• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY13 STA-21 Applicants

Do you think the numbers will go up next year?

• Total voters

Macgyver

Hey is there a medical portion to this at all? Does that come after being selected? Another question for those who have submitted before what is the hardest part of this process?

If applying for a program option other than Pilot and NFO; you will only have to submit two medical forms. DD form 2801-7, AUG 2011 (ensure you OMB on the top right of the form expires in Aug 31, 2014) and DD form 2808. Both can be submitted starting January for the year of application and it must be completed by a medical officer not an IDC. My suggestion would be to submit asap, so it's one less thing to worry about. From my prospective, the hardest process is working with the colleges to develop a degree plan and ensuring all your documents are received by the college.

Time to play the waiting game. Now that my package is mailed off, I don't know what to do with all the extra time! How many times would you have to apply before you said forget it? My peers ask me this at work; they see how much work actually goes into putting a package together. I guess I would apply until I was too old for every option!

I agree with you on that one! This will be my fourth time applying. Hopefully this is my year! :) Like most people, I feel that I have a great shot, however if this isnt my year, Ill keep applying. Ive worked too hard to just give up. Besides, as time goes by and I continue to enhance my career, more oportunities for a commission will open up.

Good luck everyone!!!

Keith Delgado

FY-12 Med Corps Alternate
I agree with you on that one! This will be my fourth time applying. Hopefully this is my year! :) Like most people, I feel that I have a great shot, however if this isnt my year, Ill keep applying. Ive worked too hard to just give up. Besides, as time goes by and I continue to enhance my career, more oportunities for a commission will open up.

Good luck everyone!!!
Hopefully this will be your year! I believe last year you were applying for HR, Did you switch to Supply option?

Hopefully this will be your year! I believe last year you were applying for HR, Did you switch to Supply option?

And yours as well! Yep, I applied for HR/Core last year. This time Supply/Core. Since the results last year, I started speaking to Supply Officers, visiting ships, and doing some research.....just trying to gain more insight basically...and discovered that WOW...I can really see myself doing this and ENJOYING it.

PLUS....I can understand the reasoning behind 'If there is going to be 1 HR selected, it just might be a PS'

A_Longo88

"Wild Horse"
None
Time to play the waiting game. Now that my package is mailed off, I don't know what to do with all the extra time! How many times would you have to apply before you said forget it? My peers ask me this at work; they see how much work actually goes into putting a package together. I guess I would apply until I was too old for every option!
I agree. If your goal in the Navy is to earn a commission, keep pushing until you get it. Weather it be STA-21, OCS, or even LDO/CWO. One of my board questions was what would I do if I dont get selected. I told them I would apply again and again. By that time I will probably have my BS degree and then I could apply directly to OCS. And then by that time I will be a First Class and I could get the E-7 exam early to apply for LDO/CWO. My primary career goal right now in the Navy is to earn a commission so I am going to do everything in my will to reach it.

And yours as well! Yep, I applied for HR/Core last year. This time Supply/Core. Since the results last year, I started speaking to Supply Officers, visiting ships, and doing some research.....just trying to gain more insight basically...and discovered that WOW...I can really see myself doing this and ENJOYING it.

PLUS....I can understand the reasoning behind 'If there is going to be 1 HR selected, it just might be a PS'

Dont loose faith. Statistically, every single selectee for SWO(IP) has been an IT2 for the past like 3 or 4 years. I am an AS2. I have many certifications and college classes in the computer science field so I feel like I have a good chance to start a new trail. Like I said, my primary goal is to get commissioned. I would take any designator the Navy will give me. Although I love my enlisted rating, I want it because I want the greater opportunity to be a leader. When you become an officer you are no longer the technical expert. You will be a leader first and technical expert second. Just my 2 cents. Good Morning to you all !!

hippievan

FY-13 STA-21 CEC Applicant
Over the past couple years there has been a steady decline of qualified applicants. Do you think the applicants will continue to decrease as people begin to feel like they don't have a chance or it's too much work for a 1% opportunity? I mean if they are not dedicated to completing an application, they probably shouldn't become a commissioned officer. Although I have seen a couple quality applicants over here give up because of the work, the low selection rates, the worries about the budget, the troop cutbacks and etc.... What is everyones opinion on this?

