• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY10 STA-21 Applicants gather round!

BOaB

Also it is easy for me to be all offended when people make fun of us when I get the bonus.

(ELT, this isn't directed to you but leads in to my $.02)

While I can certainly sympathize with those on the other side of the fence when it comes to nukes and our bonuses/pro pay, I find it difficult to believe that they actually believe the things they are saying. To try to determine a pay that a specific rate "deserves" based on "how hard they work" (which is a pretty ambiguous measurement anyway) in relation to another is pretty short sighted.

People can talk about what we deserve all they want to, but to ignore the basic principle of supply and demand is either them being naive or willingly ignorant. The supply of candidates that qualify to enter the training pipeline is rather small compared to most other rates. The demand for nukes is very high due to both the Navy being undermanned as well as the civilian community luring us away with even larger pay checks/better quality of life (again, due to high degree of training required as well as such a limited pool of candidates). As a nuke mechanic, I was able to get orders to any submarine in the fleet that I desired because almost every single M-div is at about 60% manning.

Pay for any job isn't determined based solely on how laborious the job is, especially in relation to another job. How many 2nd and 3rd classes really deserve more than the Marine who is getting shot at on the front lines? The "Pay based on relativity to other jobs" argument is a slippery slope and isn't just limited to nukes vs. the world...

S8G2F18

Yep. I totally agree. I actually feel the worst for the mechanics and technicians that work side-by-side with Nukes, doing the same job, without the pay.

There is no such thing.

The only thing I can think of that you might be referring to is Secondary Mechanics on a surface ship... and you're right they probably don't deserve the extra pay... essentially that's where the useless nukes go who managed to make it through the pipeline.

navy09

None
What rates comprise your A-Gang? R-Div? I assume it's fewer rates and more responsibility than on a surface ship... Sub life fascinates me, though I'd never want to do it myself.

navy09

None
MCPON's response on Facebook:

All. No word as of yet. I've got my office looking into this. Sorry.

:icon_smil That's actually pretty cool. The only way he could elevate himself would be to call all the right people in from their day off and get the results released today.

MR1(SW)-->ENS

FY-10 STA-21 Core Selectee
To anyone applying to ODU:

Do they accept SMART transcript credits at all? Right now i have only applied to SUNY Maritime for their Marine Engineering program but i noticed ODU has a few nice engineering programs as well. right now i have my AA in Marine Engineering and about 30% of that degree is SMART credits. Also when you guys applied, did you have to fill out the in-state tuition form as well with your application seeing as with STA-21 no matter what college you go to you apply for in state tuition. any hemlp is greatly appreciated. Also i tried looking for the name of the contact at ODU some guys were throwing around i guess he is a STA-21 coordinator there? Thanks Airdales!!!

PS Im a Surface Engineer whats a re-enlistment bonus??? What does that mean??? i mean i work long hours too but i have never heard of this SRB.

Brydown1

FY-07 STA-21 Pilot Selectee
Well, I must say I understand both sides. All I know for sure is that, there is no amount of money in the world that the Navy could pay me to want to go back to being a Sub Nuke again.

When I was a nuke, the bonus was just enough to make me happy for 35 seconds once a year. So do nukes work for their bonus, maybe, but unless you have walked both sides of the fence (and not just a power school or prototype dropout) then I don't think you can truly judge. The bonuses aren't there to make up for the work we/they do or to say that we work harder then other rates, it is there because the fact is the civilian companies do offer more money and less hassle.

And I second the thought that the marines who are shot at everyday, deserve a much bigger paycheck then I get. As shitty as my life was on a sub, I didn't have to worry about whether or not I would have to attend my friends funeral because he was shot to death or deliver dog tags to your friends parents. This is not to exclude the Navy personnel who have done the same exact thing as the marines do, my hat goes off to you as well.

CoKoBean

(ELT, this isn't directed to you but leads in to my $.02)

While I can certainly sympathize with those on the other side of the fence when it comes to nukes and our bonuses/pro pay, I find it difficult to believe that they actually believe the things they are saying. To try to determine a pay that a specific rate "deserves" based on "how hard they work" (which is a pretty ambiguous measurement anyway) in relation to another is pretty short sighted.

