• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY13 STA-21 Applicants

Do you think the numbers will go up next year?

• Total voters

A_Longo88

"Wild Horse"
None
A_Longo88, Are you stationed at NAS Jax?
Nope ... Im enjoyin the sunshine at NAS Whidbey Island .... lol ... I did write the draft for my CO's endorsement but both of my LORs were written by senior officers, one CWO5 and another from a retired CDR.

Lucky3

P-8 Driver
pilot
You think you get crap now wait until you get selected for advancement a month after the STA-21 results come out. They got a lot of crap from the chief's mess.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Did that too. Kinda felt bad for taking a first class billet, but kinda didn't at the same time. I was in a rate that only advanced six guys that cycle.

haubby

None
Contributor
Just wait until a couple people you thought were your friends, decide you're above them and outcast you because you got picked up and they didn't. Makes for a awkward couple of months.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Just FYI, the last three guys to post all went to NSI together way back in 2008. Hope all is well brothers ;)

Keith Delgado

FY-12 Med Corps Alternate
Has anyone ever tried to contact the prior selecties in thier option for advice? I was only able to find one of them (I looked in global and Facebook). I sent him a message on facebook and never heard back. Maybe it's just tough love. I guess if I'm selected, It would feel better knowing I did it without his help. Has anyone else tried this?

Popo Jijo

Primary Complete
Has anyone ever tried to contact the prior selecties in thier option for advice? I was only able to find one of them (I looked in global and Facebook). I sent him a message on facebook and never heard back. Maybe it's just tough love. I guess if I'm selected, It would feel better knowing I did it without his help. Has anyone else tried this?

Some of the people on this forum are prior selectees. As far as in their option, looking people up as you have is the only way. There are people that got picked up last year that I was able to talk to.

Lucky3

P-8 Driver
pilot
I think it is good thing you seek out the help of prior selectees, but honestly I don't think one can help much. We were going through the same anxiety as all of you during the countdown to selection. Nobody will tell you they new they had a STA spot in the bag in August. In fact, I think a few of us could get a lot of laughs if we went back to the FY 08 thread and lived the wait over again. No one really knows what set them apart enough to be selected. Look at the stats page I am sure was started for this FY group. You will see a lot of the same thing. EP's with the occasional MP, excellent or outstanding prt's, a few nams, random college credits, average GPAs, and a few LORs. You don't need us to tell you to get your PRT score up if it is a good, continue completing coursework, or work harder to get an EP. It is the little things you can't control (have limited control) that probably make the difference. Sincere recommendations from your CO, which will only came after an honest and impressive interview with him are worth their weight in gold. Good interviews with the boards set up for you will come from sincere confidence and an actual belief you should be an officer. Don't tell them what you want to hear. Tell them how you actually feel. Finally, I honestly believe there is a little luck involved. I have a friend who was selected for STA a few years before me. He had a SP on an eval, failed PRTs, and had no awards. He was a nuke, but wasn't selected for the nuke community. My screen name is Lucky 3 because I was selected the third time applying. The year he was selected I put a package in for the same community and wasn't selected. I was junior sailor of the year, earned my first nam, had 80 college credits not from military schools, and was ranked much higher by the CO.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
My screen name is Lucky 3 because I was selected the third time applying.

Lucky3, what is your status now? Commissioned/in training/waiting...? Your profile is kinda sparse...?:confused:
BzB

Lucky3

P-8 Driver
pilot
I just recently got back on here from 09-10ish. I commissioned almost two years ago and am 2 months from getting my wings in the Maritime community. I only have the dreaded RIs left!

hippievan

FY-13 STA-21 CEC Applicant
I was able to talk with a handful prior selects, I paid close attention to those selected in the last 2 FY because of the drop in numbers and difficulty. A consensus with everyone of them was they all had extremely strong CO recommendations and interviews. Next they said that documentation of continued leadership and successes with these leadership roles probably was a strong factor.

Take it for what it's worth really, I mean it was only a handful of people but it doesn't hurt to have ideas from all spectrums to help improve your package. Keep in mind though most of these people I spoke to were CEC selects, and they tend to choose senior enlisted members. This is probably because they require at least 4 years in before applying and they like sailors that have been aged and have a lot different experiences. But yet again take it for what it's worth right?

HOPEIMSELECTED4STA-21

FY12 & 13 CORE Applicant

I'm still in contact w/ one of the selectees from my command here in Hawaii, he was selected for IW for FY-11. He's at the University of Oklahoma having a great time.

HOPEIMSELECTED4STA-21

FY12 & 13 CORE Applicant
I have a feeling the numbers are going to go up this year, but I'm not going to go crazy checking the selection status every five minutes in October like I did last year.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
I was able to talk with a handful prior selects, I paid close attention to those selected in the last 2 FY because of the drop in numbers and difficulty.

Nice move, I bet the guys in previous FYs just cruised in on good looks and shit. :rolleyes:

I hate it when people discredit new guys because it was tougher "way back when". Conversely, I hate it when new guys (especially those who haven't been selected yet) do the same thing.