing on what you have to study.

2. I don't think there is necessarily as much time as you would think between NSI and school starting. There will be a check in date to your NROTC which will probably be a few weeks after you graduate NSI and every school is different. At my NROTC I checked in and then didn't set foot at the command again until the semester started which was about a three weeks later. If you are looking for a relaxed atmosphere like that I suggest you ask the following questions to OC's currently there: 1.) How relaxed is the unit and what is the current muster policy for OC's 2.) How much longer are the current CO and MOI going to be there? Like anywhere else in the military when new leadership comes in rules change. Your best hope is they tell you that you rarely muster in your off time and the CO and MOI are there for 2 more years.

breadandbutter

FY-12 Specwar Alternate
Question for prior selectees: When you go to NSI do they make you purchase those blue Navy cammies even if your designator never wears them? I figure they do but it seems like a waste of money.

KilroyUSN

Prior EM1(SS) - LTJG - VP P-8 NFO COTAC
None
Question for prior selectees: When you go to NSI do they make you purchase those blue Navy cammies even if your designator never wears them? I figure they do but it seems like a waste of money.

They didn't make us buy it when I went through in 2010, but I have heard that they are enforcing it now. My NROTC unit wears them a few times a year as well, so if you don't use it in your designator, you more than likely will wear them a few times while at your schools unit.

A_Longo88

"Wild Horse"
None
1. Absolutely. . . I ended up attending a University that wasn't even on the top 5 I provided STA-21. The same goes for degrees. You can put your desired major to be anything, but that has no bearing on what you have to study.

2. I don't think there is necessarily as much time as you would think between NSI and school starting. There will be a check in date to your NROTC which will probably be a few weeks after you graduate NSI and every school is different. At my NROTC I checked in and then didn't set foot at the command again until the semester started which was about a three weeks later. If you are looking for a relaxed atmosphere like that I suggest you ask the following questions to OC's currently there: 1.) How relaxed is the unit and what is the current muster policy for OC's 2.) How much longer are the current CO and MOI going to be there? Like anywhere else in the military when new leadership comes in rules change. Your best hope is they tell you that you rarely muster in your off time and the CO and MOI are there for 2 more years.

Thanks for the info. I was wondering the same thing for a while. Whats the best way to get ahold of some of the University OCs? Is the School which we are placed going to be the ultimate activity on our orders and NSI be an intermediate activity?

Lucky3

P-8 Driver
pilot
The easiest way to get a hold of an OC at a particular unit is email the NROTC unit and request information about the unit. Generally, they will get you in touch with an OC to answer all of your questions. Your NROTC will be the ultimate duty station on your NSI orders so you'll know when you have to report to your unit before you leave for NSI. I would suggest calling your NROTC unit because that date may be their generic report date and they will tell you to take a few more weeks off.

KevBot510

FY12 STA-21 SWO Selectee

Thank you in advance.

I got picked up SWO FY12 so I can share my experience from this year but like Lucky3 said, things change every year.
1.) To reiterate Lucky3, yes you can. I don't really see the point in providing a Top 3 in the application but if you get picked, they just want you to get accepted into any college. Although I have heard that if you want to go to the more expensive schools like SDSU, Texas A&M, or Penn, etc, then you need to apply to the school before you even find out the STA-21 results because the selection is that fierce. 2.)We reported to NSI Feb 19 and graduated Apr 13. My orders said to report May 12 but since I'm from the state I'm going to school in, I checked in the monday after graduation to save leave. I started the summer semester end of may and in between reporting and school starting, if the XO didn't need me to do anything around the unit I didn't show up and just waited for school to start....BUT each NROTC Unit is different so just contact them during NSI and keep them updated with your status.

Hope my info helped. Good luck this year!

OC Hill

KevBot510

FY12 STA-21 SWO Selectee

When we were at NSI back in feb, we were told to purchase them to have a full seabag. However they never did room inspections to make sure we had 3 pairs so they advice I would give you is 1.) Just buy one cuz you'll have at least one uniform inspection in them and wear them daily or 2.) Buy the required 3, leave the tags on 2 of them, and then before you leave NSI return the non-worn ones and get your money back. That's what a lot of people did who knew they would ever wear them.

When I went through they made us buy wash khakis, even though everyone knew they were being phased out

When I went through they made us buy wash khakis, even though everyone knew they were being phased out