A_Longo88

"Wild Horse"
None
Over the past couple years there has been a steady decline of qualified applicants. Do you think the applicants will continue to decrease as people begin to feel like they don't have a chance or it's too much work for a 1% opportunity? I mean if they are not dedicated to completing an application, they probably shouldn't become a commissioned officer. Although I have seen a couple quality applicants over here give up because of the work, the low selection rates, the worries about the budget, the troop cutbacks and etc.... What is everyones opinion on this?

That is exactly what I think is going to happen. I feel like people have just lost motivation and awareness about the program has gone down. I think there will be less applicants and more selection quotas. I think we will all get selected.

Nickabod.crane

That is exactly what I think is going to happen. I feel like people have just lost motivation and awareness about the program has gone down. I think there will be less applicants and more selection quotas. I think we will all get selected.

Wishful thinking, we all want the quotas to be higher and the number of applicants lower

hippievan

haha yes I love it, great thinking!! I am with you that I do believe desire and awareness have decreased. I do think that the selection numbers from last cycle will be around the norm from now on, maybe up a little, say around a 100. I only make this judgement because after reviewing the CEC community overview month after month, the projected gains and for the community will stay at where they are now about 85 total (OCS,Lateral transfer, USNA, STA-21, etc. This means the quotas for STA-21 should be about 2 or 3, and I think this goes for every community. Who knows though I could just be talking out my butt.

breadandbutter

FY-12 Specwar Alternate
I'm definitely not going to bang my head against the wall this year trying to deduce how many slots my option will have. Last year I was told that Specwar was getting 4 slots (from a pretty reputable source), and we ended up with 1 and I got Alternate. This year I'm taking all speculation about quotas with a grain of salt. Hoping for higher numbers though obviously.

hippievan

I'm definitely not going to bang my head against the wall this year trying to deduce how many slots my option will have. Last year I was told that Specwar was getting 4 slots (from a pretty reputable source), and we ended up with 1 and I got Alternate. This year I'm taking all speculation about quotas with a grain of salt. Hoping for higher numbers though obviously.
No banging? Come on what are you going to do to pass the time? lol Just Kidding. Nobody really knows for sure until the board convenes. Congrats on the alternate though, at least you know you are at the top of the list this year. Good luck to you!!

breadandbutter

FY-12 Specwar Alternate
No banging? Come on what are you going to do to pass the time? lol Just Kidding. Nobody really knows for sure until the board convenes. Congrats on the alternate though, at least you know you are at the top of the list this year. Good luck to you!!
Thanks. I tell myself these things but come Sept/Oct I know I'll be slowly losing my mind just like everyone else here.

hippievan

Thanks. I tell myself these things but come Sept/Oct I know I'll be slowly losing my mind just like everyone else here.
You are correct, I think that is why we are all here on this site. I know I have already lost it, my wife is very supportive of my applying and excited about the future if I were to get selected, but she is ready for October already. I have gotten a little obsessed with it all. lol It's hard not to be, just knowing the great opportunity that exist by getting selected, I mean so many good things come from it.

Keith Delgado

FY-12 Med Corps Alternate
I'm not sure if overall motivation for STA-21 has decreased but if it has, it's says a lot about the drive and motivation of those still applying. If you are willing to compete for the one or two slots in your option, you obviously really want it. If you truly want it, you'll eventually get it. If it was an easy proccess, everyone would do it.

Popo Jijo

Primary Complete
It is about that time for people to start coming out of the wood works. It is finally the end of the STA-21 application season. Knowing that my package is in and good to go is a great feeling. I second the notion that we all get selected. As far as this talk about the number of quotas, I won't hold my breath. Just as long as it doesn't say zero, than that means that I have a shot.

There is one thing interesting that noticed this year about my package though. Last year I applied for NFO/CORE (as I did this year also) and there was a note saying that I did not qualify for Core due to my age. This year they did not put that note. So maybe now that I have my AA they are willing to grant me a waiver for it. Not sure. I was too stubborn to not apply for it again this year. =