People can talk about what we deserve all they want to, but to ignore the basic principle of supply and demand is either them being naive or willingly ignorant. The supply of candidates that qualify to enter the training pipeline is rather small compared to most other rates. The demand for nukes is very high due to both the Navy being undermanned as well as the civilian community luring us away with even larger pay checks/better quality of life (again, due to high degree of training required as well as such a limited pool of candidates). As a nuke mechanic, I was able to get orders to any submarine in the fleet that I desired because almost every single M-div is at about 60% manning.

Pay for any job isn't determined based solely on how laborious the job is, especially in relation to another job. How many 2nd and 3rd classes really deserve more than the Marine who is getting shot at on the front lines? The "Pay based on relativity to other jobs" argument is a slippery slope and isn't just limited to nukes vs. the world...

Bonuses are for RETENTION and REENLISTMENT. Total supply and demand as stated. Special Duty Assigment Pay, Specialty Pats and deployment-related pays are to compensate for the level of training and or hardship associated with that job. EOD has skyrocketed in bonuses just within the past few years, but it is b/c it is highly undermanned and over-deployed. PLus they get specialty pays related to their specific training. Seems fair that any job (Nuke, EOD, etc) that is undermanned and/or has an extremely tight pipeline that weeds out way more people than it can ever recruit deserves compensation.

That being said, the EOD bonus just went down. Is there really anything less crappy than it was last year about the job? No...just the economy and very slight increase in retention. You all "deserve" more than you are getting, but if it was really as easy-peasy to do some of these jobs that get paid more...everyone would be doing them. Just sayin'.

Brydown1

FY-07 STA-21 Pilot Selectee

Do they accept SMART transcript credits at all? Right now i have only applied to SUNY Maritime for their Marine Engineering program but i noticed ODU has a few nice engineering programs as well. right now i have my AA in Marine Engineering and about 30% of that degree is SMART credits. Also when you guys applied, did you have to fill out the in-state tuition form as well with your application seeing as with STA-21 no matter what college you go to you apply for in state tuition. any hemlp is greatly appreciated. Also i tried looking for the name of the contact at ODU some guys were throwing around i guess he is a STA-21 coordinator there? Thanks Airdales!!!

PS Im a Surface Engineer whats a re-enlistment bonus??? What does that mean??? i mean i work long hours too but i have never heard of this SRB.

Each program is different for what credits you get from ODU, but yes ODU does accept SMART credit. I am not sure what you have to even venture a guess at what you would get.

I do not know of any STA-21 coordinator that people maybe talking to, but if you have a AA in Marine Engineering then you might want to talk to Tony Dean, adean@odu.edu. He is an adviser in the MET department that specializes in Marine Engineering. He also works with a lot of Navy and a lot of STA-21, so he could be one of the most knowledgeable faculty members at ODU.

I hope that helps you.

Reactions: Van

LAX89

If you want to get a general idea of what SMART credits they will take, go to the ODU site, and somewhere under transfer students they have something called monarch transformation. It gives you an idea of what credits they take from what school when transfering, for military credits enter DC and then you can pick the service, however, the previous reply is correct as well, it depends on what program you are going for, and your best bet is to talk to an actual person.

leadblimp

Oh that tubedaze stuff is freaking AWESOME! Made my lousy wednesday of lounging and looking for something that isnt there, I have looked so many times i cant figure out what is so important that I am waiting for anymore. I know CPO results!

Bill3753

Quiet night. What happened to the push for 4000? If this were baseball and our post were hits, we would be in the hall of fame someday.

mh53eflyguy

Stashed...again.
Wow, still nothing. I don't know if this has changed, but some of you will have literally until Dec 17th to get everything in. Quite frankly, you can do it, but if ANY school drags their feet....

I really feel bad for all of you folks. I saw that the MCPON is looking into it via Facebook.

leadblimp

Quiet night. What happened to the push for 4000? If this were baseball and our post were hits, we would be in the hall of fame someday.
Well...Im not going to be in the hall of fame. I bet on my team to win. I was only following in the footsteps of the great Pete Rose. He can do no wrong in my book.